DAT Breakdown 8-14-15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clutchfans

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Firstly, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for providing such great information and resources.
So I took the DAT this past Friday and here are my results.

PAT 23
QR 23
RC 26
Bio 19
GChem 23
OChem 23
TS 21
AA 23

Study Material:

Biology:
Cliffs AP Biology 3rd edition: I read and took notes and did the end of chapter quizzes and the practice AP Exam. Did a good job of explaining the big picture of the material but got a little hard to read at some points.
I paid special attention to any taples and figures because they included the most important facts for that topic eg. hormones table.

Feralis Notes: It is very detailed and tells you pretty much everything you need to know about each topic.

Chad's Biology Videos: Free material is free. Man is a professional at explaining things. He had a lecture on the O2 binding and shifting the curve left and right. Before the video, I had no idea how this worked. After, I understood it clearly.

DAT Destroyer: I used this as a question bank. I would study a subject and find some question on the topic to see if I fully understand everything. orgoman does an excellent job of knocking home the basics and fundamentals. This is especially true for gchem and ochem.

OChem and GChem: I didn't use Chad's videos. Instead, Mike Christiansen, a professor from Utah State, has a Youtube channel where he posted free general and organic chemistry lectures. Again, free material is free.
He is the man that does the organic chem solution videos on DAT Bootcamp.
Mike does a very good job of explaining the the concepts to you. If money is tight, this is a great alternative to Chad's videos.

PAT, RC, and QR: I pretty much used DAT Bootcamp solely for this.

Now to the actual exam:
These are only based off of my exam and personal observations.

Biology (19): My lowest section. Also the section with the most amount of stuff to rememeber. The questions aren't hard, but rather basic. By this I mean they test to see if you understand the fundamentals of the topics. So questions can get very specific. I did have a rather strange question on proteins of the zona pellucida but other than that, the questions were rather straight foward.

General Chemistry(23) Thanks to Mike's videos, DAT BC and Destroyer, I was well prepared for both chemistry sections. It was mainly concenptial questions. There weren't too many calculation questions and some of these questions you didn't have to solve for a solution. You just leave it as an expression. Questions were very straight foward.

Organic Chemistry(23) Again, questions were very straightfoward and I knew how to do every single question expect for like 2. If you use the materials to there full potential, the orgo section can be a point grab for you.

PAT(23) This is perhapes the most surprising score because my DAT BC scores were consistent 18/19s with one 20. There were some keyholes that looked like carved rockes that I have never seen before and had know idea how to handle.
I swear one those looked like C60.
TFE very similary to DAT Bootcamp.
For me, the pattern folding section was like free cheese compared to DAT BC.
Also, this was the only section where I was struggling with time. I spent like 15 minutes on keyhole and that kind of put me behind.

Reading Comprehension(26) DAT Bootcamp is the real MVP. One of the Bootcamp passages was 90% identical to my actual DAT passage. Also, these passages where 3-5 paragraphs shorter than BC, easier to read than BC, and more search and destroy friendly. I kept my self to 20 minutes per passage and tried not to move ahead without finishing the passage. I was getting straight 18/19s as well on BC.

Quatitative Reasoning (23) Much easier than DAT BC. If you can get 19/20s on BC (which is what I was getting) the section shouldn't be to difficult. The calculations were much shorter. The calculator is much more user friendly than BC's.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions because I'm sure I left a lot out. Hope this will be some help for you guys.
Thanks for you time,

Clutchfans

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• datexam81415.jpg
    datexam81415.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
NICE work! Do you mind posting you DBC scores for the sciences please? My exam is on thursday :0

Reactions: 1 user
Very nice scores you did great!!! How would you improve your bio score if you had the opportunity for a bit more studying? Did you go through ferralis extensively or skimmed through? I'm most worried about this section

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,
Firstly, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for providing such great information and resources.

PAT 23
QR 23
RC 26
Bio 19
GChem 23
OChem 23
TS 21
AA 23

Study Material:

Biology:
Cliffs AP Biology 3rd edition: I read and took notes and did the end of chapter quizzes and the practice AP Exam. Did a good job of explaining the big picture of the material but got a little hard to read at some points.
I paid special attention to any taples and figures because they included the most important facts for that topic eg. hormones table.

Feralis Notes: It is very detailed and tells you pretty much everything you need to know about each topic.

Chad's Biology Videos: Free material is free. Man is a professional at explaining things. He had a lecture on the O2 binding and shifting the curve left and right. Before the video, I had no idea how this worked. After, I understood it clearly.

DAT Destroyer: I used this as a question bank. I would study a subject and find some question on the topic to see if I fully understand everything. orgoman does an excellent job of knocking home the basics and fundamentals. This is especially true for gchem and ochem.

OChem and GChem: I didn't use Chad's videos. Instead, Mike Christiansen, a professor from Utah State, has a Youtube channel where he posted free general and organic chemistry lectures. Again, free material is free.
Mike does a very good job of explaining the the concepts to you. If money is tight, this is a great alternative to Chad's videos.

Now to the actual exam:

Biology (19): My lowest section. Also the section with the most amount of stuff to rememeber. The questions aren't hard, but rather basic. By this I mean they test to see if you understand the fundamentals of the topics. So questions can get very specific. I did have a rather strange question on proteins of the zona pellucida but other than that, the questions were rather straight foward.

General Chemistry(23) Thanks to Mike's videos, DAT BC and Destroyer, I was well prepared for both chemistry sections. It was mainly concenptial questions. There weren't too many calculation questions and some of these questions you didn't have to solve for a solution. You just leave it as an expression. Questions were very straight foward.

Organic Chemistry(23) Again, questions were very straightfoward and I knew how to do every single question expect for like 2. If you use the materials to there full potential, the orgo section can be a point grab for you.

PAT(23) This is perhapes the most surprising score because my DAT BC scores were consistent 18/19s with one 20. There were some keyholes that looked like carved rockes that I have never seen before and had know idea how to handle.
Also, this was the only section where I was struggling with time. I spent like 15 minutes on keyhole and that kind of put me behind.

Reading Comprehension(26) DAT Bootcamp is the real MVP. One of the Bootcamp passages was 90% identical to my actual DAT passage. Also, these passages where 3-5 paragraphs shorter than BC, easier to read than BC, and more search and destroy friendly. I kept my self to 20 minutes per passage and tried not to move ahead without finishing the passage. I was getting straight 18/19s as well on BC.

Quatitative Reasoning (23) Much easier than DAT BC. If you can get 19/20s on BC (which is what I was getting) the section shouldn't be to difficult. The calculations were much shorter. The calculator is much more user friendly than BC's.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions because I'm sure I left a lot out. Hope this will be some help for you guys.
Thanks for you time,

Clutchfans
Great job! Would you mind posting your BC scores?

Very nice scores you did great!!! How would you improve your bio score if you had the opportunity for a bit more studying? Did you go through ferralis extensively or skimmed through? I'm most worried about this section
I took pretty good notes on the parts I was weak on. But once I took notes on a new part, I would forget like 4o percent of what I studied a few days before lol. I should have read Feralise mutliple times and did destroyer questions much more.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

PAT 23
QR 23
RC 26
Bio 19
GChem 23
OChem 23
TS 21
AA 23

Study Material:

Biology:

Now to the actual exam:

Thanks for you time,

Clutchfans

:clap::clap::clap::highfive::highfive:
Congratulations clutchfans

Sorry for the delay in our congratulations, there have been so many posts lately we missed yours. Wow, you really Destroyed it and had an excellent study plan. You gave yourself plenty of time to prepare and your scores prove it paid off. The Bio section is quite challenging and we agree it is a vast amount of material to cover . There is no need to worry, your Bio score is more than sufficient especially with your high chem scores.

Enjoy the rest of summer and good luck in your journey to becoming a dentist.

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Reactions: 1 user