DAT Breakdown 9/20/12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Papasmurf1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finally done!!!
Took my OAT couple days ago...heres my breakdown if you want an additional breakdown for the Sciences/RC/QR.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=951387

Scores:

PAT: 21 (89.2%)
QR:21 (97.6%)
RC:19 (67.6%) <---lolllll...look at my RC on my OAT
BIO:19 (83.5%) :(
GC:22 (95.2%)
OCHEM:22 (96.2%)
TS:21 (96.2%)
AA:21 (97.2%)

Didn't do as well as expected but i'm not complaining.

Material used:

Kaplan Onsite Course - You can compare what my thoughts were about Kaplan in the OAT breakdown (Link above). On this test however, I got a much easier version of the science portion so I wasn't freaking out as much. So I think it depends on the version. Whether or not Kaplan is sufficient.

OAT Achiever (Similar to DAT Achiever but w/o PAT and with Physics) - Too hard IMO, didn't really learn much from this besides the fact that I suck at the OAT/DAT.

CDP Royal Flush Edition - Sufficient but questions are too easy compared to the real PAT. The thing about these programs is that I feel like because a lot of people use these programs and get better at the PAT, ADA has to make the tests harder. I bought the Royal Flush Edition because I only had about 3 weeks to get PAT down. My scores from 2 days after I got CDP were the same as when I ended so I don't necessarily think I learned anything...I just got used to doing the problems.

Comparisons:

*I recommend you read my OAT breakdown on some of these sections to get an idea of what I am comparing it to*

Bio: This section was significantly easier than the section I was given on the OAT. This time around, Kaplan's material was sufficient....for the most part. They still had very random topics. HOWEVER, I can tell you that, at least from my experience, they DO recycle some of the questions between tests so I had a couple questions that were given to me on the OAT for many of the sections. Also, they seem to have a specific category they are testing for as I got many questions in this test (along with the OAT) that tested for very similar concepts...sometimes just differently worded. So I would definitely say they pick out and choose certain topics to test per cycle or whenever they make the tests they base their questions around SPECIFIC topics. Bio is my favorite subject so I have no idea why I did so bad on this section...

Chem: Pretty straight forward...again, just about the same topics as my other test but a bit more broad and lots of very basic concepts.

Ochem: The only difference I can really point out from the last OAT and this is that I had a couple multisynthesis (3-4) problems. Other than that, as before, pretty basic and general.

PAT: CDP will NOT get you anything about 24 (IMO) on this section. And probably 24 if you are really good or are just plain lucky.

Angle - this was EXTREMELY easy compared to CDP. Most of it was so obvious...I only had 2 problems where the angles were 3 degrees apart. And no, I am not awesome at angles...I usually get around 75-80% on CDP angles.

Keyhole - quite difficult compared to CDP. CDP doesn't test you on the slight differences in proportions so this was a new experience for me. CDP Keyholes are really easy for me..I usually get 100% most of the time and do it within 7-8 minutes. On this test, it ook me 11 minutes...1 minute over the ideal mark.

TFE - this wasn't bad but it was more difficult than CDP. You can't use the 'Line counting' method. It doesn't work...I tried :( lol. You have to be able to visualize every shape in 3D or you will not do well here.

Cube Counting: This was pretty easy...except I got 6 different figures...on CDP they have 5 per section so I was very surprised to see 6.

Hole Punch: This section is very easy for me on CDP and I usually get 100% on most. However, on the DAT the papers are sometimes folded in different fractions other than in quarters. As in, sometimes it looks as if it is folded in 2/3. Very weird...some of these just didn't make any sense...you will understand when you take the test.

Pattern Folding: This section was harder than CDP. Very odd shapes...and sometimes you can't isolate the main shape based on one of the pieces because it will be an irregular shape.

Overall...CDP is easier than PAT but as long as you know HOW to do each section, I think you will be OK.

RC: The passages I got on the OAT were much more interesting to read so I think that is why I did better. Also, because I woke up at 5:30 I was getting sleepy by this time..haha...

QR: This section was MUCH easier than the version I had on the OAT. This just shows you some of the tests are much easier than others. This test overall had sections that were much easier than the sections I got on the OAT.

P.S. Can anyone tell me how my low Bio score will affect my admission? I am planning on applying next cycle (first day when it starts). Please do not tell me 'It depends on your GPA, extrcurricular, blah blah blah' because I just want to know specifically how this BIO DAT score will affect admissions chance of getting an interview. I guess what I am asking is...will this score automatically drop me out from some of the schools considering me as an applicant? I got a 3.8 accumulative for my Bio series (A-, A, A-).

Thanks! And I hope my breakdown has helped you and not worried some of you even more!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm finally done!!!

P.S. Can anyone tell me how my low Bio score will affect my admission? I am planning on applying next cycle (first day when it starts). Please do not tell me 'It depends on your GPA, extrcurricular, blah blah blah' because I just want to know specifically how this BIO DAT score will affect admissions chance of getting an interview. I guess what I am asking is...will this score automatically drop me out from some of the schools considering me as an applicant? I got a 3.8 accumulative for my Bio series (A-, A, A-).

Thanks! And I hope my breakdown has helped you and not worried some of you even more!

HaHa your scores are amazing, You will get Tons of interviews.. Please apply now so I don't compete with you next cycle :p Congrats!!

Hey comgrats on your scores. 97 percentile and only 21?? The mystery of scores and percentiles...anyways may I ask you why did you take OAT as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey comgrats on your scores. 97 percentile and only 21?? The mystery of scores and percentiles...anyways may I ask you why did you take OAT as well?

I initially started studying with the intention of doing Optometry. However, from what i've seen, it just isn't the field that I want to be in. Plus I don't want to spend my life doing 10 minute refractions. I took the DAT to see how I would do and now that I have a decent score I can start shadowing dentists to see if I really want to do it.

I initially started studying with the intention of doing Optometry. However, from what i've seen, it just isn't the field that I want to be in. Plus I don't want to spend my life doing 10 minute refractions. I took the DAT to see how I would do and now that I have a decent score I can start shadowing dentists to see if I really want to do it.
Try to shadow different specialties in field of dentistry! I am sure you gonna like it better than Optometry...Well, you only need 100 hours for most schools can easily be accomplished in two -three weeks

Try to shadow different specialties in field of dentistry! I am sure you gonna like it better than Optometry...Well, you only need 100 hours for most schools can easily be accomplished in two -three weeks

There are certain number of hours you need to complete? Very interesting...
Do you know how many LOR we need per school from dentists?

There are certain number of hours you need to complete? Very interesting...
Do you know how many LOR we need per school from dentists?
Either you get a committee letter or at least two recommendation letters from SCIENCE professors and maybe 1 from dentist.. Committee letter take longer to get because you need all other letter which are incorporated in one package ( folder) with the school dean letter, I think.. You need to have a least 100 hours of shadowing.. You can open up an application for this cycle to get an idea what are the sections to be completed, just don't pay and won't go thru..

A 19 is fine, especially combined with your A's.

Also- I had 20 TS (82.8%) and 20 AA (83.7%). Talk about weird... wish I could have been in the 90th percentile!! I think if my OC score was a 20 and not a 19, I would have averaged a 21 TS (and hence gotten up to the 96th percentile). Maybe we had different versions...?

Anyways, AWESOME job!!!! Don't let that one score make you feel less confident. You did great!

Last edited:
A 19 is fine, especially combined with your A's.

Also- I had 20 TS (82.8%) and 20 AA (83.7%). Talk about weird... wish I could have been in the 90th percentile!! I think if my OC score was a 20 and not a 19, I would have averaged a 21 TS (and hence gotten up to the 96th percentile). Maybe we had different versions...?

Anyways, AWESOME job!!!! Don't let that one score make you feel less confident. You did great!

thanks!!