1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!

DAT breakdown 5/29

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Ashleyzzzzz, May 30, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Ashleyzzzzz

Ashleyzzzzz 2+ Year Member

Feb 3, 2014
    Boston, Massachusetts
    I took my first DAT Thursday night. I absolutely bombed biology, and was pretty much brain dead in RC. Without further due, here are my scores:
    PA 20
    QR 21
    RC 17
    Biology 16
    GC 23
    Organic 22
    TS 20
    AA 20

(Skip this paragraph if you just want to know my test itself.) Overall, I didn't actually studied that much. I was not a science major in college (econ and math major). I have already graduated, and works at the performing arts, so I have weird hours, no real weekends, and have side jobs to support myself as an starving artist. I knew that I had to take the DAT at some point this summer, so studied a little bit on and off (definitely more off than on) since February. I took a long break from studying because I was so occupied by my performances until early May, at which I wasn't sure if I would be ready to take the DAT yet. Finally, 9 days before my test date, I decided to register for the test, and logistics turned out that the only option was 5/29, which was 9 days away. It was crazy, absolutely DO NOT recommend doing this. So moral of the story -- register your DAT early, folks!

In the short 9 days (actually less), I tried to go through DAT destroyer (did not finish. up to #300 in biology, ~#100 for GC, and #200 for OC), and also did a few tests with DAT Bootcamp for science and reading (did not finish). It had been a while since my science days (4-6 years), so I had a lot of refreshing to do. I did briefly went through Chad's video on the topics I need for OC. Also read through Cliff AP bio, and supplemented it with random Youtube videos on whatever area I didn't do well on DAT destroyer. And I went over my biochem/physiology notes from college days. For PAT, I mostly used Crack the DAT. DAT Bootcamp for RC. I didn't spend any time reviewing gen chem /math/RC because my study time was extremely limited. Again, I don't recommend doing this, folks!

OK, now comes the real breakdown:
    Biology: It was hard. Harder than DAT Destroyer. I had always done well in genetics section, but there were a few problems on the test that was like "huh?" Topics are quite random, but barely any physiology. I spent 70% of my time studying bio, yet I did the worst in it. Sigh.
    GC: Way easier than DAT Destroyer. Don't have much advice for studying GC. Just know the equations well, understand the few main concepts and you should be all set.
    OC: Chad's video helped a lot. Also study the mechanisms helps if you don't memorize stuff well. I memorized as least amount of facts as possible, and relied on mechanisms to find out my answers. Use unit analysis as a last resort tool.
    PAT: Crack the DAT. Also helps if you physically make some of the shapes and figuring out relationships between sides for TFE.
    RC: Can't offer much advice in them. English was my second language, wasn't a science major, and didn't do much science research. Most of my questions were S&D friendly, though my brain was dead when I was at my 3rd passage, and I kept reading the same line. Used a mix of "Question road map" strategy and "S&D" (mostly when I ran out of time).
    QR: As I said before, I didn't review this at all. Knowing my test now, I probably would have done some reviewing on unit conversions and trigs.

Additional tips: Felt the DAT official practice tests were a bit easier than my real DAT exam, and my scores from the practice tests let my guards down a bit. Argh!

So yeah. That's my summary. Still trying to decide if I want to take DAT again. Good luck guys!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. BrazilianRider

BrazilianRider 2+ Year Member

Oct 28, 2013
    What official DAT practice tests did you use? Both the 2007 and the 2009 version, or just one of them?

4. Ashleyzzzzz

Feb 3, 2014
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Both. Especially the 2007 one. My biology was 19 on that one and 18 on the 2009 test. Don't remember exact scores for the other science sections, but mostly in the 22-25 range.
    I did worse in 2007 pat though. Guess I wasn't used to the bad printing quality.

5. BrazilianRider

BrazilianRider 2+ Year Member

Oct 28, 2013
    How would you compare Bootcamp to the real exam?

6. Ashleyzzzzz

Feb 3, 2014
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Can't really tell because I didn't finish doing them. Did 4 tests in bio and IMO it's easier than my actual test. Only did test 1 and 2 in GC, felt real test was easier. OC felt the same maybe? Reading felt harder than the real test because I had significantly more s&d questions in real test.

7. biomolecmed

biomolecmed 2+ Year Member

Apr 7, 2012
    You got decent scores. See you had a tough luck with Bio. I see mixed reviews on this forum. Some say Destroyer is too tough and an overkill, some say problems are harder on real DAT than Destroyer. Same is said about Chads and Crack DAT, some say chad is too easy, some say he is just right. I see it all comes down to what version of DAT you will get.

8. Ashleyzzzzz

Feb 3, 2014
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Thanks, biomolecmed! I agree that biology section of the DAT is probably the least predictable of all.
    Also, I have been getting quite a few messages on what topics I missed studying for the bio section, and here is my answer:

I don't think I missed any topic per say, BUT I think I was more focusing on "the big picture" aka the mechanism of how things work due to my extremely limited time, but my DAT bio tested very heavily on facts... It felt really weird, because unlike my high school bio classes, most of my college biology classes had been focusing on how things work on an integrated level instead of trivial facts. I felt my undergrad biology classes definitely wasn't setting me up for the DAT exam even though the classes were quite challenging, just with a different focus. Maybe this would vary from school to school?

So to sum it up, I would say, depth of knowledge is also important than width, if that makes sense at all...

9. Daneosaurus

Daneosaurus D2 5+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Interesting take. That's the exact opposite of what I have been hearing.

10. Ashleyzzzzz

Feb 3, 2014
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Yeah. It really caught me off guard because I thought that was the trend of DAT bio... I guess you just have to brace yourself for everything....

11. panmit

panmit 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2014
    Were there any taxonomy/classication questions on your version of the test?

12. Ashleyzzzzz

Feb 3, 2014
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Yes. There were some taxonomy questions, but not overly emphasized.