DAT Breakdown for the Anxious Non-Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fayevalentine

See you space cowboy.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I get to the breakdown, I owe a giant THANK YOU to some of you. So many of you took time out of your busy lives to encourage and motivate me, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. A few people in particular who went above and beyond, in no particular order: orgoman22, AintNobodyGotTimeForDAT, LuckBloodandSweat, WheatLom okiedokeartichoke, klownzo, Axiomatician, fit2, DrLTD, pateeth, Hard Work Pays Off.
I thank you all for being such kind, amazing, super badass folk :clap:.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BREAKDOWN

Some of you may remember me from posts such as "If I were to get a very low DAT (say like a 16AA or something) would a retake even matter?" and "So disappointed: 2009 Practice Test". I was convinced that I was literally too stupid to pull off a decent score. Fortunately, that was not the case ;).

I am a non-trad and haven't taken a science class in several years. When I started studying, I realized that not only did I not remember almost anything from chemistry, but I actually had never fully understood the concepts back when I did take the classes. I was great at memorizing enough to ace the tests, but I didn't truly learn a lot. Realizing this was very scary, as I had only a few months to completely teach myself things and then try to get fast at doing them. I quit my job to study, and only had a few months of saving, so I was on a time crunch!

I studied for about 2.5-3 months in total, but didn't buckle down hard until the last month. The last month I studied on average 9 hours a day. I would definitely recommend that anyone starting to study creates a study plan and sticks with it. I procrastinated so much in the beginning because I kept thinking I had enough time. Don't make that mistake. You do NOT want to take this thing again if you can help it. That being said - don't be afraid of a retake either! I worked myself up into tears because I was so concerned that I would get a low score and never try again because that would mean I was stupid. I can promise you that if you don't do well, it does not necessarily mean you are not intelligent. A LOT of this test is based on luck. You may just get unlucky and get tested on something you didn't study as hard. If you have to retake, it's okay! Don't be like me and feel like your life will be over! I truly feel like half of what you're being tested on is just your ability to handle the pressure, so go in with confidence and you will succeed! If not the first time, then the second or even third time. You have what it takes!

My scores:
AA 21
TS 21
BIO 20
GC 21
OC 22
RC 22
QR 18
PAT 17

BIO: This section was very random, but none of it was actually difficult per se. My advice would be to review a little of every topic you can. Nothing was too in depth. There was just a lot of random stuff that you could probably answer correctly if you had glanced at it in the past month or two. I mainly used Destroyer and Bootcamp for this section. I also used the AintNobodyGotTimeForDAT Anki Deck the last week before my test and wished I had more time to review them. I didn't bother with Cliff's at all.

GEN CHEM & ORGO: These were both very straightforward. Watch Chad's and go through Destroyer- those are truly all you need to pull off a 20+ in these sections. There were some conceptual questions, but those two sources covered them all.

READING: Not much to say here. I did 2 practice tests on Bootcamp and scored well, so I didn't study any more. I've never struggled with reading so I apologize if I don't have any real advice for you guys.

QR: I freaked out because I had only studied this the last week before my test and was doing TERRIBLY. I may have gotten lucky, but the real test was SO much easier than Bootcamp and Destroyer! Don't ignore this section, though, because I've heard others say their version has been harder or on par with Bootcamp's QR. If you can master those two resources, you will be golden on the real thing.

PAT: I won't sugarcoat it - I did not bother to study for this much. I hated practicing it and I was so concerned with my science scores, I did a grand total of 3 practice tests and that was it. I absolutely do not recommend this to anyone. Study this daily to do well. You really should not ignore this section. This score will probably hurt me, so don't make my mistake.

OTHER THOUGHTS:

I received this tidbit of very good advice from Nancy Steen: don't worry about your practice test scores. I focused on these too much and lost too much time being upset over them. For those of you worried, I didn't break a 20 on either the 2007 or 2009 exams. I buckled down the last week because I was so panicked over these, and I did fine. STUDY HARD AND KNOW THE MATERIAL! There is no way to accurately predict your score, so quit trying and use your time to review and practice.

If anyone needs some motivation or has any question about the exam (obviously aside from asking me what questions were on it - I'm not about to get my scores invalidated to help you cheat) I would be more than happy to help you. Send me a PM and I'll do what I can. Now, get your butt off SDN and go study, slacker :).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
You did an awesome job! I'm proud of you :D. I agree with you for BIO. I don't think there's much of a point in using Cliffs. I felt like you the first time I was taking the test. I thought I'd fail and that I wasted a month for nothing. That attitude does not help at all; always go in there with as much confidence as possible. Being able to handle pressure is almost as important as your knowledge and problem solving ability.

Reactions: 2 users
Before I get to the breakdown, I owe a giant THANK YOU to some of you. So many of you took time out of your busy lives to encourage and motivate me, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. A few people in particular who went above and beyond, in no particular order: orgoman22, AintNobodyGotTimeForDAT, LuckBloodandSweat, WheatLom okiedokeartichoke, klownzo, Axiomatician, fit2, DrLTD, pateeth, Hard Work Pays Off.
I thank you all for being such kind, amazing, super badass folk :clap:.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BREAKDOWN

Some of you may remember me from posts such as "If I were to get a very low DAT (say like a 16AA or something) would a retake even matter?" and "So disappointed: 2009 Practice Test". I was convinced that I was literally too stupid to pull off a decent score. Fortunately, that was not the case ;).

I am a non-trad and haven't taken a science class in several years. When I started studying, I realized that not only did I not remember almost anything from chemistry, but I actually had never fully understood the concepts back when I did take the classes. I was great at memorizing enough to ace the tests, but I didn't truly learn a lot. Realizing this was very scary, as I had only a few months to completely teach myself things and then try to get fast at doing them. I quit my job to study, and only had a few months of saving, so I was on a time crunch!

I studied for about 2.5-3 months in total, but didn't buckle down hard until the last month. The last month I studied on average 9 hours a day. I would definitely recommend that anyone starting to study creates a study plan and sticks with it. I procrastinated so much in the beginning because I kept thinking I had enough time. Don't make that mistake. You do NOT want to take this thing again if you can help it. That being said - don't be afraid of a retake either! I worked myself up into tears because I was so concerned that I would get a low score and never try again because that would mean I was stupid. I can promise you that if you don't do well, it does not necessarily mean you are not intelligent. A LOT of this test is based on luck. You may just get unlucky and get tested on something you didn't study as hard. If you have to retake, it's okay! Don't be like me and feel like your life will be over! I truly feel like half of what you're being tested on is just your ability to handle the pressure, so go in with confidence and you will succeed! If not the first time, then the second or even third time. You have what it takes!

My scores:
AA 21
TS 21
BIO 20
GC 21
OC 22
RC 22
QR 18
PAT 17

BIO: This section was very random, but none of it was actually difficult per se. My advice would be to review a little of every topic you can. Nothing was too in depth. There was just a lot of random stuff that you could probably answer correctly if you had glanced at it in the past month or two. I mainly used Destroyer and Bootcamp for this section. I also used the AintNobodyGotTimeForDAT Anki Deck the last week before my test and wished I had more time to review them. I didn't bother with Cliff's at all.

GEN CHEM & ORGO: These were both very straightforward. Watch Chad's and go through Destroyer- those are truly all you need to pull off a 20+ in these sections. There were some conceptual questions, but those two sources covered them all.

READING: Not much to say here. I did 2 practice tests on Bootcamp and scored well, so I didn't study any more. I've never struggled with reading so I apologize if I don't have any real advice for you guys.

QR: I freaked out because I had only studied this the last week before my test and was doing TERRIBLY. I may have gotten lucky, but the real test was SO much easier than Bootcamp and Destroyer! Don't ignore this section, though, because I've heard others say their version has been harder or on par with Bootcamp's QR. If you can master those two resources, you will be golden on the real thing.

PAT: I won't sugarcoat it - I did not bother to study for this much. I hated practicing it and I was so concerned with my science scores, I did a grand total of 3 practice tests and that was it. I absolutely do not recommend this to anyone. Study this daily to do well. You really should not ignore this section. This score will probably hurt me, so don't make my mistake.

OTHER THOUGHTS:.

I received this tidbit of very good advice from Nancy Steen: don't worry about your practice test scores. I focused on these too much and lost too much time being upset over them. For those of you worried, I didn't break a 20 on either the 2007 or 2009 exams. I buckled down the last week because I was so panicked over these, and I did fine. STUDY HARD AND KNOW THE MATERIAL! There is no way to accurately predict your score, so quit trying and use your time to review and practice.

If anyone needs some motivation or has any question about the exam (obviously aside from asking me what questions were on it - I'm not about to get my scores invalidated to help you cheat) I would be more than happy to help you. Send me a PM and I'll do what I can. Now, get your butt off SDN and go study, slacker :).
Congratulations!!! I was happy to be a small part of your journey and happy to see these scores, you worked hard for them. I know you were so worried about QR and you came out unscathed, yippee!

Thanks for the shout out and breakdown..

Wishing you the best...Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
I felt the same way about completely teaching myself the material. So daunting! I'm kinda sorta a non-trad as well, but in the sense that I didn't go straight into D-school right after college (just took a gap year). But I still haven't had organic chem in ... 3-4 years? Plus, I didn't do so hot in the classes either so it practically was like teaching myself the material from scratch right from the beginning. And then before my post-bacc, I haven't had a biology class in 4 years. Math? 5 years, so I'm with you :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! A job well done. Glad to see that you were able to overcome your nerves and come out on top. Just a testament to the fact that hard work really does pay off in the end

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Great job! You killed it! I was expecting nothing less! Time to relax and enjoy the rest of summer!

You did an awesome job! I'm proud of you :D. I agree with you for BIO. I don't think there's much of a point in using Cliffs. I felt like you the first time I was taking the test. I thought I'd fail and that I wasted a month for nothing. That attitude does not help at all; always go in there with as much confidence as possible. Being able to handle pressure is almost as important as your knowledge and problem solving ability.
what do you mean there is no point in clifff.....
omg

omg

Different strokes for different folks.

I had a super weak biology background, so cliffs was awesome for me. It was not useless for me, but I could see it being useless for someone else.

That said, I think Destroyer is essential no matter what. If you have enjoyed cliffs and feel that you are learning from it, then more power to you! Don't let other people's experiences stress you out too much

Reactions: 2 users
Great job! You killed it! I was expecting nothing less! Time to relax and enjoy the rest of summer!
Thank you! Your comment about not giving up halfway through even when you thought you failed seriously helped me push through. I went out to my car and was crying because I thought I bombed SNS and wanted to drive off but I remembered what your fiance told you :)

Congratulations!
What exactly did you do the final week?
Thank you! I focused on going over Destroyer and Math Deatroyer as well as questions I got wrong on Bootcamp. I studied lonngggg days that last week and kind of burnt out but I do think it was worth it still. I know a lot of people say to take off the day before but that's just not how I operate :)

Last edited:
omg
I didn't bother with it because I have a degree in biology so I've taken all the classes. If you've never had genetics, micro, and so on Cliffs would probably be beneficial to help you get a foundation :)

Congratulations!!! I was happy to be a small part of your journey and happy to see these scores, you worked hard for them. I know you were so worried about QR and you came out unscathed, yippee!

Thanks for the shout out and breakdown..

Wishing you the best...Nancy....
Thanks Nancy! I truly appreciate your phone call and help with those last minute questions :) I also couldn't have done it without Destroyer :D

Edit: my phone sucks at English

Last edited: