DAT Breakdown 25TS/26AA/20PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wangroad77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Resources I used to study:
Feralis’s bio notes
DAT Bootcamp for unlimited PAT practices and sample exam simulation
DAT Destroyer
Chad’s video for gen chem and ochem
Highly recommend all of them.

Study Schedule:
I spent 5 weeks preparing for the DAT. 4 out of the 5 weeks are used to learn and review the different topics. I dedicate my last week to practice exams.

Thoughts of the exam:
Biology (22): The exam questions were pretty random. It was harder than I expected. A few questions were really similar to the questions in Destroyer. Bio is very hard to prepare because there are SO many things to cover. I would recommend reading and understanding Feralis’s notes and then do LOTS of practice problems. Bootcamp and Destroyer questions are very good.

General Chemistry (30): Real exams questions are easier than the ones asked in bootcamp. Chad’s quizzes are very similar to the exam questions. Use Chad’s and you will be fine.

Organic Chemistry (25): Same comment as above

Quantitative Reasoning (27): I did all 5 practice problems from bootcamp. Again, key to do well on this section is to do lots of practice. The bootcamp questions are on par if not slightly harder than the real exam questions.

Reading Comprehension (26): I was pleasantly surprised by this score. Reading is not my forte and I consistently ran out of time on this section during the bootcamp practice exams. The real exam was so much easier than the practice questions. I can’t guarantee that it’s true for everyone but that’s the case for me. I actually finished all the questions with a minute to spare. A lot of people use the search-and-destroy method for this section. Personally I prefer to read the whole passage first and then answer the question. Use whichever method that works for you. Try to read 2-3 scientific articles each day to get use to the passages that DAT will ask.

PAT (20): Ah, my lowest section. Oh PAT, why must you be so hard. I thought I failed this section. All the angles look the same. The keyholes were really complicated. I got stuck on a couple TFE questions. By the time I’m down to 5 minutes, I had 18 questions left. I ended up guessing the rest of the questions to make sure I answered all of them. I wished I practice more.

Recommendation:
Hole-punching: I use the line of symmetry technique.
Cube: Used Kaplan Tally Technique
For everything else, practice.

Summary:
Practice is the only way you will be able to do well. Good luck to everyone who is taking the exam!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: 1 users
You'd think that someone motivated enough to score a 26 on the DAT would know where to post the breakdown.

Reactions: 1 users
Oops. My bad. Reposted on the DAT discussion thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you currently in college or did you take time off to study for the DAT? Great scores btw! :)

Reactions: 1 user
How much did you study a day? I'm going over chads videos right now and plan on finishing DAT Bootcamp. Cliffs 3rd ed for bio. I don't know how much material I need to cover a day. I'm scared at my current pace I'll run out of time.

Nice. With those scores you don't need to worry about the PAT

How much did you study a day? I'm going over chads videos right now and plan on finishing DAT Bootcamp. Cliffs 3rd ed for bio. I don't know how much material I need to cover a day. I'm scared at my current pace I'll run out of time.
I watched 2-3 Chad's videos+quizzes, reviewed 5 pages of Feralis's notes, practiced 1 PAT exam using bootcamp generator each day. For QR and RC, when I started to prepare them on the 4th week, I tried to do 1 exam each day for both section . My pace was extremely slow because I wanted to make sure I completely understand the current subject before moving on. Time was definitely an issue for me, but in the end it worked out for me. Do your best and learned as much as you can each day. Good luck!