DAT Breakdown for the Common Man

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rand627

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey friends, took my DAT today and my goodness it feels good to be done. I honestly feel like I don't have a purpose at the moment, like what the heck am I supposed to do!

Anyway. I ended up with..

PAT - 20
QR - 22
RC - 27
Bio - 22
GC - 22
OC - 19
TS - 21
AA - 22

Time I spent:
4 weeks at 6 hours a day. That was my useful limit. Any more and I would have gone crazy.

Materials I used:
I bought 3 books from a friend: the Kaplan DAT 2015, some ACS O chem study book, and DAT Destroyer 2015. These are the books BYU test prep gives you, cost me 100 bucks for them from someone who took the class. I watched all Chad's videos (minus the bio section) once. Took me two months so that was 100 as well. I used DAT Bootcamp which cost me 150. Finally, I did use the 2007 and 2009 DAT. Total was 350 bucks, ish.

Quality of said materials:
Kaplan DAT 2015: PAT section is useless. Didn't touch either chem section. I read through probably 50% of the bio sections (the ones I was weak at). It was helpful, but certainly not necessary.

ACS O Chem: Haha..didn't touch it. Maybe that's why I ended up with a 19 in OC.

DAT Destroyer 2015: This will be a somewhat unpopular opinion. I know orgoman browses the forum and he/she does a great job at being involved. But I did NOT like the book. I do feel like it was too difficult in general, and it just frustrated me. That being said, if you learn well by solving difficult problems and trying to understand them, more power to you. It wasn't great for me. Again though, only a 19 on OC so heck, take my advice with caution.

Chads Videos: Man am I tired of his voice, haha. He does a very good job at lecturing, however. I don't feel like they're necessary but they are helpful for those weak in OC/GC/QR.

Bootcamp: My number 1 resource. If I was asked all of the GC/OC/BIO questions I would get a 95%+. I knew all the questions and felt like they were quite representative of the actual test, definitely moreso than the Destroyer. I probably used the resource too much to be honest, and didn't branch out to other questions enough. I can't really give you scores here, I used it mostly as a resource for questions and not for tests. However, I did use the PAT and QR as tests and I got, on average, a 19 on the PAT sections and 18 on the QR sections.

2007 DAT: I used this as a practice bank of questions, I did NOT use it as a test prep. I went through and made sure I knew 100% of the questions. It was definitely helpful. I went through it twice.

2009 DAT: I used this as an actual test. I got a..

PAT - 22. Ended up doing 2 points worse.
QR - 17. Ended up doing 5 points better
RC - 21. Ended up doing 6 points better.
Bio - 20. Ended up doing 2 points better.
GC - 19. Ended up doing 3 points better.
OC - 19. Tie!

My Thoughts:

So I didn't do as well on the PAT as I should have. I'm not sure what else to say. My Bootcamp scores were pretty representative of my actual. I expected to get a 21-23 here.

I was MOST worried about QR, but for some reason I did really well! Some of the questions were really easy. I expected to get a 18-20.

I knew RC was going to be my best section, I got a 22 on my first bootcamp and only took 3 bootcamp RC sections as prep. Really, it's pretty easy stuff for me so I did well. I expected to get a 25 ish.

Bio is a crapshoot. Study what you can, and make sure you know everything about each answer. I expected to get a 20-21 here.

GC I felt like was my specialty, I expected to do really well. I could do any bootcamp question with ease. 22 is okay. I expected a 23+.

OC..ew. I hate OC, but I expected to get a 20+. There was some random crap on the test that I hadn't ever seen.

Conclusion:

I am happy with a 22. There are better scores out there, but getting a 27 on RC is great because I know a lot of schools put a lot of umph into that score. I wish I had all 20+'s, but O chem got in my way.

If you guys have any questions, especially those who are going to take the test soon, please ask away.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! My scores are similar to yours except I would have loved to steal your RC score. Feels good to have this test off your chest huh?

Hey friends, took my DAT today and my goodness it feels good to be done. I honestly feel like I don't have a purpose at the moment, like what the heck am I supposed to do!

PAT - 20
QR - 22
RC - 27
Bio - 22
GC - 22
OC - 19
TS - 21
AA - 22

Time I spent:
4 weeks at 6 hours a day. That was my useful limit. Any more and I would have gone crazy.

Materials I used:
I bought 3 books from a friend: the Kaplan DAT 2015, some ACS O chem study book, and DAT Destroyer 2015. These are the books BYU test prep gives you, cost me 100 bucks for them from someone who took the class. I watched all Chad's videos (minus the bio section) once. Took me two months so that was 100 as well. I used DAT Bootcamp which cost me 150. Finally, I did use the 2007 and 2009 DAT. Total was 350 bucks, ish.

Kaplan DAT 2015: PAT section is useless. Didn't touch either chem section. I read through probably 50% of the bio sections (the ones I was weak at). It was helpful, but certainly not necessary.

DAT Destroyer 2015: This will be a somewhat unpopular opinion. I know orgoman browses the forum and he/she does a great job at being involved. But I did NOT like the book. I do feel like it was too difficult in general, and it just frustrated me. That being said, if you learn well by solving difficult problems and trying to understand them, more power to you. It wasn't great for me. Again though, only a 19 on OC so heck, take my advice with caution.

Chads Videos: Man am I tired of his voice, haha. He does a very good job at lecturing, however. I don't feel like they're necessary but they are helpful for those weak in OC/GC/QR.

Bootcamp: My number 1 resource. If I was asked all of the GC/OC/BIO questions I would get a 95%+. I knew all the questions and felt like they were quite representative of the actual test, definitely moreso than the Destroyer. I probably used the resource too much to be honest, and didn't branch out to other questions enough. I can't really give you scores here, I used it mostly as a resource for questions and not for tests. However, I did use the PAT and QR as tests and I got, on average, a 19 on the PAT sections and 18 on the QR sections.

2007 DAT: I used this as a practice bank of questions, I did NOT use it as a test prep. I went through and made sure I knew 100% of the questions. It was definitely helpful. I went through it twice.

OC - 19. Tie!

My Thoughts:

So I didn't do as well on the PAT as I should have. I'm not sure what else to say. My Bootcamp scores were pretty representative of my actual. I expected to get a 21-23 here.

I was MOST worried about QR, but for some reason I did really well! Some of the questions were really easy. I expected to get a 18-20.

I knew RC was going to be my best section, I got a 22 on my first bootcamp and only took 3 bootcamp RC sections as prep. Really, it's pretty easy stuff for me so I did well. I expected to get a 25 ish.

Bio is a crapshoot. Study what you can, and make sure you know everything about each answer. I expected to get a 20-21 here.

GC I felt like was my specialty, I expected to do really well. I could do any bootcamp question with ease. 22 is okay. I expected a 23+.

OC..ew. I hate OC, but I expected to get a 20+. There was some random crap on the test that I hadn't ever seen.

Conclusion:

I am happy with a 22. There are better scores out there, but getting a 27 on RC is great because I know a lot of schools put a lot of umph into that score. I wish I had all 20+'s, but O chem got in my way.

If you guys have any questions, especially those who are going to take the test soon, please ask away.

Thanks guys!
Congratulations, I have worked with many BYU students and they are smart! Sorry the DAT Destroyer wasn't your cup of tea...doesn't matter, you got the job done and that is what matters!

Wishing you the best along your journey to becoming a dentist.

Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
It feels SO good, haha. It's such a strange feeling after basically not leaving the house for 4 weeks..then being done. 100% done. Now I get to decide where to apply!

And thank you Nancy! I appreciate the good will.

Reactions: 1 users
I went in thinking I would do the combo map it out while making sure to look for the answer on the page. For whatever reason I just didn't map it out, so I read the first question, and read in the passage until I found it, then the next and so on. If I got to the end and all the questions weren't answered I just did search/destroy. I had 20 minutes after doing all 50 questions and I went back and changed 3 or so.

I think the biggest reason I did well on RC was because I've read a lot of books and overall I just enjoy reading. I actually found myself enjoying the passages.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks so much for the breakdown! I'm taking the DAT next week and was wondering if you could answer some questions: you mentioned that you were most worried for QR and I can relate (been getting around a 19 average on bootcamp). I've read on other threads that people found the QR on the real DAT easier than bootcamp because the questions were less wordy and not as time-consuming, would you agree with those statements?

And any advice on what to do in the days leading up to the exam (i.e. review bio? Bootcamp tests?) Anyway, congratulations on the amazing scores (especially that RC!) and hope you get a chance to relax now :)

Yeah, so QR. I took like, 6 of the bootcamp QR tests and was getting a 19 almost every time (think my high was 20) and was getting really frustrated. Then I took the 2009 QR and holy crap, out of the first 5 questions I think 4 of them were just totally outside of my range of do-ability and got a 17.

So yes, getting a 22 on the QR was a surprise and I would agree that the real test is far less wordy and for the most part, way easier. About 4 days out from the test I just gave up on prepping for the QR as I'm told it's one of the less important sections.

The days leading up to the exam I mostly went through the 2009 and 2007 tests, while also looking up random bio things like hormones and enzymes. I didn't sleep well like, 3 days before the exam and on. I was going kind of crazy, my wife was gone all day at work and I was at home with my two cats studying, haha.

Thanks!

Great job! We have similar scores :) Except I screwed up on the QR :unsure:

If you don't mind me asking, what schools are you looking at?

So my wife and I decided the best cost/benefit ratio is applying to 10 schools, I have a 3.66 sgpa and 3.6 GPA. 5 of the schools will be 'safe' or medium safe, and the other 5 will be state colleges that will be harder to get in as a Cali resident.

So my 5 safe/semi safe are UCLA, UNLV, Creighton, Roseman, and one other private school..probably Loma Linda or Midwestern. Still not sure about the 5 unsafe schools, but I'm thinking Pittsburgh, Michigan, Ohio State, Baylor (really unsafe, haha), and 1 other.

You got these scores by only studying 4 weeks!!!!! To be honest I will need a few months lol
Congrats on a job well done. The 20 on the PAT is strong
Good luck

Congratulations on your scores! Glad we could help. Just curious by the way, is your avatar of super smash brothers? And if so do you play melee?
It is! I've played all 4 iterations of smash, favorite being brawl but definitely liked melee!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys!

And Ari, do people (particularly the new students) treat you like a dental celebrity? Everyone at BYU knows about bootcamp, I feel like as the head (or whatever you are, owner?) of it you should be like, famous!

It's that time of the year again when the insane scores start popping up. lol
congratulations. You killed it. I like your scores and your GPA :) and I like the fact that you are considering safety schools.
That's a very smart move.
What I didn't like is when you said ( or other sdners say) Bio is a crapshoot :(
That scares the hell out of me. LOL
Enjoy your summer

Thanks guys!

And Ari, you'd be totally famous if you came down to BYU and gave a speech about the DAT or something! When I was walking out of the prometric center there was another BYU kid coming in to do his testdrive thing and we got to talking, I told him I used Bootcamp and he said "of course". It's pretty dang standard over here.

Thanks so much for the breakdown! I'm taking the DAT next week and was wondering if you could answer some questions: you mentioned that you were most worried for QR and I can relate (been getting around a 19 average on bootcamp). I've read on other threads that people found the QR on the real DAT easier than bootcamp because the questions were less wordy and not as time-consuming, would you agree with those statements?

And any advice on what to do in the days leading up to the exam (i.e. review bio? Bootcamp tests?) Anyway, congratulations on the amazing scores (especially that RC!) and hope you get a chance to relax now :)

Quick question did you use the 2009 DAT that's online with the errors?
thanks!!

Thanks guys!

And Ari, you'd be totally famous if you came down to BYU and gave a speech about the DAT or something! When I was walking out of the prometric center there was another BYU kid coming in to do his testdrive thing and we got to talking, I told him I used Bootcamp and he said "of course". It's pretty dang standard over here.
I'm visiting near Provo this fall, I'll send a message out to the pre-dent club later and see if we can figure something out. Thank you for the kind words!

Yeah, I used the scanned PDF file that is kind of blurry. It's also missing 5 questions in the PAT section.

I've only been to one pre-dent meeting, but if it does work out let me know, it would be fun to attend!

PAT - 20
QR - 22
RC - 27
Bio - 22
GC - 22
OC - 19
TS - 21
AA - 22

Time I spent:

Materials I used:

OC - 19. Tie!

My Thoughts:

Conclusion:

Thanks guys!
loll your way of speaking is hilarious ahah made my night.

PAT - 20
QR - 22
RC - 27
Bio - 22
GC - 22
OC - 19
TS - 21
AA - 22

Time I spent:

Materials I used:

OC - 19. Tie!

My Thoughts:

Conclusion:

Thanks guys!

Congratulations!
Honestly you're scores on 2009 and your actual scores make me feel a lot better! Thank you for the breakdown!

Reactions: 1 user