DAT Destroyer gen chem #182

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoGreenAndFloss

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is false?
a) HBrO4 is stronger acid than HBrO2
b) P4O10 is an acidic oxide
c) HF contains the most electronegative element, thus HF will ionize 100%
d) I- is a weak base
e) All of these are true

I understand why the answer to this is C, however I was under the impression that the conjugate base of strong acids such as HI can't even be considered a base since they are so stable. So moving forward should I consider conjugate bases of a strong acid a weak base? When a question asks something like how is pH affected by NaI the answer would be no affect, correct? So doesn't that mean I- can't even be considered a base?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, the conjugate base of a strong acid is a weak base. When simply trying to identify something as an acid/base/conjugate acid/conjugate base
rely on the definitions.

I- can be defined to be a Lewis base because a Lewis base is anything that can donate a pair on nonbonding electrons.
One organic chemistry reaction you need to be familiar with for the DAT is the reaction of an alcohol with H-X to form an alkyl halide.
I- in that reaction from H-I acts as a Lewis base.

For the purposes of the DAT, you can assume that putting a salt that forms from the reaction of a strong acid and
strong base in water will not change the pH. These salts will not undergo hydrolysis with water.

I will mention in real life it's more complicated, especially if your solution is not neutral. So if ever in a lab setting,
and you have an acidic or basic solution, don't be suprised if addition of NaCl/NaI/etc alters the pH. Terms like
activity coefficients and ionic strength which are taught in pchem or chemical thermodynamics courses are coming into play
in that situation.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, the conjugate base of a strong acid is a weak base. When simply trying to identify something as an acid/base/conjugate acid/conjugate base
rely on the definitions.

I- can be defined to be a Lewis base because a Lewis base is anything that can donate a pair on nonbonding electrons.
One organic chemistry reaction you need to be familiar with for the DAT is the reaction of an alcohol with H-X to form an alkyl halide.
I- in that reaction from H-I acts as a Lewis base.

For the purposes of the DAT, you can assume that putting a salt that forms from the reaction of a strong acid and
strong base in water will not change the pH. These salts will not undergo hydrolysis with water.

I will mention in real life it's more complicated, especially if your solution is not neutral. So if ever in a lab setting,
and you have an acidic or basic solution, don't be suprised if addition of NaCl/NaI/etc alters the pH. Terms like
activity coefficients and ionic strength which are taught in pchem or chemical thermodynamics courses are coming into play
in that situation.

Thanks! I kind of figured that was the case but needed a little extra clarification. I appreciate the extra details.