DAT Breakdown 5/22/14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gooz88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, been lurking a while and thought I'd give you guys a quick breakdown of my DAT. I studied for ~7 weeks, and really picked it the pace with about 4 weeks left before the exam, probably studying about 9-10 hours a day.

Scores:
Bio 22
Gchem 23
Ochem 21
PAT 22
RC 24
QR 19
TS: 22
AA: 22

Bio:
Materials - Cliffs AP Bio 3rd edition, Ferali's, DAT Destroyer, DAT Bootcamp
Started by thoroughly going through sections I was unfamiliar with on Cliffs and skimming through sections I was comfortable with. I went through 2-3 chapters a night after I finished studying for other things. After the review, I went through 40 questions on the DAT Destroyer per day. On some of the days I went through Bootcamp instead. DAT Destroyer was harder than the real thing and Bootcamp only slightly harder. Used Ferali's to go over things I got wrong on practice tests. I would recommend both for practice. I knew the actual test would be random going in and it was. My bio section has a pretty even spread of topics. There were like 3-4 taxonomy questions, 1 anatomy question. All of it was pretty straightforward and were either know it or don't know it questions. I marked about 12 questions in this section and thought I might get a 19, but I guess I got lucky on some of my guesses.

Gchem/Ochem:
Materials - Chads, DAT Destroyer, DAT Bootcamp
I was the most worried about these sections and put in a lot of time to study them. Started with Chad's Gchem. Went through a "day" of Chad's lecture's every day and took notes/made flashcards. Did the quizzes right after each section. Did the same thing for Ochem. Chad's quizzes are probably the level of difficulty you should expect on the real thing. Got killed by these sections in destroyer and would definitely say it was overkill. I thought Bootcamp chem's were hard too but a lot more reasonable/useful in my opinion. I would recommend using both, Destroyer has the quantity of question's you'll need to solidify concepts into long term memory, and Bootcamp questions are more representative and have great explanations to go along with them. I probably has about 10 calculation questions on gchem, all pretty simple stuff, and the rest was conceptual. My Ochem section had 5-6 laboratory technique questions which I thought was pretty odd, probably missed a couple of them, the rest was pretty straightforward.

PAT:
Materials - Crack DAT PAT, DAT Bootcamp
Bought the 10 test version crack dat pat. Went through all of them first before going through bootcamp. Crack DAT PAT is easier than bootcamp but both valuable in my opinion. I averaged 19-21 on CDP and 18-20 on bootcamp. The more practice you get for this section, the better. Keyholes on the real thing were harder than CDP but much easier than bootcamp. TFE was about the same for both, Angles were easier in the real thing, don't think I missed a single one, Cube counting was easier than CDP and same as bootcamp, Pattern folding was easier than CDP and same as bootcamp. I went through one round of Bootcamps Angle generator and cube counting generator every night, and I think it paid off.

RC
Materials: Bootcamp
Just went through Bootcamp for practice along with the 2007 and 2009 ADA Tests. All the practice tests were harder than the real thing but good practice. I averaged 20 on Bootcamp and got even lower on the 2007 and 2009 practices. I think I had a lot more focus for this section on the real thing. My passages weren't that interesting but they weren't too hard to read.

QR:
Materials: DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Bootcamp, Chads
My math was pretty weak to begin with. Went over Chad's videos first to get general concepts down, then dove into Math destroyer to get totally pooped on. Did the tests untimed and it wasn't until about test 5 that I finally started getting things down. The math on the back of the DAT Destroyer were about the same level of difficulty as the real thing. The Bootcamp QR was difficult, but I averaged 19-20 on bootcamp and ended up getting a 19. The real test had a pretty even spread of all types of problems. A lot of similar problems show up on the math destroyer.

2007 ADA scores:
Bio 24
gchem 23
Ochem 28
PAT 20
RC 18
QR 22

2009 ADA scores:
Bio 26
Gchem 23
ochem 23
PAT 21
RC 18
QR 16

Good luck to everyone on your studies. Let me know if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Great job! I bet you can't wait to celebrate (if you haven't already) :) I do have a question: you said you went through about 2-3 chapters in cliffs a day. I'm having extreme problems with studying for bio and just curious how you went through them so fast? Any tricks or tips? I think I'm just getting really bogged down in the tiny details and stressing myself put trying to memorize every single detail. I'm maybe finishing 1 chapter every two days!!

Great job! I bet you can't wait to celebrate (if you haven't already) :) I do have a question: you said you went through about 2-3 chapters in cliffs a day. I'm having extreme problems with studying for bio and just curious how you went through them so fast? Any tricks or tips? I think I'm just getting really bogged down in the tiny details and stressing myself put trying to memorize every single detail. I'm maybe finishing 1 chapter every two days!!

I focused on big picture concepts and the main points for every chapter. I also made flashcards for a lot of the key words. If you are using the DAT destroyer then you'll get exposure to some of the more detailed things. I had a strong bio background prior to the test so maybe that helped. I would recommend maybe going through and understanding the main concepts and key words, then once you have a solid foundation come back and look at the more detailed concepts on Ferali's

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome job! I'm using the same materials as you for bio. Did you just read them or did you take notes?

I'm having extreme problems with studying for bio and just curious how you went through them so fast? Any tricks or tips? I think I'm just getting really bogged down in the tiny details and stressing myself put trying to memorize every single detail. I'm maybe finishing 1 chapter every two days!!

Focus on the big concepts like Glycolysis, the Krebs Cycle, functions of organelles, anatomy, mitosis/meiosis, photosynthesis, hormones, biomes, etc. Once you have those down, then concentrate on the details. I believe that in order to score a 20+ on Bio, you NEED to know the details. The details are what makes the difference between an 18 and a 21+

Reactions: 1 users
Sick scores!! Good job. Any tips on the reading section
I just did some practice from bootcamp and the 2007/2009 exams. You should use them to try and figure out what strategy works for you. For me, if it was an easy read then I would read the article. If its a harder read then I would alternate between reading a few paragraphs and S&D. RC on the real thing wasn't too bad (for me at least).

Awesome job! I'm using the same materials as you for bio. Did you just read them or did you take notes?
I made flashcards. Flashcards may not work for you but I would recommend you take some kind of notes where you can go back and look at later. I think this really helps commit things to memory.

Awesome scores! Congratulations on finishing the DAT, you did a fantastic job.
Thanks Ari, you've contributed a great program, I learned a lot from Bootcamp.

Hey everyone, been lurking a while and thought I'd give you guys a quick breakdown of my DAT. I studied for ~7 weeks, and really picked it the pace with about 4 weeks left before the exam, probably studying about 9-10 hours a day.

Scores:
Bio 22
Gchem 23
Ochem 21
PAT 22
RC 24
QR 19
TS: 22
AA: 22

Bio:
Materials - Cliffs AP Bio 3rd edition, Ferali's, DAT Destroyer, DAT Bootcamp
Started by thoroughly going through sections I was unfamiliar with on Cliffs and skimming through sections I was comfortable with. I went through 2-3 chapters a night after I finished studying for other things. After the review, I went through 40 questions on the DAT Destroyer per day. On some of the days I went through Bootcamp instead. DAT Destroyer was harder than the real thing and Bootcamp only slightly harder. Used Ferali's to go over things I got wrong on practice tests. I would recommend both for practice. I knew the actual test would be random going in and it was. My bio section has a pretty even spread of topics. There were like 3-4 taxonomy questions, 1 anatomy question. All of it was pretty straightforward and were either know it or don't know it questions. I marked about 12 questions in this section and thought I might get a 19, but I guess I got lucky on some of my guesses.

Gchem/Ochem:
Materials - Chads, DAT Destroyer, DAT Bootcamp
I was the most worried about these sections and put in a lot of time to study them. Started with Chad's Gchem. Went through a "day" of Chad's lecture's every day and took notes/made flashcards. Did the quizzes right after each section. Did the same thing for Ochem. Chad's quizzes are probably the level of difficulty you should expect on the real thing. Got killed by these sections in destroyer and would definitely say it was overkill. I thought Bootcamp chem's were hard too but a lot more reasonable/useful in my opinion. I would recommend using both, Destroyer has the quantity of question's you'll need to solidify concepts into long term memory, and Bootcamp questions are more representative and have great explanations to go along with them. I probably has about 10 calculation questions on gchem, all pretty simple stuff, and the rest was conceptual. My Ochem section had 5-6 laboratory technique questions which I thought was pretty odd, probably missed a couple of them, the rest was pretty straightforward.

PAT:
Materials - Crack DAT PAT, DAT Bootcamp
Bought the 10 test version crack dat pat. Went through all of them first before going through bootcamp. Crack DAT PAT is easier than bootcamp but both valuable in my opinion. I averaged 19-21 on CDP and 18-20 on bootcamp. The more practice you get for this section, the better. Keyholes on the real thing were harder than CDP but much easier than bootcamp. TFE was about the same for both, Angles were easier in the real thing, don't think I missed a single one, Cube counting was easier than CDP and same as bootcamp, Pattern folding was easier than CDP and same as bootcamp. I went through one round of Bootcamps Angle generator and cube counting generator every night, and I think it paid off.

RC
Materials: Bootcamp
Just went through Bootcamp for practice along with the 2007 and 2009 ADA Tests. All the practice tests were harder than the real thing but good practice. I averaged 20 on Bootcamp and got even lower on the 2007 and 2009 practices. I think I had a lot more focus for this section on the real thing. My passages weren't that interesting but they weren't too hard to read.

QR:
Materials: DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Bootcamp, Chads
My math was pretty weak to begin with. Went over Chad's videos first to get general concepts down, then dove into Math destroyer to get totally pooped on. Did the tests untimed and it wasn't until about test 5 that I finally started getting things down. The math on the back of the DAT Destroyer were about the same level of difficulty as the real thing. The Bootcamp QR was difficult, but I averaged 19-20 on bootcamp and ended up getting a 19. The real test had a pretty even spread of all types of problems. A lot of similar problems show up on the math destroyer.

2007 ADA scores:
Bio 24
gchem 23
Ochem 28
PAT 20
RC 18
QR 22

2009 ADA scores:
Bio 26
Gchem 23
ochem 23
PAT 21
RC 18
QR 16

Good luck to everyone on your studies. Let me know if you have any questions.
Do you need to have the DAT completed in order to submit your AADSAS application? If not, how will that affect your chance of being accepted? I wanted to submit my app ASAP but dont take the DAT until August 5! Gah!

Do you need to have the DAT completed in order to submit your AADSAS application? If not, how will that affect your chance of being accepted? I wanted to submit my app ASAP but dont take the DAT until August 5! Gah!

Definitely submit your application once it opens June 2nd! Although your application won't be "complete" until your DAT scores are in, it takes a while for all the transcripts, letters of evaluations, etc. to get processed anyways so might as well do that to prevent any delays. If all of those things are ready to go, once your DAT scores are in, your application will be sent off to your respective schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get any "curveball" questions in the QR? I usually skip any QR question that takes me more than 20 seconds to understand what the question is even asking...been struggling in this section in both Bootcamp and Destroyer (TIME IS AGAINST ME!!! TT.TT)

Did you get any "curveball" questions in the QR? I usually skip any QR question that takes me more than 20 seconds to understand what the question is even asking...been struggling in this section in both Bootcamp and Destroyer (TIME IS AGAINST ME!!! TT.TT)

When I took my test, I received a couple curve balls, but there were so many easy ones that I had time to really work out the curve balls. I really thought I would score higher in QR than I really did. Also, many people say no to calculators but it worked fine for me

When I took my test, I received a couple curve balls, but there were so many easy ones that I had time to really work out the curve balls. I really thought I would score higher in QR than I really did. Also, many people say no to calculators but it worked fine for me
Good to know!

Yea, I've been relying on the calculator a little more because come QR section, my brain is fried and I can barely do basic math without errors. Of course, mental math may be faster in the long run...thanks so much!

Yes there were a few curveballs but nothing impossible, there were also a lot of "free points" questions. I think I made a number of silly mistakes on this section so just make sure you read the questions and know what they want. I also think fatigue and the coldness of the room really kick in during this section, so I'd recommend taking full length practice tests.

Last edited: