DAT Destroyer - Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRod17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are you guy's opinions on the biology portion of the Destroyer? I've gone through about 100 questions and have only gotten around half right, and many of those are lucky guesses/noticing the "all of above" trend. Much of the material seems ridiculously detailed. I know Destroyer is more difficult than the actual exam, but what's the best way to get use of the Destroyer bio problems when much of it seems like a foreign language? I have already read through Cliff's once and around half of the KBB bio chapters.

Members don't see this ad.

What are you guy's opinions on the biology portion of the Destroyer? I've gone through about 100 questions and have only gotten around half right, and many of those are lucky guesses/noticing the "all of above" trend. Much of the material seems ridiculously detailed. I know Destroyer is more difficult than the actual exam, but what's the best way to get use of the Destroyer bio problems when much of it seems like a foreign language? I have already read through Cliff's once and around half of the KBB bio chapters.

The purpose of destroyer is to get you familiar with the topics that you may see on the DAT. When I did destroyer, I got very few questions right. For every question I didn't know, I googled it or looked it up in a textbook and made index cards. Some of the questions do show up.

I got 70-80% overall on Destroyer bio the first tine through. Some days it was higher or lower because some topics were kind of grouped.

I made a mark on my answer sheet if it was a topic I wanted to review, and after my test I looked through those answers mire carefully and did online research if needed. I added those details to my notes for future review.

If there was a question where I was stuck between two, I didn't want to convince myself of the wrong answer, so for just those questions I looked at the answer immediately and added to my notes.

Also, cliffs make an ap bio book that is just 5 practice exams. It's pretty cheap and good review. You can get it on the kindle app too so it's very convenient.

Forgot a few things.

I DON'T think the Destroyer is too broad in topic, so don't ignore any facts/subtleties just because you think they are esoteric--they might show up on your test and then you will be kicking yourself.

I DO think the Destroyer question setup is too difficult. It's the only study source I saw that has tricky questions like 'Which is true/false?' where one option is 'two of the above' and another is 'all of the above.'

I think it's a great resource, but definitely couple it with dat qvaults bio if you can afford it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Destroyer is tough, but it will prepare you well. You never know what you might see on the test. If you study the hard stuff, then you are ready for it all, the difficult questions and the easy ones.

It's stressing me out how I'm getting barely any questions right from purely my own knowledge.