DAT Breakdown 6/10/14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paulyg11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time SDN lurker but never posted. I feel that I should give back after all of you guys helped me so much with all of the posts about how to prepare for the DAT.
So here's the breakdown
PAT 18
Qr 15
Bio 22
Chem 22
Orgo 20
RC 20
TS 21
AA 20

When I got my scores I was very satisfied except for the Qr, obviously. I feel like time just for away from me during that section. I honestly thought I did much better in Qr then a 15 I was moving along in that section then looked up with 1 min to go and ten questions! Just head to press C down the line for the rest ..

Anyways my preparation started in January with light reviewing of the material basically everyday then in mid April about 2 months before the exam I picked up speed studying about 4-6 hours a day. The light reviewing including brushing up on major topics through ap cliffs and started to go through Dat destroyer the first time.

Materials.. DAT destroyer, CDP, cliffs ap bio, Feralis notes, math destroyer and the old 07 and 09 ADA exams.
I really felt that the destroyer prepared me extremely well for all of the sciences especially for those totally out of no where questions. It was pretty much my go to material for everything. I highly recommend CDP as I was averaging an 18 and that's exactly what I got. Feralis notes was also extremely helpful in clarifying bio especially since I haven't taken a bio coarse in 4 years.

Another note for PAT I used the grid strategy for hole punching and the hill technique for angles, those helped so much. I also guess C on the entire top front end section which was my strategy all along, because I don't understand TFE and never will. Keyholes and pattern folding were pretty much on par with CDP.

For reading my strategy was to read the first paragraph of each story and then the first line of each paragraph after and quickly map it based off of what I read. I combined this with search and destroy which worked for 90% of the questions. The other 10% were questions asking me to infer something based on info in the passage. The only problem I had with this section was that I was taking to much time and as what happened in QR I looked up and saw a minute to go and still had a bunch of questions to do.

I guess looking back now I really wish that I gave more time to math. I was shocked with this score because in both the 2009 and 2007 ADA I got 28 and 32 right respectively. Time simply got away from me as I didn't find the questions that difficult. During the 15 minute tutorial I wrote down a whole page worth of formulas that I memorized of a a cheat sheet that I created from the formula sheets in the math destroyer. That sheet was priceless during the QR because at that point my brain was mush and I could have done much worse.

My biggest regret is not working on my timing as much as I should have. The only section that I finished with time to spare was PAT and thats because I guessed TFE. So if I can give over some advice, when working with the study materials like for example the destroyer take the questions in blocks of 40 for bio and 30 for GC and OC and strictly time yourself. Same goes for reading and PAT. The only reading practice that I did was the 09 and 07 ADA exams and they were pretty good practice.

Anyways if you guys wanna know anything else please respond ..

Will post the score report in the morning.

Thanks Again

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Guessing C was your strategy for TFE?!
Yea.. for me TFE was the toughest part of PAT and I really did not understand it. I noticed then when I attempt the section I take way to much time and also Never got more then 3 right. So I figured that I am better off guessing C down the line which could give me 3-4 right and save me a ton of time. So I went into the test and knew right away that I was not going to attempt that part and guessed C all the way and moved on to hole punching.

Reactions: 1 user