DAT BREAKDOWN!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allthingsteeth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow SDNer's,
I've been waiting quite a while to write one of these. Despite not getting what I was hoping for, SDN has been one of the most helpful resources and I figured it was only fair to give back.

1st-2nd
PAT: 16- 17
QR: 15-19
RC: 19-19
BIO: 17-22
GC: 23-20
OC: 18-16

Firstly, I would like to say that my test seemed to be the needle in the haystack. One of those super funky, nowhere near straight forward, strangely worded, and incredibly hard versions. After my first attempt, I dug into bio since it was my weakest and this time around, I felt as if it was my strongest. But even as I was doing the bio section, I felt as if I knew nothing. How I pulled off a 22 is beyond me. It was slightly disappointing seeing the drop in my GC seeing how well prepared for GC I was but yet again, GC was based on incredibly hard conceptual questions. And as for orgo, this section broke my heart. I took @orgoman22 courses and studied all his material and this section blew me out of the water. Now, don't get me wrong. @orgoman22 IS A SCIENCE/DAT GOD. His work, courses, lectures, notes are absolutely indispensable. His Chemistry Destroyer saved my life. In my case, either I was not prepared enough for orgo or just had less than ideal luck on this particular version. With all this being said, I am not sure if applying with a 16 in OC even makes sense being a 2nd time test taker.

Despite all of this still being in the air, I would like to thank @orgoman22 and Nancy Steen. You guys are truly phenomenal. Nothing can ever replicate or replace what you do for you students, how much effort you put into shaping the dentists of the future, and how amazing your work is. Dr. Romano taught me the bulk of everything I know and for that I will always be thankful.

Shoutout to @FeralisExtremum. Your notes were my bible during this.
Shoutout to @Ari Rezaei at Bootcamp. Amazing program, so helpful, worth it, and a great representation of the actual test.

To students who are still early in their college career but absolutely know dentistry is the path you want to take: Do things the right way. By the right way, I mean devote yourself to this path early on to make the whole application process easier when it comes time. Don't play games with academics like I did. It ends up SUCKING. Especially if you know you are capable and you just didn't apply yourself when it was necessary. Try, work hard, it will pay off.

To the students who are currently in the middle of studying for this exam: KEEP GOING. The majority of your study days will be exhausting and overwhelming and frustrating and a lot of times you are going to feel beneath yourself. But that's because you are trying to teach yourself things that ARE NOT A WALK IN THE PARK TO LEARN. The test isn't a measure of the things you are good at individually. It's a measure of how good you can become at hard topics such as bio, orgo, chem, etc. with proper preparation.
And even though I am still unsure of my path and it may seem hypocritical, DON'T GIVE UP.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hey! I really appreciate your breakdown and sharing your experience with us. You might be disappointed with your oc score but I think it's amazing that all of your other scores have dramatically improved (especially bio)!!! Congratulations. Also, I love your open mindset and a heart willing to keep moving forward. I think those are some great characteristics to have that will make you a great dentist in the future. Goodluck! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hello Fellow SDNer's,
I've been waiting quite a while to write one of these. Despite not getting what I was hoping for, SDN has been one of the most helpful resources and I figured it was only fair to give back.

1st-2nd
PAT: 16- 17
QR: 15-19
RC: 19-19
BIO: 17-22
GC: 23-20
OC: 18-16

Firstly I would like to say that my test seemed to be the needle in the haystack. One of those super funky, nowhere near straight forward, strangely worded, and incredibly hard versions. After my first attempt, I dug into bio since it was my weakest and this time around, I felt as if it was my strongest. But even as I was doing the bio section, I felt as if I knew nothing. How I pulled off a 22 is beyond me. It was slightly disappointing seeing the drop in my GC seeing how well prepared for GC I was but yet again, GC was based on incredibly hard conceptual questions. And as for orgo, this section broke my heart. I took @orgoman22 courses and studied all his material and this section blew me out of the water. Now, don't get me wrong. @orgoman22 IS A SCIENCE/DAT GOD. His work, courses, lectures, notes are absolutely indispensable. His Chemistry Destroyer saved my life. In my case, either I was not prepared enough for orgo or just had less than ideal luck on this particular version. With all this being said, I am not sure if applying with a 16 in OC even makes sense being a 2nd time test taker.

Despite all of this still being in the air, I would like to thank @orgoman22 and Nancy Steen. You guys are truly phenomenal. Nothing can ever replicate or replace what you do for you students, how much effort you put into shaping the dentists of the future, and how amazing your work is. Dr. Romano taught me the bulk of everything I know and for that I will always be thankful.

Shoutout to @FeralisExtremum. Your notes were my bible during this.
Shoutout to @Ari Rezaei at Bootcamp. Amazing program, so helpful, worth it, and a great representation of the actual test.

To students who are still early in their college career but absolutely know dentistry is the path you want to take: Do things the right way. By the right way, I mean devote yourself to this path early on to make the whole application process easier when it comes time. Don't play games with academics like I did. It ends up SUCKING. Especially if you know you are capable and you just didn't apply yourself when it was necessary. Try, work hard, it will pay off.

To the students who are currently in the middle of studying for this exam: KEEP GOING. The majority of your study days will be exhausting and overwhelming and frustrating and a lot of times you are going to feel beneath yourself. But that's because you are trying to teach yourself things that ARE NOT A WALK IN THE PARK TO LEARN. The test isn't a measure of the things you are good at individually. It's a measure of how good you can become at hard topics such as bio, orgo, chem, etc. with proper preparation.
And even though I am still unsure of my path and it may seem hypocritical, DON'T GIVE UP.
You did great man! I have a similar journey. Never give up and good thing will come.

Reactions: 3 users