DAT Breakdown 6/24 (26TS 24AA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babs90

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I took my DAT yesterday, and here is my breakdown:
S.JPG

I started studying about 6 months ago, I spent roughly 8-12 hours a day. I planned my days out, and broke down the amount of material for each day, so I wouldn’t get overwhelmed. A lot of people may use flashcards or something else, but I preferred to hand write all my notes, multiple times.

What I used:

PAT: I used TopScore Pro which I thought was the closest and most realistic program to use in regards to practice for the PAT. Although only 3 practice exams are provided with TopScore, the TFE, angles, cube counting and hole punching are pretty much spot on!

Reading: I used Kaplan study materials in order to prepare for reading. My approach was search and destroy, and with each practice passage, I learned how to skim passages with many paragraphs at an optimal rate. When doing search and destroy, I skimmed each paragraph and jotted down keywords and facts that I thought would be useful.

Math: The Math Destroyer is an absolute must! Every possible question is explained, and really teaches you the different approaches that you need to master the math section. I did every exam, and every question, and noted each question I got wrong, then reviewed them the next day. I did about 3 of the practice tests a day, a week and a half before the exam.

Biology: The DAT Destroyer is the tool to use! I went over the biology questions maybe 6-7 times. I also went to the back of the book and carefully analyzed and learned the details of the solutions. When I got to the point where I could spit out any fact, detail and concept on biology, I knew I was prepared! As a supplement, I used Cambell’s Biology as a resource for any concepts that I didn’t understand, or needed to beef up on, it is a great resource to learn the concepts and the small details of any biological, physiological and immunological subjects. I also used Feralis notes, to see if I was missing any key facts, and fill in any gaps remaining, although I only skimmed the notes, and didn’t memorize them because they are a bit dense.

Gchem: I first started using the Gchem Destroyer, which was a great refresher and really got the rust off for me. After completing the Gchem Destroyer, I moved on to the DAT Destroyer, and did every question, learned and derived every concept and equation. I used the Chang Chemistry book because of its great visualizations and graphs, to understand all the concepts dealing with laws. This allowed me to approach ANY question, without hesitation.

Orgo: DAT Destroyer is the way to go. Doing the practice problems is not enough, it was essential for me to go to the solutions and study the explanations for each and every reaction and concept. The road maps were amazing in showing you a simple way of studying reactions! When I felt comfortable with the questions, I started working on the Odyssey book, which gave me a taste of some harder more advanced problems. Reviewing everything, I was confident that I covered all my bases. For brush up, I used the Wade book, and absolutely loved it because it was amazing in terms of showing detailed chemical mechanisms.

Overall, preparing for the exam is a lot of work, but if you can manage your time, and study hard, then it is very doable!

Good Luck to everyone applying!

-Babs

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
Hey guys!

View attachment 193381

I started studying about 6 months ago, I spent roughly 8-12 hours a day. I planned my days out, and broke down the amount of material for each day, so I wouldn’t get overwhelmed. A lot of people may use flashcards or something else, but I preferred to hand write all my notes, multiple times.

What I used:

PAT: I used TopScore Pro which I thought was the closest and most realistic program to use in regards to practice for the PAT. Although only 3 practice exams are provided with TopScore, the TFE, angles, cube counting and hole punching are pretty much spot on!

Reading: I used Kaplan study materials in order to prepare for reading. My approach was search and destroy, and with each practice passage, I learned how to skim passages with many paragraphs at an optimal rate. When doing search and destroy, I skimmed each paragraph and jotted down keywords and facts that I thought would be useful.

Math: The Math Destroyer is an absolute must! Every possible question is explained, and really teaches you the different approaches that you need to master the math section. I did every exam, and every question, and noted each question I got wrong, then reviewed them the next day. I did about 3 of the practice tests a day, a week and a half before the exam.

Biology: The DAT Destroyer is the tool to use! I went over the biology questions maybe 6-7 times. I also went to the back of the book and carefully analyzed and learned the details of the solutions. When I got to the point where I could spit out any fact, detail and concept on biology, I knew I was prepared! As a supplement, I used Cambell’s Biology as a resource for any concepts that I didn’t understand, or needed to beef up on, it is a great resource to learn the concepts and the small details of any biological, physiological and immunological subjects. I also used Feralis notes, to see if I was missing any key facts, and fill in any gaps remaining, although I only skimmed the notes, and didn’t memorize them because they are a bit dense.

Gchem: I first started using the Gchem Destroyer, which was a great refresher and really got the rust off for me. After completing the Gchem Destroyer, I moved on to the DAT Destroyer, and did every question, learned and derived every concept and equation. I used the Chang Chemistry book because of its great visualizations and graphs, to understand all the concepts dealing with laws. This allowed me to approach ANY question, without hesitation.

Orgo: DAT Destroyer is the way to go. Doing the practice problems is not enough, it was essential for me to go to the solutions and study the explanations for each and every reaction and concept. The road maps were amazing in showing you a simple way of studying reactions! When I felt comfortable with the questions, I started working on the Odyssey book, which gave me a taste of some harder more advanced problems. Reviewing everything, I was confident that I covered all my bases. For brush up, I used the Wade book, and absolutely loved it because it was amazing in terms of showing detailed chemical mechanisms.

Overall, preparing for the exam is a lot of work, but if you can manage your time, and study hard, then it is very doable!

-Babs

Congrats Babs! Great work :) You killed it!

Simply WOW. Amazing scores. Studying long and hard does indeed payoff. Congratulations and good luck in the application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Would you say that GChem destoyer was worth the buy to refresh everything?
Hey thanks everyone! SyracuseOrange92, To answer your question, I would say if you are really rusty and you want to start from scratch and build a good foundation in Gchem, then the Gchem Destroyer definitely fulfills that purpose and gets you prepared to tackle any other study materials that you'll be using. Before I started studying, I had about a 3 year gap since the last time I saw chemistry in general, because I did my MBS in Oral Bio.

Hope this helps!

Hey guys!

View attachment 193381

What I used:

-Babs

Congratulations Babs! You put in a lot of hard work and deserve those high DAT scores. Thanks for the detailed breakdown, I am sure it will help other students that are getting ready to take the DAT.

You will receive multiple interviews with these scores!

Good luck on your journey to becoming a dentist..

Keep us posted.

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
Whoa. Those are some hot scores! Congrats on doing so well!

Reactions: 1 user
You KILLED it! Good work. How were your practice scores compared to your DAT scores?
Thanks Dent gent! Besides TopScore I didn't really take any other timed practice tests. I was averaging about a 22-24 on the sections on the 3 TopScore exams. I enjoyed doing their PAT practice problems the most, which reflected on my actual score.

Hope this helps!

Hey thanks everyone! SyracuseOrange92, To answer your question, I would say if you are really rusty and you want to start from scratch and build a good foundation in Gchem, then the Gchem Destroyer definitely fulfills that purpose and gets you prepared to tackle any other study materials that you'll be using. Before I started studying, I had about a 3 year gap since the last time I saw chemistry in general, because I did my MBS in Oral Bio.

Hope this helps!
Hey,

I was considering on doing an MS in oral biology at NYU and was wondering if you had any advice on the program? What school did you do your oral biology MS at? How many classes would you recommend taking a semester in order to get a high gpa?

Thanks

Hey,

I was considering on doing an MS in oral biology at NYU and was wondering if you had any advice on the program? What school did you do your oral biology MS at? How many classes would you recommend taking a semester in order to get a high gpa?

Thanks

idk if youll get a response this thread is very old

Hey,

Thanks

It would depend on the program, as far I remember NYU MS/MBS program required around ~50 credits or so, which is far more than my grad program did (things may have changed). I would focus on finding a good balance of classes per semester, not necessarily amount of credits but a good combination of classes that wouldn't overwhelm you and jeopardize your GPA. Speak to some current students, or recent graduates for better tailored advice! I did just that, and finished my program a semester early. Hope this helps!