1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

DAT Breakdown 8/14/15

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by dent1840, Aug 14, 2015.

1. dent1840

2+ Year Member

Hey everyone,
    So I am finally D O N E!! Feel so relieved to be done and hopefully never have to go through this again.

AA21 TS 21
    OC 24 GC21 BIO19 RC23 QR20 PAT22

First of all, I want to give a big thanks to Dr.Romano and Nancy for their amazing books and also the feedback they give here on sdn, it's really helpful
    Also Ari from DAT Bootcamp, definitely one of my best resources, and he's also really helpful in replying to messages on the website! And Chad, oh Chad, You taught me well my friend.i couldn't have done it without them.

So I spent around 10 weeks studying 4-5 hrs a day. I felt bad when reading other people's breakdowns and seeing 8+ hrs a day. I tried but I don't know why I can't pull off those kind of hours
    I started off using Ari's study schedule and stayed pretty consistent with it until I started slacking off with the destroyer questions. But I buckled down and completed 100 questions in each section a day to get through it with enough time to go over it all again. All in all, I went over destroyer ochem twice and bio like once, with some revision of the solutions. I was glad to just get done with the genchem questions, they tore me apart x_x But listen to me when I tell you this book is gold! It's honestly priceless. Ari knew what he was talking about when he told us what we needed to study. I bought everything he told us to ( chads, math and dat destroyer, cliffs Ap bio) ferralis's notes were a life saver too! They were like made for the DAT
    I also was stupid and bought the ace package thing to Crack DAT. I used all of them and it really only helped me in PAT, and math
    The video explanations for the answers are really really good
    It was also pretty good for RC, because I didnt do much other practivce for RC on bootcamp, nor did I read a science article every day :/
    Sciences though... Waste of money

i started off taking full length practice tests for Crack DAT, so at least I used it
    The I redid all the BC tests, because I had taken them all before like Ari tells you to, and it had been a while so they looked new
    RC and QR on boot camp were harder than the actual thing, especially QR

Hmmm what else. Oh I bought math destroyer, did around the first 6 tests and did horrible lol
    I basically just reviewed equations and trig before the test
    I actually only had like two stats questions, and the trig was SUPER easy. Like the answer was in your face.

Last night I really started to freak out and was a crying mess, but thank goodness for my husband to keep me somewhat sane. I got maybe four hours of sleep.
    During the test today I was pretty anxious. Like I was confident in my answers but at the same time, my head was all over the place. Time really did go fast. But it wasn't as bad as I thought. I had to deal with a smudged contact due to my eyeliner this morning throughout the whole exam. That was probably the worst part of it all. Some questions were super easy and some were like what the heck (bio). but I definitely did recognize some similar stuff to Bootcamp and destroyer. There was one question where I knew I had done it before but I didn't go over the solution good enough and couldn't get the right answer to pop up in my head. That made me soooo mad But hopefully I got there through logic.

What I wanted to ask, especially from experienced members, was how do I compare to other applicants? I'm applying next year, have a 3.4 sGPA, >200 hours shadowing, ~200 hrs volunteering
    I'm gonna be a TA for my A&P professor next semester, and also have some leadership roles ( not president or vp though)
    I really want to get into Baylor over anything else, but overall what do you guys think? Do I need to retake it? I'm scared that my bio is low
    Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Feel free to ask any questions!

#1 dent1840, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    ywcywc, 510586 and nickh like this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 510586

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Good job! can you post Crack math and reading scores and bootcamp if you don't mind? Also I don't think you should retake.

4. predentgirl552

Pre-Dental
    Wow you did awesome!!
    Did you go over all of destroyer bio? What kinds of questions did you see on gchem and ochem? More conceptual or calculations?

5. byahnoob

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

6. DragoBlue

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  7. clutchfans

2+ Year Member

Nice, I took mine today as well. Awesome scores all around.

8. dentalgirl101

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Solid scores!! Can you please post your practice test scores?

510586 likes this.
  9. dent1840

2+ Year Member

Thanks! yea I did go through all the bio destroyer questions once. I was in such a hurry to finish, I didn't get to really go through every single solution which I really regret. After I was done, I read through Ferralis's notes and some of my highlights in the solutions for bio. I never wrote any notes for bio from the cliffs bio, I just did a quick read then went straight to practicing.

For the genchem on the test, Im seriously trying to rack my brain for how it was. There were at least like 10 calculation questions. The conceptual were so easy, one was about like lone pairs for water, which I literally laughed at the screen. Then for ochem, there were only like 5 reaction questions max. Then there were a couple of nmr, no IR, and the rest was conceptual...I think. Im prettty sure everything will come back to me in a few days. I can never remember anything the day of lol.

Sorry it took me forever to reply guys! so for crack DAT
    Reading test 1-4: 19,19,21,19
    math 1-4: 18,18,18,17
    Science1-5: 21,18,17,19,17
    PAT: 20,21,20,19,23

DAT Bootcamp:
    Bio chem ochem pat rc qr
    20 21 24
    21 30 22 20 18 17
    16 26 22 19
    17 21 26

Thanks! How was your test @clutchfans ?

10. 510586

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thank you! How would you compare the difficulty of crackmath/reading to the actual?

11. dent1840

2+ Year Member

I would say that the math is pretty comparable, definitely more than bootcamp. If i had done bootcamp more then I probably would have done better. Time got the better of me. But the video solutions for the crack DAT math are really good. They tell you good tips and tricks. I actually didnt have many problems with my calculator on my test! Like if you carefully input the numbers it works fine, and it really helped me out.

and for reading, hmmm there was very few tone questions and more search and destroy on my test, which were really easy to find. Just really depends on your reading. crack DAT was easier than bootcamp

12. 510586

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Good to hear thank you. I will definitely do both. Congrats again

13. enamel88

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    which RC strategy did you use?

14. clutchfans

2+ Year Member

@dent1840 It went really well. I got a 23AA so I'm really happy about that.

510586 likes this.
  15. 510586

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Do you have any tips or practice scores you can maybe post (if you're not making a breakdown )?

16. byahnoob

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Where's your breakdown? Its a SDN tradition to post one!!!!

17. clutchfans

2+ Year Member

No I haven't made a breakdown yet. Will do sometime this weekend.

dentalgirl101 and 510586 like this.
  18. dent1840

2+ Year Member

I did what Ari suggests, read first two passages and then the first few sentences for everything else, then search and destroy. First time trying it in the test and it really worked

19. dent1840

2+ Year Member

Wow that's amazing!!! **jealous**

20. clutchfans

2+ Year Member

No please don't be, you did really well and should be proud. :)