DAT Breakdown 8/15/15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

upupandaway28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This forum and community was very helpful for me when I was preparing for the DAT so I wanted to post a breakdown of my own and hopefully help a few others out with studying! Feedback on my scores would be greatly appreciated as well! My scores are posted below, followed with the materials and methods I used to prepare for each part of the exam.

Perceptual Ability: 22
Quantitative Reasoning: 22
Reading Comprehension: 23
Biology: 24
General Chemistry: 19
Organic Chemistry: 25
Total Science: 21
Academic Average: 23

Perceptual Ability
DAT Bootcamp is a lifesaver! The various question generators for each section of the PAT allowed me to practice and fine-tune my skills. I believe the practice tests on Bootcamp are more difficult than the actual exam. I barely broke a 20 on the 10 practice tests I took, but got a 22 on the actual exam. My one recommendation for this section would be to start preparing for it before studying any of the science, math, or reading comprehension material- practice truly increases accuracy!

Quantitative Reasoning
First off, thank you to Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy Steen from ORGOMAN for providing such detailed and efficient study materials for the DAT! I used the Math Destroyer to prepare for this section (Bootcamp math was unrepresentative of what was on the exam; more difficult). Many of the problems on the actual exam were eerily similar to this book!

Reading Comprehension
I used the Search and Destroy Method. I would first go through all of the questions so that I had a rough idea in my head of what details to look for. Then, going back to the first question, I would start reading until I reached the answer. I would repeat this for the all of the questions. I would skip the inference type questions until the end, by which time I would have read over the article at least twice and would have gotten a clearer understanding. *Disclaimer: I'm a fast reader, and being a fast reader really helps with this method*

The Sciences
CHAD'S VIDEOS
ARE A GODSEND. He does an excellent job of deconstructing lengthy science topics and presenting only the necessary details, tips, and techniques you need to know to kill the DAT. I used these videos for Gen Chem and Orgo only. I would recommend taking the corresponding quizzes immediately after watching a video and taking notes on it. To review biology materials, I used Cliff's and Feralis Notes. The only other tool you need to practice science questions is the DAT Destroyer!! I went through both the biology and organic chemistry sections twice, and the general chemistry section (harder than the actual exam) once. The detailed answer explanations were worth reading even for questions I answered correctly. Thanks again to Orgoman for providing such excellent study materials!!

Helpful Hints
Don't get discouraged when you see low practice test scores! My academic averages for all of my practice exams were only around 19 or 20. I had read many times on this forum that actual DAT scores would be a couple of points higher than your practice test scores, but I didn't believe it until I experienced it. Additionally, it's important to stick to a schedule, to keep yourself on track. I used a modified version of the study schedule posted on DAT Bootcamp.

Concern about General Chemistry...
Most of the dental schools that I plan on applying to have a class whose average Academic Average score is 21. My academic average is 23, a couple of points higher, but I am concerned about my general chemistry score (19) which is much lower than my other two sciences (24, 25). Will this be frowned upon? Will I have difficulty receiving interviews? Thank you in advance for all of your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Very nice scores there. Thanks so much for the breakdown!

Congrats!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! This forum and community was very helpful for me when I was preparing for the DAT so I wanted to post a breakdown of my own and hopefully help a few others out with studying! Feedback on my scores would be greatly appreciated as well! My scores are posted below, followed with the materials and methods I used to prepare for each part of the exam.

Perceptual Ability: 22
Quantitative Reasoning: 22
Reading Comprehension: 23
Biology: 24
General Chemistry: 19
Organic Chemistry: 25
Total Science: 21
Academic Average: 23

Perceptual Ability
DAT Bootcamp is a lifesaver! The various question generators for each section of the PAT allowed me to practice and fine-tune my skills. I believe the practice tests on Bootcamp are more difficult than the actual exam. I barely broke a 20 on the 10 practice tests I took, but got a 22 on the actual exam. My one recommendation for this section would be to start preparing for it before studying any of the science, math, or reading comprehension material- practice truly increases accuracy!

Quantitative Reasoning
First off, thank you to Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy Steen from ORGOMAN for providing such detailed and efficient study materials for the DAT! I used the Math Destroyer to prepare for this section (Bootcamp math was unrepresentative of what was on the exam; more difficult). Many of the problems on the actual exam were eerily similar to this book!

Reading Comprehension
I used the Search and Destroy Method. I would first go through all of the questions so that I had a rough idea in my head of what details to look for. Then, going back to the first question, I would start reading until I reached the answer. I would repeat this for the all of the questions. I would skip the inference type questions until the end, by which time I would have read over the article at least twice and would have gotten a clearer understanding. *Disclaimer: I'm a fast reader, and being a fast reader really helps with this method*

The Sciences
CHAD'S VIDEOS
ARE A GODSEND. He does an excellent job of deconstructing lengthy science topics and presenting only the necessary details, tips, and techniques you need to know to kill the DAT. I used these videos for Gen Chem and Orgo only. I would recommend taking the corresponding quizzes immediately after watching a video and taking notes on it. To review biology materials, I used Cliff's and Feralis Notes. The only other tool you need to practice science questions is the DAT Destroyer!! I went through both the biology and organic chemistry sections twice, and the general chemistry section (harder than the actual exam) once. The detailed answer explanations were worth reading even for questions I answered correctly. Thanks again to Orgoman for providing such excellent study materials!!

Helpful Hints
Don't get discouraged when you see low practice test scores! My academic averages for all of my practice exams were only around 19 or 20. I had read many times on this forum that actual DAT scores would be a couple of points higher than your practice test scores, but I didn't believe it until I experienced it. Additionally, it's important to stick to a schedule, to keep yourself on track. I used a modified version of the study schedule posted on DAT Bootcamp.

Concern about General Chemistry...
Most of the dental schools that I plan on applying to have a class whose average Academic Average score is 21. My academic average is 23, a couple of points higher, but I am concerned about my general chemistry score (19) which is much lower than my other two sciences (24, 25). Will this be frowned upon? Will I have difficulty receiving interviews? Thank you in advance for all of your feedback!
upupandaway28, Congratulations! Excellent scores!:clap::clap::clap:

Thank you for the shout out and we are pleased your found our materials helpful. I would not worry at all about your GenChem score, it is not below any cutoffs and your Bio and Orgo scores more than balance that out.

You had a solid study plan,stuck to it and it paid off HUGE! You will receive a lot of interviews and you should be very proud of your scores. Dental schools will certainly take notice.

You challenged the DAT Beast and won the fight, no need to face the beast ever again! Save all your energy for dental school, you will need it!

Wishing you the best!

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You really did go up up and away with those scores lol, congrats