DAT Breakdown 9/17/2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mightymoose02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT September 17, 2013 and these were my scores:

PAT - 22 (93.4)
QR - 21 (96.4)
RC - 24 (94.0) :ninja:
BIO - 22 (95.9)
GC - 22 (91.8)
OC - 21 (85.7)
TS - 22 (95.6) :nod:
AA - 22 (97.0) :soexcited:

Added smileys just like everyone else's breakdowns. :D

Added a photo of my study wall. I put up things that I always forgot and helped me memorize a lot of things. (see below)

I have this odd feeling that everyone will just want to compare scores. ;) So the EXCEL file of my scores are ATTACHED. Scroll down!

Few things to note here: I was also supposed to take it September 6, 2013 but after the feedback I received from a thread that I made here and some self-evaluation, I decided to postpone the test date about two weeks. When I postponed the test, I was about 10 days removed from the original date so essentially, I gave myself a full three weeks to improve my scores. It definitely helped because I was able to squeeze in more practice tests and review my mistakes once more.

Preparation for Test Day: Make sure to bring 2 IDs, your confirmation e-mail and look over the ADA Test Day checklist. It's always best to make sure. My test center was about 40 min away on the freeway so I drove there two days before and the day before to simulate the traffic. On the day before, I walked into the test site and just made sure that I was in their system. Looked around for the bathroom and quickly familiarized myself with the place. During test day, they gave me two laminated graphing "boards" and two markers. They were fine tip dry erase markers. (If you want to use something similar, just use some thin EXPO ones for practice) Overall, they were pretty easy to use. I was very worried about it before test day but it shouldn't be a concern for most people. (I even tested the markers out while they were fingerprinting me and verifying my IDs) Also, I was told not to erase my markings on the "boards" with my hand and to not write anything on it until I started the Natural Sciences section. So no writing during tutorial.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=853164 (Funny thread for test day)

Pacing: I finished with 7 minutes left on the Sciences. Ran out of time for PAT but only had few problems left. Finished RC on time. Ran out of time for QR. Just push yourself to move onto the next problem even if you are stuck or unsure of a problem. Always make sure to mark AND click an answer when you skip a problem.

Lunch (hour before): I ate a six inch Subway sandwich + lemonade. Starbucks Tall Mocha Frap right after. Subway sandwich contained many fiber and cellulose-containing foods. Add that with caffeine and the power of coffee and I forced my gastrocolic reflex into motion. Excreted nitrogenous waste 30 min before the test. Of course, you lose water so I rehydrated myself with water and checked-in for my test.

Break: I took two bites out of my Subway cookie, emptied bladder and drank water.

Note: On Achiever, you are able to cross out answers. On the real thing, I was not able to cross out answer choices. Keep that mind for those that are using Achiever DAT program to simulate the real thing. Achiever's format is a very good representation but few things are not exactly the same like the one I mentioned. No highlighting passage on RC on the real thing as well.

Materials + Cost: I spent about $1000 on materials. I have it all basically.

PAT - Start with KBB introductory sections. Find youtube videos for strategies. Here are ones I used: http://www.youtube.com/user/DATBootcamp/videos (Angle ranking)
http://www.youtube.com/user/mmglasco/videos (cube counting, keyhole)
http://www.youtube.com/user/PreDDSNET/videos (Tic Tac Toe hole punching method)
Once you get through the KBB + videos, you should do Crack the PAT (CDP) practice tests until you get 22 or higher on consecutive tests. CDP will become too easy after awhile so your next goal is to do well on PAT sections in DAT Bootcamp and Achiever during a simulated full-test. (Practice doing the PAT section AFTER doing 90 minutes of Natural Sciences. Get used to taking them back-to-back without any breaks.) DAT Bootcamp gives the best explanations for Pattern Folding and Keyholes (learn strategies from them).

QR - Math Destroyer is great practice and stamina-builder. I never got more than 80% correct on Math Destroyer when timed. On the real test, I would suggest that you blitz through all the easy questions and just click an answer for problems that are more than a line long or is too complicate for you. After that, I would go back and work on the word problems that are the easiest first. Just remember, every question is worth the same. Might as well stack it up in your favor. Also, DAT Bootcamp is awesome for practice b/c of their calculator integration and similarity vs. Real DAT.

RC - Search and Destroy. I read the first two paragraphs to get an idea about the article and then just skimmed through the article for whatever the question was asking for. Usually, the answer is found in one of the paragraphs. After you answer 4 or 5 questions, you basically get an idea for the entire passage and by the time you finish 8 to 9 questions, you really know what the article is talking about. Just don't stop searching, keep skimming for the answer! If you really can't find it, just go back to it after answering some questions on the same article. Eventually, you will find the answer. If you really need to practice, just get real comfortable reading a scientific article from a magazine like Scientific American or Issues (published by the National Academy of Sciences). Seems like most of the passages are about some sort of controversy/argument. Even some of your personal experience/scientific knowledge can help you here.

GC - Just watch Chad's Videos twice and write down everything he says. Do the quizzes immediately after the videos. Make sure you know everything from DAT Bootcamp. If you don't understand a concept, just go back and re-watch Chad's videos. Just milk that subscription because you will miss Chad after it's all set and done. (I watched them 1.5X speed.) I set up an approach for every type of calculation problem and made sure I knew how to set up every equilibrium equation (i.e. Solubility product, pKa, Ka, pH, free energy, enthalpy changes, phase chances, etc.)

OC - (Disclaimer: Read this only if you suck at organic chemistry) I haven't taken Organic Chemistry in years. I never liked it. I never understood anything when I took it. Couldn't stand it. I went through Chad's Videos and still didn't understand anything. I knew what a resonance structure sorta looked like but never knew how to move the electrons around or draw them. If you are like me, pick up Organic Chemistry as a Second Language by David Klein for First Semester. I went through the entire book front to back. Did all the questions and read every word. Wrote out every example. I also read some of the Second Semester book as well (EAS chapter really helps). After going through David Klein's books, I re-watched Chad's videos and that was enough for me to understand organic chemistry for the DAT in less than a month. The day before my real test, I went through every single question on DAT Bootcamp for this subject to make sure.

BIO - It is a fact that Feralis Biology Notes has all the facts/concepts that will show up on the test. Like everything. When I got home, I went straight to his notes on PDF and did a word search for everything that showed up and indeed, it was all there. Even word-for-word on some instances. With that said, I wouldn't rely on it as your only study source or reviewing material. I would only use it as a reference or the way we use Wikipedia. Just quick search for a term and see what's listed. What I did was I had Office Depot print out the notes and spiral bind it. If I missed a question on a practice test, I highlighted in his notes. Anyways, I'm not sure why Biology section is considered "random" by so many people on these forums. The distribution of topics was very similar to any of the DAT Biology practice sections that is available. It's just basic biology. Just make sure you understand the basic principles of biology before moving on to memorizing a whole bunch of facts. Memorization is only as important as long as you are using it to understand concepts. For example, you can memorize that LH is secreted by the anterior pituitary and that LH surge causes ovulation. Great. Now what? You have to ask yourself WHY is this significant and expand on these facts. There's no point in memorizing those facts unless you connect it with estrogen production/menstrual cycle and positive feedback concept. This would make a pretty good EXCEPT question, btw.

For Biology, instead of Cliff's AP Biology or KBB Biology, I personally recommend Barron's AP Biology (Green) and use Cliff's Biology's end-of-chapter questions to supplement Barron's questions as well. That way, you have about 30-40 questions per topic. (also, used Barron's AP Biology Flashcards too) After that, DAT Destroyer Biology should do it. I made Anki flashcards for mistakes that I made in DAT Destroyer Biology. (~500 cards) Definitely helps if you like flashcards. It's free for PC, Mac and Android. I went through DAT Destroyer once and then did DAT QVAULT Biology twice. DAT Destroyer Biology is good in the early stages of reviewing Biology but the way they ask questions is not representative. Towards the test date, you have to get familiar with QVAULT, Bootcamp, TopScore and Achiever question-types. Any of those are great. Combination of BootCamp and QVAULT is good enough if you want to save money.

Score Predictor: Make sure you take the 2009 ADA test to accurately predict your score. GatorD (Ari from BootCamp) suggested this to me in a different thread and it was definitely great advice. Biology and General Chemistry were off by 2 points, PAT was off by 1 point and Organic Chemistry was right on. The TS score on 2009 ADA test matched my real DAT score. Also, DAT Bootcamp was another great predictor. I got 22 in Biology three times out of five tests and that ended up being my real Biology score. My General Chemistry score range on BootCamp was 19-23 (average 20) and I ended up hitting 22 on the real thing. For organic chemistry, I improved to 20 and 19 on my last two tests and ended up scoring 1 point higher. For those taking Achiever and TopScore, they weren't good predictors for me. (I believe the scoring is more stringent)

QVAULT BIO (retake score)
1 - 31/40 (37)
2 - 36/40 (37)
3 - 29/40 (37)
4 - 32/40 (35)
5 - 30/40 (33)
6 - 25/40 (30)
7 - 32/40 (35)
8 - 31/40 (35)
9 - 31/40 (35)
10 - 31/40 (35)

If you guys have any questions about studying or study schedule, let me know.

Oh, I almost forgot, make sure you sign up for DAT Question of the Day by the same people that does BootCamp.

QVAULT + BootCamp - Thank God for them!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• DAT Practice Test scores.xlsx
    8.9 KB · Views: 423
  • Optimized-IMAG0486.jpg
    Optimized-IMAG0486.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 364
  • Optimized-IMAG0490.jpg
    Optimized-IMAG0490.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
I think I remember you not scoring as high as you would have wanted on the QR section on bootcamp. How comparable was it to the real DAT?

gj!

Awesome job man! I was supposed to take my test this Monday but I postponed until next Monday, hoping the extra time pays off

I took a look at your practice scores, any advice for how you improved your chem scores over only a few weeks?

Also I don't know what's going on, it seems like people do better on the Bootcamp Bio vs Qvault but it's the opposite for me. I scored a 19 and 18 on the first two Qvault exams, and then got 21-23s on the rest of them. On Bootcamp I've taken 3 exams and my scores are 18, 18, 19 :confused:. It just seems a lot more difficult to me

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I remember you not scoring as high as you would have wanted on the QR section on bootcamp. How comparable was it to the real DAT?

It's pretty similar to BootCamp in a lot of ways. On the real test, do the easy ones first. Not just easy but QUICK one-stop algebra ones. Just skip the word problems. My theory is that they put them there to slow you down so you can't finish. Make sure you take what they give you. :thumbup:

Awesome job man! I was supposed to take my test this Monday but I postponed until next Monday, hoping the extra time pays off

I took a look at your practice scores, any advice for how you improved your chem scores over only a few weeks?

Also I don't know what's going on, it seems like people do better on the Bootcamp Bio vs Qvault but it's the opposite for me. I scored a 19 and 18 on the first two Qvault exams, and then got 21-23s on the rest of them. On Bootcamp I've taken 3 exams and my scores are 18, 18, 19 :confused:. It just seems a lot more difficult to me

I put up the file for the practice scores and added the QVAULT scores to the breakdown. :D Um. From what I remember, QVAULT questions are very straightforward while BootCamps are more conceptual. Is this under timed conditions? Let's see, you still have a few days. If you don't want to push your test back, I suggest you blitz through QVAULT Biology again. Read the answer explanations. Both companies do a great job of teaching you things through their answers. After that, I'd do the rest of BootCamp. See if that helps. :)

Can you narrow down what specific topics you are missing often?

I feel like both Qvault and Bootcamp test on conceptual/application questions for Bio, the difference is Bootcamp gives answer choices that seem more difficult to eliminate.

I've done most of the Bio Qvault twice already, I usually get all of them right or miss one.

I only have one Bootcamp exam left for Bio so I'm hoping I can at least match a Qvault score with that one so I don't feel like total crap

I feel like both Qvault and Bootcamp test on conceptual/application questions for Bio, the difference is Bootcamp gives answer choices that seem more difficult to eliminate.

I've done most of the Bio Qvault twice already, I usually get all of them right or miss one.

I only have one Bootcamp exam left for Bio so I'm hoping I can at least match a Qvault score with that one so I don't feel like total crap

Make sure you know your cell molecular biology/genetics/physiology really well.

Have you been using Feralis Biology Notes? He has a second version up now. If you really want to pinpoint what you don't know. I'd go through the first few major topics on his notes and see what you don't know. Most of the questions were straightforward and didn't need much analyzing but there were quite a bit of exception questions for me. So you had to eliminate every answer except for one. I feel like Bootcamp and Achiever prepares you the best for that.

When I mean "conceptual" I was actually referring to questions that ask "cause and effect" of a process. Usually, these are probably the ones most people miss because they can't integrate two separate topics together. I referenced to an example at the bottom of my breakdown for Bio. Bunch of them are gimme's and you will be fine on those since AP Biology book + QVAULT/BootCamp will cover them all. (If I'm not mistaken, you've taken this once?) I believe that's how they separate the >20 scores by giving application questions (Multi-topic question, biological laboratory techniques, methods, or even a ecology/taxonomy/evolution question to trip up unprepared students, etc.)

If you want specifics, I can help you come up with questions. I've taken the MCAT before and they've been doing these types of questions for years now.

Last BootCamp exam is on the difficult side so don't stress out. LOL. Look at the thread below (after you take the test):

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1023833

Make sure you take the 2009 ADA Test (online) couple days after and gauge your score with that. Ari from DAT BootCamp suggests taking it few days before also. Make sure you kick butt on these last two exams. =)

Last edited:
I've read through Feralis' notes 2 full times, but for certain sections more like 5 times (mainly physio).

I took the 09 ADA last week and scored a 23 in Bio but it felt too easy. How would you compare the difficulty of Bio on that to the real thing? Another person here also scored a 24 on 09 ADA Bio but didn't do too well on the real thing for that section so I'm worried about it

I've read through Feralis' notes 2 full times, but for certain sections more like 5 times (mainly physio).

I took the 09 ADA last week and scored a 23 in Bio but it felt too easy. How would you compare the difficulty of Bio on that to the real thing? Another person here also scored a 24 on 09 ADA Bio but didn't do too well on the real thing for that section so I'm worried about it

2009 ADA Test for Biology was really easy because they were examples of straightforward gimme questions. I think if you are using process of elimination for almost every question instead of answering them through straight memory then you should be good on the real test. Hopefully, you are taking practice tests timed at a university library computer or somewhere with people around to simulate testing conditions. And 23 is a good indicator that you know or have memorized your basic biology. (I dropped 2 points from 2009 test to actual DAT but the TS remained consistent)

Make sure you run these steps through your head to avoid getting nervous or blanking out:
1. Read the question thoroughly.
2. Look for EXCEPT, NOT, AND words.
3. Always narrow it down to 50/50
4. Always click on an answer and then Mark the question. (Assume you will never see it again.)

Another tip for test day. If you are okay with time, just think about what they are trying to ask and think of it in terms of topics. That usually helps with weirdly-worded problems.

Do these problems: (Second question is not representative and they will never ask it like that but it will prove if you know your stuff)

1. http://datquestionoftheday.com/biology/insulin-in-beta-cells/

2. Which one of the following statements concerning the ability of acidosis to precipitate a crisis in sickle cell anemia is correct?

A. Acidosis decreases the solubility of Hb S
B. Acidosis increases the affinity of hemoglobin for oxygen
C. Acidosis favors the conversion of hemoglobin from the deoxy form to the relaxed conformation
D. Acidosis shifts the oxygen disassociation curve to the left
E. Acidosis decreases the ability of 2,3 BPG to bind to hemoglobin

Last edited:
I know the answer to the first one because I have been doing the questions from there for a while :D, but the second one I am not familiar with

Do you know the answer? I eliminated B, D, E pretty quickly but I'm not too sure about A or C. I would just guess A

I know the answer to the first one because I have been doing the questions from there for a while :D, but the second one I am not familiar with

Do you know the answer? I eliminated B, D, E pretty quickly but I'm not too sure about A or C. I would just guess A

Yeah the Answer is A. Good job. That was from a medical school Biochemistry textbook. lol.

C is wrong because acidosis (you can think of it as "equivalent" to exercise) = right shift = lowers oxygen affinity. Deoxy = lack oxygen. So it would stay deoxy not change to the other conformation. Relaxed conformation has to do with cooperativity of oxygen. (More oxygen, the better. :love:)

Hb S = sickled hemoglobin. You want it to be soluble or else it will get stuck in your arteries and you have a crisis. :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sickle-cell_disease#Sickle_cell_crisis

Last edited:
Congratulations on your scores! I just started studying for the DAT. Did you write any notes while you were reading Baron's AP Biology or did you just read through? Also, is there a link to the Anki flashcards you made for DAT Destroyer for the Biology section?

How do you know when you reached the point where you do not need to do any more learning, but only need to do practice questions? Did you study by topics or by subjects/sections?

Congratulations on your scores! I just started studying for the DAT. Did you write any notes while you were reading Baron's AP Biology or did you just read through? Also, is there a link to the Anki flashcards you made for DAT Destroyer for the Biology section?

Thanks. Yeah I wrote down notes. Always learn actively. Don't just read it. Reading is passive learning. It's only one-dimensional. When you read it and then write it down, it becomes two-dimensional and you are using muscle memory. Finally, you can add third and fourth-dimensions by doing DAT Destroyer questions and quizzing yourself through flashcards. Again, doing only one of these methods limits you to being one-dimensional. I believe most successful test takers do at least 3-dimensional studying. (reading it, writing down notes, and quizzing yourself over and over again)

Unfortunately, I can't give out the flashcards because there's a copyright on DAT Destroyer questions. Sorry about that. =/ If you don't want to make your own flashcards, you can just repeatedly do DAT Destroyer questions on a daily basis. A lot of people who get into the high 20s literally memorize the DAT Destroyer book by doing it 3 or 4 times. It's definitely possible.

Did you ONLY use Qvault for Biology?

I relied on QVAULT a lot but I also used DAT Destroyer, DAT BootCamp and others to do practice questions. For content, I used AP books. I preferred Barron's over Cliff's. I used both but some will swear by one of them. Just in case, use both! haha.

How do you know when you reached the point where you do not need to do any more learning, but only need to do practice questions? Did you study by topics or by subjects/sections?

I made myself a schedule based on the two months schedules that SDN people gave out. At some point, you score consistently enough that you realize you are ready. For me, 10 weeks was enough to learn the content, memorize it and then test myself on it. The best indicators are your practice test scores. Unfortunately, not everyone's practice test scores translates onto the real test, however, that's the only way we can tell if we are ready to take the test or not. I thought BootCamp is a good indicator as well as the 2007 and 2009 ADA tests. Don't worry about the ADA tests being easier, the curve is pretty steep.

Thanks for the response. Also, what exactly did you do to practice for the Chemistry sections? I already watched Chad's; I understand everything he went over (haven't quite memorized everything yet though), but I can't translate that to when I do practice problems. For instance, when I do practice tests on DATbootcamp, I do very poorly. I'm just kind of nervous because I only have a month left til' the big test and I expected Chemistry to come much easier. Thanks!

Hello! I was wondering what kind of schedule did you stick to when you were preparing for the DAT. I am currently a junior and planning to take the test during the summer (September), and I was wondering what would be the best and efficient way to prepare for the test? Any useful tips?

Thank you!

Hello! I was wondering what kind of schedule did you stick to when you were preparing for the DAT. I am currently a junior and planning to take the test during the summer (September), and I was wondering what would be the best and efficient way to prepare for the test? Any useful tips?

Thank you!

I made myself a schedule where I studied every topic each day, where I studied a good 6-7 hours everyday. However, some people are different to where they only study one or two topics each day for a shorter or longer period of time. You're a unique learner; by now, hopefully you understand yourself in how to study a topic (i.e. whether to use flashcards or not) and how long you can go for realistically. My advice: create a plan/ schedule now that's suited for you that has short term/ long term goals of what you want to accomplish (and make sure they're realistic). Afterwards, dedicate a day or two during a weekend or w/e you're free to try out your schedule (that way you know if you can actually accomplish the goals you set yourself). At that point, if the schedule is too easy, maybe add a few things; if it's too much, take out a few. You don't want to set unrealistic goals because if you don't accomplish them, then you'll only discourage yourself.

I took DAT in April, and I had a monthly schedule (I studied for about 3 months). An example of a scheduled day I set myself is: watch 2 videos of Chad's general/ organic chemistry & math, read a chapter of Barron's AP Biology, and take a practice test of PAT & Reading Comprehension... Now that I look back though, I had set myself unrealistic goals which probably ended up hurting my ego. However (and a last piece of advice), if you're going to set up yourself schedule, at the very least have a plan. It may sound weird, but there was a period of 2-3 weeks during my studies where I didn't set myself a schedule and I was in complete scramble mode!! IT WAS HELL, GAHH!!!! (Which is why I'm telling you this now to save yourself time/ stress! lol).... Hope that helped!