DAT Destroyer Bio Question #429

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princecoup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i had a question on #429 in dat destroyer bio (2016).

according to the answer key, it says that the statement "A greater number of polypeptides can be made with 20 different amino acids than polysaccharides" is false.

they said that polysaccharides offer more variety than polypeptides, but I always learned that proteins are the most diverse among the four macromolecules in terms of structure due to the different combinations of 20 amino acids and the protein's 1°, 2°, 3°, and 4° structures.

if we're talking about in terms of structural variation, i can kinda see why then more polysaccharides can be made since the book also mentioned branched vs. linear, alpha vs. beta sugars - but i'm still confused about proteins being the most abundant and diverse macromolecule.

can anyone help clarify this? thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, i had a question on #429 in dat destroyer bio (2016).

according to the answer key, it says that the statement "A greater number of polypeptides can be made with 20 different amino acids than polysaccharides" is false.

they said that polysaccharides offer more variety than polypeptides, but I always learned that proteins are the most diverse among the four macromolecules in terms of structure due to the different combinations of 20 amino acids and the protein's 1°, 2°, 3°, and 4° structures.

if we're talking about in terms of structural variation, i can kinda see why then more polysaccharides can be made since the book also mentioned branched vs. linear, alpha vs. beta sugars - but i'm still confused about proteins being the most abundant and diverse macromolecule.
:)

You are correct in your thinking. However, proteins are more diverse because they form a variety of three dimensional structures which perform many functions. Proteins carry out more processes than carbohydrates.
Carbohydrates, can form a variety of differently oriented bonds while making a polymer.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users