DAT Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaylorDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, first off, that thing was much harder than I anticipated. I thought I did poorly, but ending up doing pretty kick ass i think. So don't feel discouraged when your taking the test, because you could just be thinking your doing bad.

My scores are 22TS, 22AA, 22PAT.

Bio: 20 (91.8%) I thought I did good in this section. For the most part it was a joke it was so easy. However, you get the random question that you probably know nothing about/couldn't feesibly have studied and those bring your score down. (theres only like maybe 3 random questions, so dont freak). But I think most people are bio majors and tend to do well in this section, making it hard to score exceptionally high. I used kaplan which helped direct my studying of what subjects to look more in depth for and used cliffs AP bio also (skipping basically the whole plants section, and some other junk).

Chem: 24 (98.0%) This section should be your best since it is straightforward and you know what to expect. I think kaplan is good for most of the theoretical stuff if you supplement with your text book. Also Destroyer was great for this section. I didn't like destroyer for much else besides QR, it was good there. But for OC and BIO I didn't use it.

OChem: 21 (89.7%) I knew all the theory and reactions from the kaplan BB and thought "o chem as a second language" books were great to review theory and basics. I glanced throught the textbook, but mine was too dense and presently too many confusing complications for reactions. Basically I would know all the reactions and important things about them (like markovnikov or syn addition, or whatever). Also know general theory and very basic stuff about spectroscopy. You most likely will get a COOH group or carbonyl or something very recognizable, no obscure tricks here.

PAT: 22 (93.8) Crack DAT PAT. Use it. The end. Don't believe kaplans little made-for-4th-graders hold punches. On the real test they have some crazy weird folds just like crack DAT PAT. I don't know how much I would study this one. I only did like 4 practice tests, two of which were crack dat pat. If i were you I would buy the 5 test pack, 10 if you feel like and will do them, and then just do them. I got about the same grade on the real thing as I was getting on CDP, but if was harder/easier in different areas.

RC: 22 (93.2%) I took two practice tests to get a feel for this section, but I scored well (extremely surprised) and didn't really study anything for this section.

QR: 22 (98.7%) Took some practice tests and assumed I would be fine on this section, but the real thing was OMG WAY harder than I expected. I didn't even know how to do like 2 of the problems and was stressing about many of the answers, but ended up with the 22. I though destroyer was great to see what type of problems you need to learn how to do fast. (like permutations and the rate problem things for me).

Overall I thought the test was hard, it was tiring; so be prepared for that. As far as what to study I would start with Kaplan BB, learn it and know it well! Then supplement that with textbooks to understand things better, and Cliffs BIO/ochem as a second language/ whatever books work for you to help you learn the concepts. (Cuz it doesn't matter how long or what you study, it matters how well you know the material)

I did this rather quick, so disregard anything that sounds ******ed lol. Post if you have any questions.:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, congratulations on an amazing score! You're set! Btw, how much time did you put into studying for this exam?

Great work! Solid. Did you get a lot of word problems for QR? like how many? And for PAT, I am getting 18 in all the achiver PATs.. Do you think I still need to get CDP? I just don't want to put my time/money in it unless it's really necessary because I don't have too much time..

Great job. Your scores looks really great. how long did you study?

In the organic section, was there anything about DNA, sucrose, etc? I suppose these kinds of biochem questions are in the last two chapters of my ochem book and we didn't cover them in class.

Did you have a ton of calculations in gen chem? I am worried about these because I get caught up in them and they stress me out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its hard to say how much time I put in. Some people say how they studied this many hours per day for 3 months, but I had long breaks where I did no studying and then intense studying sessions. I guess I started studying three months ago, but didn't study for at least one of those months. Basically, I don't think studying for a long time really helps you because you forget a lot of the info. Study like your cramming for a final for each of the three science sections. Then review and study as often as you can until your test date.

I probably studied 2-3 hours a day because I work fulltime. Although some weekends I would study a lot more, some not.

As far as Achiever PAT, i don't really know. I didn't take any PAT tests except the one in the kaplan BB and CDP. Personally I would buy the CDP. I think it is hands down the best and only thing to use for CDP. People argue about cliffs vs barrons, destroyer vs w/e, but CDP is definantely the only way to go for the PAT section. I mean, its not like its the kaplan course for 1400, its not really that much.

Great job. Your scores looks really great. how long did you study?

In the organic section, was there anything about DNA, sucrose, etc? I suppose these kinds of biochem questions are in the last two chapters of my ochem book and we didn't cover them in class.

Did you have a ton of calculations in gen chem? I am worried about these because I get caught up in them and they stress me out.

I can't say exactly what I had on the test. I would know those sections vaguely, but wouldn't waste time on them.

For gen chem there were many calculations, what constitutes a lot, im not sure. I would make sure you know how to do each kind of gen chem problem, then you will be glad for the calculations b/c you definantely know how to do them. I did just remember that more questions than I expected were simply how you would set up the calculations (like A) 234/34*52 - 4*789), so make sure you check that before you start working on the problem. I did that a few times.

To the other poster, QR did have a lot of word problems I believe. I tihink thats what made it so hard is that you have like 40 seconds to THINK of how to do the problem and then do it.

Great scores and great breakdown. What medium did you use to take practice tests and how many full-lengths did you take before you felt ready? Thanks!

I took top score tests and part of achiever. I didn't ever take a full length test but just did all the sections. My TS was 98.3% and my AA was 98.9%.

Those are some tight scores! Good job, my man! Say, did you have to use any of those permutations from destroyer on the real thing?

Yeah I think I used the permutation/ combination formulas a few times. If I did the problem right, I don't know. Haha