1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

DAT Breakdown 7/30/15

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Astro11kasi, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Astro11kasi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi All,

I want to thank everyone who has been kind enough to post their DAT breakdown's, so now it is my turn. I literally just finished my DAT and wanted to share the experience with you guys. I am EXHAUSTED, after studying for the past three months and heavily the past 2 weeks. I used Chads notes to relearn general chemistry and math. I bought DAT bootcamp which was awesome, but I really feel I owe my gratitude to DAT QVault which I have practice nonstop leading up until today.

Biology:
    QVault: 20, 18, 17, 19, 19, 17, 18, 21, 18, 19
    Real DAT: 19
    I'd say pretty spot on for QVault. BC was just as good. A great way to study would be using the youtube channel crash course.

Gen Chem:
    QVault: 18, 15, 16, 19, 19, 20, 19, 19, 18, 20
    Real DAT: 18
    Oh man, general chemistry has never come naturally to me. Chad's notes certainly helped relearn a chunk of this material. QVault was good practice as well. To be honest I think I spent a little too much time on the Biology, and got hung up in general chem that at some point I said screw it and started guessing. So I am actually pleased with this 18, comparably to the 16 I was afraid to see.

Orgo:
    QVault: 20, 2o, 18, 17, 19, 20, 19, 18, 18, 18
    Real DAT: 23
    Woo hoo!!! I was a little surprised with the scores I was getting with QVault, considering I was a TA for Orgo. I love organic chemistry so much, the actual DAT was not bad at all.

PAT:
    QVault: 20, 20, 19, 19, 20, 19, 20, 20, 21, 20
    Real DAT: 21
    I am so relieved. QVault and DAT boot camp are essential for this section. DAT BC was much harder in my opinion but extremely helpful for honing your understanding. Once you have that understanding, that's when you nail it with QVault practice tests.

RC:
    Qvault: 19, 21, 20, 20, 17, 17, 18
    Real DAT: 18
    I am not surprised, but it is what it is I guess. I didn't know how this would go. I like to read things slowly, take extensive notes to fully understand something, but I felt I ended up doing some mixture of that and S&D. It was mainly just recall, but I think I freaked out a little and certainly not good with S&D.

QR: :(
    QVault: 17, 19, 21, 20, 21, 19, 22, 22, 22, 19
    Real DAT: 17
    DAMN. I like my QVault scores better...... I have never been good with math, my only C in college was Calculus. I was so fearful for this section. I will say, Qvault did help me improve my time. I did use the DAT math destroyer which was awesome except I wish I had gone through that more times rather than just taking each test once. It's weird because I thought I did best on this section....Well you live and you learn I guess.

Total Science average: 19
    Academic average: 19

So basically think I am happy with my score, but also a little disappointed... and confused. I think that a 19 is pretty good right?...?? ?? I have wanted to be a dentist since I've been in 8th grade, and worked my butt off all throughout college. I was in the honors college, with a 3.681 total GPA and 3.661 science GPA. Like I said, I was a TA for Orgo, and a genetics lab preceptor. I'm applying to VCU, Maryland, Temple, and LECOM. Do y'all think I have a shot at this?? Are there any other schools I should apply to as well?

Your input will be greatly appreciated. And to those about to take the DAT - don't forget to post your breakdown to help those that were just in your shoes. Don't worry, nothing is impossible with some elbow grease and perseverance. :)

okiedokeartichoke and ywcywc like this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PlasmaMembrane

7+ Year Member

A 19 is below the average for accepted dental students (20), so that depends on your definition of pretty good.

Anyone that tells you a score below matriculated average is 'great' is probably being more optimistic than realistic.

#2 PlasmaMembrane, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  4. byahnoob

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It's a great score. Average AA score for students matriculating, but 2 points above the average of all test takers.
    Your GPA is fantastic. Good luck

I'm taking my DAT in 3 weeks. Should I consider buying Qvault?

Astro11kasi likes this.
  5. virtualmaster999

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    19 is good, nice job! While it's true that the average for matriculation is 20, that does not mean people dont get in with lower. Remember, the key word is AVERAGE! Look at the ADEA guide to dental school for compete averages/school...very helpful. your GPA is great too, and if your EC/ LORS/ Essays look good, and interviews go well, you can say hello to dental school!

Astro11kasi likes this.
  6. Astro11kasi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    thanks :) and I would say it definitely helped me feel more prepared. I would 100% get the PAT QVault atleast, and certainly the Bio

7. Astro11kasi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks!! Yeah I am just happy I didn't get anything below a 19 haha.... I'll definitely look into that!

virtualmaster999 likes this.
  8. okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for the breakdown and good going! Even if it isn't above a 20, that's fine because there are people that get into dental schools above AND below that score. With that GPA and your leadership positions, I don't think you have to worry.

Astro11kasi likes this.
  9. DentalLonghorn2014

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You did a fine job! Adcoms look at the overall application. :)

Astro11kasi likes this.
  10. hellofuturedentists

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You did well! I'd consider applying to a couple more schools, though. But I'd say that even if you'd gotten a 30. 4 schools seems risky for anyone.

11. byahnoob

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Do you know if we need to memorize structures of compounds? (e.g. know what ethyl acetate look like) I know we need to know the basics such as carboxylic acid, nitrate

Astro11kasi likes this.
  12. htorres89

2+ Year Member

I think you have a good shot! Congrats! Good luck!

Astro11kasi likes this.
  13. Astro11kasi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    All the basics like you said are a definite need to know, but personally I don't remember anything unusual, but then again I wasn't too worried because I was an Orgo TA so I wasn't as concerned in that area of orgo :/ As for NMR there was only 1 Carbon NMR question (i.e. how many peaks) and H NMR question

14. Astro11kasi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I really appreciate all this feedback everyone!!!! Thank you so much for responding!! If anyone has any recommendations of schools to apply to additionally, please let me know!

15. Carbohydrates

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Congrats on finishing your test. I just took mine this morning too, similar score :)