1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

DAT Breakdown/Analysis

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by atysklind, Aug 2, 2011.

1. atysklind

Pre-Dental
    So I just took the DAT yesterday and my scores are as follows:

PA: 22
    QR: 17
    RC: 17
    Bio: 18
    GC: 19
    OC: 18

TS: 18
    AA: 18

I've got a 3.55 Cumulative GPA with a 3.75 Science GPA.

Is all hope lost? Let me know what you guys think...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Philippines03j

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Didn't you already post your scores? If not you have a twin roaming around this forum ;)

But to reply, No not all hope is lost. You have no real low scores that raise a red flag. If you want a better chance at getting in then retake and land scores that will get you a 20AA.

4. atysklind

Pre-Dental
    I had some account problems so I had to create a new one haha. But to your knowledge, is it advantageous to apply to numerous schools? As an Iowa resident, I'm thinking U of I is my best shot.

Also, does being a Business Management major carry any weight?

5. tayloreve

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    All hope is not lost! Do you have decent EC's?

6. Philippines03j

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would say that it is definitely an advantage to apply to more schools. By "numerous" I am not sure what number you are thinking but for me I would say 12-15 schools. The schools don't look down on this because they know dental school admissions is very competitive. Just choose your schools wisely (wouldn't take a chance on schools like harvard;))

Business major will not hurt you. The majority of students in my class are Biology majors but that is because the majority that apply are biology/science majors. We have computer science majors, piano major (or some sort of music), spanish major, and some others that are in my class.

As long as you did well in your science classes then you are fine (which by your gpa appears that you did do well).

7. atysklind

Pre-Dental
    I've been involved in about 3 honors organizations, as well as several (6) campus groups. I have 55 hours worth of shadow experience (general dentist, oral surgeon, cosmetics) and worked at the U of I Dental School for awhile assisting patients.

I'm not sure how to gauge what you mean by "decent EC's", but that's about where I'm at! What do ya think?

#6 atysklind, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  8. nondescriptive

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hope is never lost---

Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence. ~Lin Yutang

9. wizi

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    my friend got into 2 schools with a little bit higher DAT than yours (18,19). He had the same GPA. So no, you have better chance than alot of people with that GPA. Although if you retake and get around 20, you be golden.

10. dantemac

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Your GPA is strong at best, perhaps average, and your DAT score is average. Apply broadly and you should be fine. Your EC's look good too. 55 Hours of shadowing and working in a dental school is always good.

Good job!