indentition

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
California
Status
Hey everyone I'm kinda new here, been lurking around SDN while procrastinating to study, hahaha...

Finally finished my DAT:

PA: 18 :(
QR: 21
RC: 20
Bio: 25
GC: 20 :(
OC: 29 :)
TS: 23
AA: 23

Well... I am not on my computer at home right now(vacation after the DAT's), I can post topscore scores later... I found topscore to be the most accurate benchmark, except for biology. Kaplan's Bluebook test were a little inflated for me, except ochem. During the RC... I felt like I was staring off sometimes into the screen, and the PAT was just brutal, especially the angles. The pixelation of the screen made it a bit harder to discern between angles.

dss1790

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2004
Status
what was your average TS score approximately for topscore?

ConfusedOne

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
Status
congrats! Great scores, especially ochem. Any tips on how to get 100% on it?

About the Ads
OP
I

indentition

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
California
Status
My Average TS in topscore was 20. However, I scored consistently high on ochem, but bio and gchem seem switched in my case, where I did better on DAT bio(worse in topscore), worse on gchem(better in Topscore).

My advice for ochem is do constant assessment(i.e testing) of yourself and understanding what you don't know. If you can visualize and recite all the concepts of ochem while in the shower or a relaxed environment, you're good to go! One last thing, don't try to memorize ochem, understanding is much more helpful.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
indentition said:
Hey everyone I'm kinda new here, been lurking around SDN while procrastinating to study, hahaha...

Finally finished my DAT:

PA: 18 :(
QR: 21
RC: 20
Bio: 25
GC: 20 :(
OC: 29 :)
TS: 23
AA: 23

Well... I am not on my computer at home right now(vacation after the DAT's), I can post topscore scores later... I found topscore to be the most accurate benchmark, except for biology. Kaplan's Bluebook test were a little inflated for me, except ochem. During the RC... I felt like I was staring off sometimes into the screen, and the PAT was just brutal, especially the angles. The pixelation of the screen made it a bit harder to discern between angles.
Isn't OC supposed to be much harder than GC?
I haven't even taken the OC course in university, any advice?

OP
I

indentition

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
California
Status
Personally, I did not like the format of the gchem question. I'm good at gchem, but I have my own methods to coming up with the answers, instead of how they do the answers that are not completely calculated. I would have preferred that they have the answers instead of the setup leading to the answer.

Ochem is really straightforward -- just like perceiving something from a new perspective. Everyone learns their own way, but I think the professor you get really matters. My advice to you for ochem. Study early, understand what goes on and how everything links together. Ochem is almost like drawing arrows. Just draw draw draw... I doodled ochem when I was bored in physics sometimes.

thehipster

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
Status
Dental Student
indentition said:
Personally, I did not like the format of the gchem question. I'm good at gchem, but I have my own methods to coming up with the answers, instead of how they do the answers that are not completely calculated. I would have preferred that they have the answers instead of the setup leading to the answer.

Ochem is really straightforward -- just like perceiving something from a new perspective. Everyone learns their own way, but I think the professor you get really matters. My advice to you for ochem. Study early, understand what goes on and how everything links together. Ochem is almost like drawing arrows. Just draw draw draw... I doodled ochem when I was bored in physics sometimes.

I agree with ochem being more straightforward. Ochem is easier to learn the second time around compared to gen chem. Do well in organic chem in school and try to understand what's going on and orgo on the DAT won't be too bad. I felt it was one of the easiest sections on the DAT.

About the Ads