DAT Breakdown July 7, 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSchiff

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to thank everyone on this site for all your helpful pointers and words of encouragement over the past two months. These posts really go a long way so I'd love to give back to the SDN community. I wouldn't have known about any of these resources were it not for you guys. I am really happy with my scores, but I definitely put in tons of hours (Middle of May - July 7). Here it is!

DAT Breakdown
Perceptual Ability - 22
Quantitative Reasoning - 27
Reading Comprehension - 24
Biology - 26
General Chemistry - 28
Organic Chemistry - 29
Total Science - 28
Academic Average - 27
scores3.jpg

I am going to be a senior at an Ivy League university majoring in Bio and History with a pretty solid GPA. My bio major (courses taken: DevBio, Physio) definitely helped in the bio section.

I used Bootcamp. Destroyer (Thanks Dr. Romano!). Crack DAT. CHAD!!! Oh, and I also attempted at Achiever but took a huge shot to my confidence so I couldn't bear it
I studied around 5-6 hrs. a day for two months with plenty of breaks. I actually was initially signed up to take the test July 17 but was so burnt out that i rescheduled to take it earlier and it definitely paid off!

Practice Scores
CRACK DAT
PAT: 19,20,19,20,23,21,21,18,24
QR:20,22,22,18,20,19,19,21,24,22,20,23,28,28,24
Reading: 20,21,22,18,21,24,22
Bio: 21, 20, 20, 23, 23, 21, 21, 20, 23, 20
Orgo: 23, 23, 23, 23, 21, 20, , 23, 23, 21
GC: 21, 21, 21, 19, 19, 21, 23 23, 21, 21
BOOTCAMP
Reading: 18, 18, 21, 23, 22
Bio: 28, 24, 23, 26, 23
Orgo: 22, 24, 22, 21, 26
GC: 25, 24, 26, 22, 25
PAT: 18, 19, 21, 21, 20

Test that comes with Kaplan Blue book: PAT: 23 Reading: 25 Orgo: 21

2009 ADA

TS: 21 (for some reason I wasn't able to see t
PAT: 25
QR: 20
RC: 24

PAT (22) - For this section I primarily used Bootcamp and Crack DAT. When I first started studying this was by far my biggest challenge as it was nothing like I've ever done before. At first I watched some of the videos on youtube looking for tricks but ultimately the most important thing is really practice. The more you train your eye to look for certain things the quicker you will get. Unfortunate as it may be, I found CDP to be too easy when compared to the actual thing. I'd say you will likely see a score on your DAT somewhere right in between your Bootcamp and CDP scores, with bootcamp being the lower bound. Also this was harder than 2009 ADA practice exam sorry folks.
Keyhole- by far more similar to bootcamp than CDP. There were really obscure shapes that I just simply had to skip. Trust me you need to train your eye to look for proportions as opposed to just shapes as with CDP. Great work bootcamp, forgive me for doubting you!
TFE- This section wasn't so bad I'd say you're fine with CDP or bootcamp either way.
Angle Ranking- easier than CDP. Probably more similar to bootcamp
Hole Punching - this was a breeze on the actual thing, really helped me get my timing back on track as I was a bit behind at this point.
Cube- really easy, easier than CDP. I didn't even need to write up a tally just eyeballed it and saved time!
Pattern Folding- I'd say a little harder than CDP, but way easier than Bootcamp.

QR (27) - I was really pleasantly surprised by how manageable this section was. Bootcamp was really hard compared to the actual thing. Math destroyer all the way! I didn't time myself on these I just used it to get a handle of the type of questions asked. Crack Dat was awesome for improving my speed. The test was very similar to Crack DAT. There were very basic probabilities, geometry, trig, conversions etc nothing too bad at all. Just go through math destroyer and the QR section at the end of DAT Destroyer then go with Crack, and you're all set. Chad has a few great videos for QR especially his probability, permutations, rate problems videos really made things a whole lot easier.

Reading (24) - I am an avid reader and a humanities major, yet I always felt strongly that Search and Destroy was the way to go for this section. Don't read the passages!! If you do read them, you'll end up going back into the passages to look for answers double checking yourself anyways. Might as well just dive right into the questions and skim the passages as you search. Overwhelming majority of questions were S&D. Both bootcamp and Crack were good practice, but there were much less inference questions, or questions where you were actually required to think on the actual thing. I had an incredibly tough physics passage about bosons so I thought I did really poorly on this section after that passage. The other two were pretty interesting and easy. Not much more to say about this section, just sharpen your ability to search for key words and skim paragraphs.

Biology (26) - I am a pretty strong Biology student, but my bio classes in school geared towards MCAT (AKA didn't teach plants, taxonomy, ecology, etc) so I had to teach all that stuff to myself and do some serious memorization. DAT destroyer was a great tool for this. It was on the money for a lot of Qs. I also read Feralis' notes to fill in the gaps along with Kaplan Blue book. But I must've gone through destroyer bio 3-4 times to the point where I had most questions memorized as crazy as that may sound. Bootcamp is the best way to test your bio, don't go near Crack Dat for this! HOWEVER, This section is not a walk in the park at all. There are plenty of random Qs with obscure terms. More so than I would have liked. I was shocked by how many I had to skip initially (6), and equally shocked by how well I did because of how unsure I was throughout. If you have a good grasp of the material though then you should be able to excel despite these few random questions.

GC (28) - I had very little trouble with this section. If you can handle Destroyer you're more than ready. There was minimal calculation. Bootcamp was also pretty accurate here. This was refreshing after what I thought was a shaky start with Bio. CHAD is great for chem!!! I watched once the week before my exam, huge help. I recommend watching Chad on fastplay so you can really optimize your time because sometimes it can be a bit slow.

Orgo (29) - Again I flew through this section because of how extensive destroyer was preparing me. Very basic reactions (aldol, diels alder, SN2, E2), which is most acidic hydrogen, which is longest bond, separation techniques, etc. Bootcamp and destroyer are great. Crack Dat isn't as rough for this section as it is for bio and GC. Destroyer is more than what you need but it's worth it. I finished science with 35 minutes remaining and had plenty of time to crack my skull over those 6 or so bio Qs. Again check out Chad for orgo, he's an unbelievable teacher and manages to make every single concept way more understandable.

I'm ecstatic that I can finally relax and try to relearn social skills!! But for those of you still studying, keep plugging away, everything on the DAT can be mastered in less time than you may think. You'll really just wake up one morning and realize, wait, I can actually do the PAT. It was alien to me for weeks, and then it sort of just clicked.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have, ask away!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Amazing scores!!!! Congrats :). When did you start to study for the DAT and how many hours did you put in per day would you say?

Amazing scores GOOD JOB! Any tips on HNMR? You didn't get any plant questions did you or was it geared towards taxonomy/physio/genetics?

Members don't see this ad :)
Amazing scores, Congrats. What would you say about the difficulty of bootcamp compared to the actual DAT?

Very good scores..... very disciplined, well organized. I would recommend working on your hand dexterity since you seem to excel academically. Try to find a part time as a dental assistant or dental lab technician to get the hand on experience for the first year, and also to have an idea of materials used in the intro of DS.

Amazing scores!!!! Congrats :). When did you start to study for the DAT and how many hours did you put in per day would you say?

I started studying full time after my semester ended in the middle of May until July. I studied every day in my local library for around 5-6 hours w/ breaks. I definitely had major psychological ups and downs where there were times I felt I was being super productive and others where I would go home really disappointed at how little I had done. I don't think I needed this much time, but it helped boost my confidence.

Reactions: 1 users
Very good scores..... very disciplined, well organized. I would recommend working on your hand dexterity since you seem to excel academically. Try to find a part time as a dental assistant or dental lab technician to get the hand on experience for the first year, and also to have an idea of materials used in the intro of DS.

Thank you! I actually have been working for quite a while at a Craniofacial Regeneration lab doing many hands-on experiments/techniques, and have been published (working on our second publication now). I have also been a dental shadow, but I would agree my strengths are certainly academic.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I actually have been working for quite a while at a Craniofacial Regeneration lab doing many hands-on experiments/techniques, and have been published (working on our second publication now). I have also been a dental shadow, but I would agree my strengths are certainly academic.

Thats awesome...... What type of work is produced there? Craniofacial Regeneration lab . ?

DO you mean prosthetics?

Great scores do you have any tips for most acidic hydrogen?

EXAMINE THE ANION is key. Once you remove that hydrogen an anion is formed. Examine whether that lone pair of electrons is stabilized by resonance as in the case of carboxy acids. The one I got was very basic, nothing tricky

Amazing scores, Congrats. What would you say about the difficulty of bootcamp compared to the actual DAT?

I would say bootcamp is pretty accurate with the sciences and with reading. PAT is too hard on bootcamp but it is still a must-do study material, because unfortunately CDP WILL NOT suffice. Math on bootcamp is too hard, I don't even think it is necessarily worth doing

Members don't see this ad :)
it focuses on tooth regeneration, tissue engineering, stem cell therapies etc

Impressive...... please don't create ways to prevent cavities and alveolar tooth regeneration.... then you'll make me want to change my career.

I would say bootcamp is pretty accurate with the sciences and with reading. PAT is too hard on bootcamp but it is still a must-do study material, because unfortunately CDP WILL NOT suffice. Math on bootcamp is too hard, I don't even think it is necessarily worth doing
On the real test, was there a lot of search and destroy or a lot of inference questions like BC has?

On the real test, was there a lot of search and destroy or a lot of inference questions like BC has?

WAY more search and destroy. I had just a single question that asked first statement true/false second statement true/false but that was a really simple question. Ultimately the reading is not actually like bootcamp in that regard but bootcamp is still worthwhile for improving your timing and comprehension. But I found actual DAT to be easier because of all the S&D.

Also, in terms of Crack Dat reading, the main problem is that the questions are asked in the order that it appears in the passage, which is NOT how the actual DAT tests. On the actual DAT you will need to do more in depth searching and scrolling. Hope that helps

Cool, yeah I got a 19 on my first reading BC test and then a 17 on the second one :s. I am nervous with these scores... I'll be taking the third one today.

Edit: Just took the third BC and got a 23 (41/50). Weird range of scores.

Last edited:
#clutch Nice scores man. I'm doing the same exact thing and hopefully I can get similar results

Thanks for the info, I'm planning on taking my DAT in the next couple of months and hope I can do as well as you!

Amazing scores GOOD JOB! Any tips on HNMR? You didn't get any plant questions did you or was it geared towards taxonomy/physio/genetics?

Surprisingly I didn't get any HNMR questions. I don't recall getting plant questions but there was a little bit of taxonomy, but mostly physio/genetics/development etc. For HNMR just go with the neighboring carbon. However many hydrogens that carbon has, there should be one more peak. Make sure you know aldehyde is at 9-10, and benzene is at 7.

:eek:
With there scores you need to retake :p
Just kidding. Best scores I've seen in a while.
Congrats

Some pretty unbelievable scores there....wow...congrats! thanks for the in depth breakdown. Currently using destroyer, math destroyer, kbb and some old textbooks!

some crazy scores! seriously set the bar way too damn high! good luck on applying to schools. however I don't think you will need it...