DAT Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MavsFan1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm gonna make this as quick and short as possible, since you guys helped me out so much!

22 AA
22 TS (All sciences 22)
22 PAT
24 Reading
21 Math

Study Plan: 3 Months, followed bootcamps schedule but didn't study on the weekends. I would say I averaged about 4 hours a day for the 10 weeks (was on vacation for two)

What I used:
Destroyer: Ochem and Chem are atleast 2-3x harder than what you'll see on the actual but if you have time go through it. Biology and math destroyer are definitely good and has a lot of good information in it!

Bootcamp: I'll get into this below, but most of the sections were good while a couple things were a bit off!
(I took the sciences test twice, so my average isn't relevant. But for QR and Reading I was at a 21, while PAT was a 20!)

Qvault: Chemistry (avg 23): Most like the real test, if you do well on this you're ready!
Biology: Definitely harder than the actual, averaged an 18 on the first go through!

Topscore: People give this crap, but the science reading sections/ochem/chem are pretty spot on! (AAs were 18,20, and 21) Definitely the best product to find out where you're at.

Chads: Good refresher and cheap!

Feralis Notes: Good amount of information, dense but definitely hits the marks

Genius: Pretty good product! Did only the sciences completely (averaged a 20,21,21 for the sciences)

2009: AA was 20 but that was cause math and reading were super hard. Also, some mistakes in the test which could cause problems when computing your AA! Use it to learn more than anything else

Real test:
Biology: Man, I thought this was gonna be rough because I hate memorizing things and marked about ten questions the first time through. Went through it again and realized it really wasn't that bad
BC most representative

Chems: Thought I scored higher on both, but I didn't :( Probably made some dumb mistakes! Go through it slowly and make sure you don't make dumb calculation mistakes or mess up the reactions/ products and you should be good!
Topscore most representative

PAT: Keyholes: this is one of my problems with BC, the test makers have terrible proportions and all the stuff you look for in BC wasn't there. I got a few rocks but I just guessed and hoped for the best haha
TFE: Used to hate this, but BC helps with visualizing. Not hard at all on the real test
Angles: BC's angles are waaaaaaaay too hard haha, actual not bad at all
Last 3 Sections: Not hard and comparable to BC!
2009 ADA most representative

RC: This the other place where I think BC misses the mark, too many hard questions for their tests! My test had 49 S&D questions and the passages were pretty interesting and short too
Topscore most representative

QR: Not bad at all, calculator is awesome. Abuse it!
QR in back of destroyer most representative

Overall, looking back, I would still use all of the same products because you never know what the test takers will throw at you. But make sure you don't get discouraged, the real test flew by and at the end, "I was like this is it?" Haha let me know if you have any questions!

Quick question for you guys, I should be fine for TX schools right? I apply in June and am a rising junior :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Fantastic breakdown. All your hard work paid off. How long did you study for? What was your rc strategy cause you did great on that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Fantastic breakdown. All your hard work paid off. How long did you study for? What was your rc strategy cause you did great on that.

I ended up studying for about ten weeks, so it wasn't a crazy amount!
For RC I would read the first question and then start reading through the article to try to find the answer. I would say its mainly S&D, but sometimes I would find myself reading the article if it was a difficult topic