Dat Destroyer 2017 Bio #233

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veni vidi vicii

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A particular triplet of bases in a DNA coding sequence is GGA. The anticodon on the tRNA that binds the mRNA codon is ___? GGA is the answer.

The tRNA anticodon is the same as the DNA template strand and NOT the coding strand.
So if the coding strand is GGA, then template strand is CCT, so mRNA is GGA, and tRNA would be CCU right?
@orgoman22

Any help?

Members don't see this ad.

A particular triplet of bases in a DNA coding sequence is GGA. The anticodon on the tRNA that binds the mRNA codon is ___? GGA is the answer.

The tRNA anticodon is the same as the DNA template strand and NOT the coding strand.
So if the coding strand is GGA, then template strand is CCT, so mRNA is GGA, and tRNA would be CCU right?
@orgoman22

Any help?
Yes, if you are referring to tRNA it should have the same sequence as the template strand

The DNA template is GGA. Thinking about the central dogma, its transcription, then translation. First with transcription, you make an mRNA using the template DNA strand. This will yield an mRNA that reads CCU. Then you need to move onto translation. The tRNA anticodon will bind onto this mRNA CCU. Therefore, the anticodon of the tRNA has to be GGA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I get what you are asking now, yeah I misread. If the coding sequence is GGA, the template strand should be CCU. Then the mRNA created should be GGA and the anticodon of the tRNA should be CCU. Your reasoning seems correct to me.

Ok. The question presumes the coding sequence located on the template strand. Therefore, mRNA sequence should be CCU and then the tRNA anticodon sequence should be complementary to that, which is GGA.
Hope this helps.

coding=! template strand

5"coding 3"
3" template 5"
5" mRNA 3'

notice coding is the same as the mRNA, with the exception of uracil replacing thymine.