DAT Breakdown (AA 24/TS 25)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khushi_km

Reaction score
(AA 24/ TS 25) Hello! I hope all is well. I took my DAT in Feb 2022, and finally got the time to do a proper breakdown. I used BC for the majority of my preparation; I hope this helps you. :)

PAT (18): This was my lowest section, but while taking the exam, I thought I would get perhaps a 16/17 (it was brutal). My strategy was to skip to angle ranking, as this was my strength, go till pattern folding and then return to keyhole/TFE. Unfortunately, the original strategy that I was using for angle ranking didn't work, and I ended up taking a lot more time on this section, making me panic for the other sections as I was running out of time. Also, I think I got 2-3 rock keyholes. I studied by watching the videos first, doing the question banks, and then moved onto practice tests. My recommendation: don't get comfortable with just one technique; know the other methods and apply them throughout your practice.

QR (22): The difficulty level is the same as BC. I studied by watching the videos and doing the related questions from the bank; after I finished them all, I moved on to the practice tests. I also wrote down re-occurring formulas/concepts on post-it notes and had them taped on my wall. My recommendation: know when to skip a problem - this can only be understood through practice, practice, practice. You know your strengths and weaknesses when you practice repeatedly, which will help you bag maximum correct questions.

RC (21): The passages and questions were more manageable than BC, but somehow I scored lower than my average on BC (23/24). I used the BY4U method during my studying because I am a very slow reader, but honestly, the passages were so interesting in the exam that I read them fully and had enough time to do the questions. My recommendation: If you only have a laptop right now, please please get a mouse (like a plug-in one, nothing fancy). What really helped me was highlighting as I read any dates, names, fact type statements, or opinion type statements. I would *not* recommend marking too many questions because the lag time is so awful that you will run out of time - so highlight, find the answer, mark it, and move on.

Biology (26): The questions are less detailed than BC, but that does not mean you should not take the time to understand the details of the questions - especially why some questions are right or wrong. I printed out the condensed version of the BC notes and read through them while doing annotations here and there. I then did the questions from the bank, but felt this was not enough to make me confident - so in my free time, I did bio bites for topics I was uncertain about. There were some topics and questions which I just couldn't nail down, so I took the help of youtube vids for better understanding. I also used DAT Booster for their bio practice tests and saw an overlap between concepts from Booster and BC - both were great with this section. My recommendation: Talk aloud - teach yourself, teach the wall, teach stuffed animals. Bio is about reinforcing concepts and details because the information is *a lot*. During the exam, I was able to talk myself through the options in my head and use the cross-out feature to confidently choose my option and move on.

GC (24): I felt like BC had a lot more calculations, but the exam was more conceptual. To study, I watched Dr. Mike's videos, did the questions bank, and made notes of anything he said to *memorize* and had that taped to my wall. I then moved on to practice tests. I would review the practice tests by briefly writing the question on a sheet of paper and then writing the thought process of how I can reach the answer (Dr. Mike's video explanations are excellent for this). I would then staple the "test" together and review it during my free time - this way, the concepts, and thought processes were fresh in my head. My recommendation: do not neglect GC when you start studying for Ochem, I made that mistake, and it was a bump in my studying.

Ochem (26): I was surprised by this score, given how much ochem made me cry in undergrad. I did the same thing as GC: I watched Dr. Mike's videos, annotated on the provided note sheet, and did the question bank. My recommendation: use the reaction condensed reaction sheet to make flashcards (cut the flashcard in half, and each half is a reaction). One card can be dedicated to "what is the product of this reaction," and the other could be "what reactants can get me this product." I also made flashcards for the lab tests.

Closing thoughts: hard work does pay off, so please keep studying! I was able to travel to India (after nine years) following my exam, and this score made my travel even better. A big thank you to Ari and the Bootcamp team!! Happy studying!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the detailed feedback! Was there anything you felt BC lacked in preparing you for the actual DAT?

Reactions: 1 user