DAT Breakdown 7/13/2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpepper47

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PAT 20
RC 25
QR 19
BIO 24
GCHEM 24
OCHEM 23
TS 24 (99.3%)
AA 23 (98.3%)

I took my DAT two days ago. I didn't update earlier because I've been away from sdn and out enjoying my life since I was studying miserably for the past 11 weeks. Honestly, the whole test is a blur and I didn’t know what scores to except. The testing conditions were good. I guess the only problem had was that I wanted more dry erase sheets so that I wouldn’t waste any time erasing but they said the rule is two max. I asked twice but they said no.

Everyone told me that I shouldn’t study the day before my exam but I felt uneasy so I went over the whole destroyer except for math. For me, the last week of studying was the most important – especially for bio. I would just go over all my materials and have a better firm on the more shaky areas. My time was spent reviewing not learning new things. I did not feel prepared and I actually wanted to postpone but there’s the whole two business days thing and it was too late.

BIO: Honestly, this section was much easier than I thought it would be. It was very straightforward and not tricky at all. I think there were three questions that I wasn’t too sure about because it required me to combine something I already knew and apply it. One of those were just insane and I couldn’t really figure it out. I don’t think I ran into anything that I hadn’t learned about or already knew. I’m a bio major so I’m sure that helped. Like everyone says, the questions are random. It was random in the sense that I didn’t think that they would test on those concepts but it wasn’t unfamiliar. I first read Cliff’s AP biology and filled in the holes with my Campbell Bio book. Then I did the destroyer but I felt that Cliffs wasn’t sufficient for me to answer all the destroyer questions. Then I read Schuam’s. I think Schuam’s filled in the holes and clarified a lot for me. The week before my DAT I just read through Cliff’s one more time and typed out anything I didn’t know clearly. I just went over the list everyday. One of the members on SDN suggested the outline and it really helped. People think Schuam’s is an overshoot but for me if helped me have a better understanding of what was going on.

CHEM: I really can’t remember much about this section. The calculations are really easy though because everything is set up for you. I had about half calculations and half conceptual. I used Kaplan Review Notes, those video lectures that’s floating around on sdn, Destroyer, and Kaplan Subject tests (I didn’t take the Kaplan class. I just got my friend’s materials from the course.) I felt that Destroyer gchem calculations in general were a way overshoot for the actual exam. But the conceptual stuff in Destroyer is good. I think Kaplan is a great overview as well. I read over this section in Kaplan the week before my test. I would say Kaplan is the best resource.

OCHEM: This section was much easier than I imagined as well. Also for each reaction they tell you what reaction it is. Ex) what is the product of the aldol condensation reaction. I didn’t have any nmr. I used destroyer, ochem odyssesy, Kaplan. Most people say that the odyssesy is an overshoot and I wouldn’t recommend going over it unless you are weak in ochem and have the time to review it. But it had been two years since I took ochem so I needed something that went in depth. It helped me but I didn’t master everything in the book. There were a lot of similar questions that I remembered from the Destroyer. And Kaplan is good for overview.

PAT: The last three Crack Pat I got 23-22-22. So I expected to do better than this. The pattern folding was not more difficult but there were folds I had never seen before so it took me a while. Cubes easier than crack. Angles easier than crack. Holes comparable to crack but there was just one really weird fold. TFE and key holes harder than crack.

Math: I didn’t do as well as I wanted on this section either. I’m not a person who is naturally good at math but I’m a quick worker. For my time is not as much of an issue as much as knowing how to do the problems. I didn’t know how to do like 6 of them. I did four out of the ten math destroyer practice tests. I usually got 20-21 for topscore and achiever math. I think if you do topscore, achiever, the whole destroyer book and actually understand the problems you missed. Then you should be set for the real thing. The math portion was harder than topscore.

Reading: I’m not really sure how I did so well. The second passage questions were really weird. I had to interpret and predict results for certain cases. I think it the passage was about cancer and I had to read a graph and determine what it means based on what I inferred from the passage. There wasn’t really a direct, obvious correlation so I just chose the best answer. The other two passages were easy. Mine were all science based. The tone/inference were really obvious and easy so don’t worry. The highest I ever scored on a practice test for this section was 23 so I was surprised with my 25. I didn’t prepare for this section other than practice tests. Oh, whenever I took practice tests I made sure I allotted 20 minutes per passage. I always scan the first 1-2 paragraphs and then try to answer the questions. I skip the question if I can’t find it and go back to it later.

I did topscore, achiever, and Kaplan practice tests (for sciences). Do NOT use your test results as a measure of how you are actually going to do. This will only stress you out. Just be sure to understand the problems you missed. Two days before my test I took a topscore and my ts was 19. The actual thing I got a 24 on science.

Best of luck to all of you. Oh, if you would like to buy any of my materials please let me know

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats, those are awesome scores!

Thanks for the breakdown, I think it's very insightful!

no i didn't answer about 6 of the questions but i didnt really know how to solve them either. I think half were word problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
great job and thanks for the breakdown! people seems to be killing the DAT these days.

was the math destroyer very comparable to the actual test (difficulty-wise)?

Congrats!! Solid scores . Thanks for the breakdown! Do you think Campbell Bio book is essential to prepare or Cliff AP bio and Schuam's will do the job? Thanks

I think the math destroyer is comparable. just be sure to know how to do the problems that you miss. I encountered a lot of similar questions from the destroyer.

roody: Well the Campbell book helped me a lot for the subjects I never learned. I mostly used it for physiology since I didn't remember anything. If you have a good background on that then I wouldn't say it is essential. You can probably use the bio book you had for the lower div bio's. It doesn't specifically have to be Campbell. For me, reading these three helped me because everytime I read different books, they helped me understand and consolidate what I already learned. For others, Cliff's is enough. I guess it just depends on what kind of learner you are.

Thank you very much for your response ! I guess I will need to study the campbell book because I am very weak in Bio .

Every1 really is raping the DAT this summer, hope it continues through sept!! mines on sept 29th! lol

I studied 8 hours a day or more if I had available time.

Learning the material is good. But after you learn it make sure you know how to apply that knowledge by doing problems.

Are there any particular questions you had about study tips? I'm not sure how to answer this because I feel like I did in my breakdown.

thanks for replying. I just got done with kaplan course. Is kaplan sufficient for general chemistry? I have gone over subject tests and quizzes several times. Now doing some problems from examcrackers....

I think it's sufficient if you already have a good background in chemistry and feel really confident with it. If not, then definitely use the destroyer to fill in the holes and have more practice.