DAT breakdown and HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drgonza

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got done with my DAT this morning.
Here's my score breakdown:

PAT: 18
QR: 19
RC: 20
Biology: 24
GC: 21
OC: 20

Total Science: 21
AA: 21

This is my first time taking the DAT and applying..
My GPA is around 3.6, science GPA around 3.5

I am just worried that my scores aren't good enough (reading the posts by others) and wondering if I have a chance in getting to dental schools, or even get an interview for that matter.

I would really appreciate some input by anyone who has experience..
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

scores are solid
21s in both categories are good

and you have a nice GPA

suggestions for studyin BIO?

You have no chance during this cycle. You might as well start preparing for the 2011 cycle. Sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you suhshi, BIO wise I reviewed my material using KAPLAN's DAT and MCAT BIO
then learned more details from DAT destroyer questions.
DAT destroyer questions were a lot more specific than what they would actually ask you but it does a good job at freaking you out and making you study. Also it reminds you of the areas that you're not comfortable with.

The percentiles on your score sheet should give you some idea of how competitive your scores are.....

Molest google for a few minutes and you can pull some stats for those matriculating into dental school.

Here's the thing, intellect is not summed up in your GPA and DAT scores. If you're scoring 20+ on the DAT and you're still incapable of figuring out that you have a decent chance and you act like you're terrified of not getting interviews, then you're not smart enough to go to Dental School anyways.

Here's the thing, intellect is not summed up in your GPA and DAT scores. If you're scoring 20+ on the DAT and you're still incapable of figuring out that you have a decent chance and you act like you're terrified of not getting interviews, then you're not smart enough to go to Dental School anyways.

:thumbup:

Best thing I have ever read on SDN :thumbup:
This is my thought every time I read these ridiculous post.

i kiddd gL OP :D

man people r grouchy now a days......the guy just wanted an honest opinion sheesh

Exactly....The OP is obviously new and unaware of the extremely high level of narcissism on these forums. It would have been better to redirect some one as ignorant (in a literal term, without knowledge, not that they are stupid) to the application statistics to another source, like this one:

http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_spring_09.pdf (page 5)

or this one:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602216

Thank you jay47 and YES I am new to this site.
I thought this was a forum where people could talk comfortably without being ridiculed. Could have said it in a nicer way nze
I was worried because I've been reading posts of AA 23, 22's and how someone got rejected with an AA 20
Anyways thank you for your inputs.

Thank you jay47 and YES I am new to this site.
I thought this was a forum where people could talk comfortably without being ridiculed. Could have said it in a nicer way nze
I was worried because I've been reading posts of AA 23, 22's and how someone got rejected with an AA 20
Anyways thank you for your inputs.
At some point you need to trust yourself and feel good about your achievements without the need to seek other people's approval. Obviously, there will always be students who will score 23+. However, this does not and should not render your achievements worthless.

At some point you need to trust yourself and feel good about your achievements without the need to seek other people's approval. Obviously, there will always be students who will score 23+. However, this does not and should not render your achievements worthless.

Thats interesting since all you do is sit on sdn all day trying to look smart to make urself feel btr and scare off people not as needy as u for attn its cool tho if thats how you and the other downers get ur jollies :thumbup:

Thats interesting since all you do is sit on sdn all day trying to look smart to make urself feel btr and scare off people not as needy as u for attn its cool tho if thats how you and the other downers get ur jollies :thumbup:
First of all, I'm not here to give people false hope like many others do! I try to give people constructive feedback and I don't need you to tell me whether or not I'm doing that right. I don't need to try to look smart, because I'm pretty sure I am smart even without trying:laugh:
I spend a lot of time on SDN, because I did rather well on my exam and I like to help everyone else to do well on their exams. I help a lot of people with their questions regarding the material and/or the application process, and I try to provide them with useful information to the best of my abilities.
I don't give people false hope, because I've gone through that myself.
I have seen posts here, where people have listed their scores and they have scores in the 15-16 range; yet, other posters have mentioned that "Oh! you'll be just fine." Well that may sound comforting for a day or two, but when rejection letters pile up, it's gonna hurt!!!
Also, I don't like it when people play it dumb to get other people's sympathy. I say it again, if you're scoring 20+ and you're still nagging that oh my scores aren't good enough, you're pretty much doing it to get attention, because any predental student (new or old to this forum) should know that scores of 20+ are very decent.
I'm not here to replace your mom and tell you everything is going to be OK! If someone scores an AA 17 on his/her DAT I'm gonna tell him/her it's a good idea to retake whether or not he/she likes it.
If you're too soft and you can't handle this you're more than welcome to put me on your ignore list!!
Finally, I think the OP is capable of defending himself/herself, so do me a favor and mind you own business. If I ever decided to give you my time and make a comment about your posts, you can be all upset about it.

man people r grouchy now a days......the guy just wanted an honest opinion sheesh

It's not being grouchy, it's that when you read post after post of people with significantly above average stats that are terrified of not getting in, it gets really old. It's like, "seriously man, do your own research, it's not that hard. If you've got above average stats, you've got an above average chance."

+1 to nze.

I think it's pretty bad when people ask if they are going to be okay. If you have a 17 i can understand your concern. But when you have an above averge GPA and DAT... why the eff would you be worried... if you are smart enought to get a 21... i'm sure you can figure out whether you are competitive.