DAT destroyer chem problem 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ineed2getin123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am am not understanding number 2 in the gen chem section of 2019 destroyer. i am having trouble understanding "highest freezing point" and " lowest freezing point"...in this question it is asking for lowest freezing point...doesnt it mean the ones that changes the most? I tried looking back on my notes. and rewatching chad's video on this. he says the one that is highest freezing point is the one that changes the least and the one with the lowest freezing point is the one that changes the most...but here in destroyer it says the opposite. Here its saying that the least molecular weight has the lowest freezing point? someone please help clarify

Members don't see this ad.

I am am not understanding number 2 in the gen chem section of 2019 destroyer. i am having trouble understanding "highest freezing point" and " lowest freezing point"...in this question it is asking for lowest freezing point...doesnt it mean the ones that changes the most? I tried looking back on my notes. and rewatching chad's video on this. he says the one that is highest freezing point is the one that changes the least and the one with the lowest freezing point is the one that changes the most...but here in destroyer it says the opposite. Here its saying that the least molecular weight has the lowest freezing point? someone please help clarify
This is testing your ability to understand the concept of a colligative property. These are properties that depend on the number of particles. The more particles that you have, 4 things happen......1. Boiling point increases 2) Osmotic pressure increases 3. Vapor pressure decreases 4. Freezing point decreases If you had 12 grams of each of the compounds presented, we need to divide by their molecular masses to get the MOLES.. Remember....as you divide by a large number, the result gives a smaller value., and as we divide by a smaller number, we get a larger value. Choice C has the smaller mass, hence will give a result with the larger amount of moles. Consequently, more moles, the LOWER will be the freezing point.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano.