DAT Destroyer Gen chem #66

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stayinspired

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick Question.

#66. Consider a 15g sample of butane. How many Carbon Atoms are contained in this sample?

Answer: 15g C4h10 *1Mole C4H10/58g C4H10 *6.022 *10^23 molecules C4H10/1 mole C4H10 *4 C atoms/ 1 molecules C4H10=6.22*10^23.

My question: What is the relevance of molecules to atoms. I thought they were the same. The reason my calculation was wrong is because I did not include 4 C atoms. Could someone explain why use molecules instead of atoms for the conversion.

Members don't see this ad.

AHH, this is the same thing that has been bothering me the most.
molecules are the entire compound. while an atom is the individual components of the molecules/compound. therefore you have to figure out how many molecules there are in 15g of the stuff. and then only you can know the total amount of its individual components (i.e the # atoms)
someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you. It kind of makes sense once I look at the equation. So basically I cant skip to Atoms from moles without involving the total amount of molecules?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick Question.

#66. Consider a 15g sample of butane. How many Carbon Atoms are contained in this sample?

Answer: 15g C4h10 *1Mole C4H10/58g C4H10 *6.022 *10^23 molecules C4H10/1 mole C4H10 *4 C atoms/ 1 molecules C4H10=6.22*10^23.

My question: What is the relevance of molecules to atoms. I thought they were the same. The reason my calculation was wrong is because I did not include 4 C atoms. Could someone explain why use molecules instead of atoms for the conversion.

I want you to review a MAJOR concept

Atoms make up a molecule. C4H10 represents 1 molecule of butane. This molecule contains 4 atoms of Carbon and 10 atoms of hydrogen. This is needed for the calculation because the last step necessitated this conversion factor.

Hope this helps..

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user
I want you to review a MAJOR concept

Atoms make up a molecule. C4H10 represents 1 molecule of butane. This molecule contains 4 atoms of Carbon and 10 atoms of hydrogen. This is needed for the calculation because the last step necessitated this conversion factor.

Hope this helps..

Dr. Romano
Hello Dr. Romano, so why do we use avogadros # in the conversion. can't we just say 1 mol of butane = 1 molecule (then 1 molecule = 4 carbon atoms) . Thank You.

Hello Dr. Romano, so why do we use avogadros # in the conversion. can't we just say 1 mol of butane = 1 molecule (then 1 molecule = 4 carbon atoms) . Thank You.

Not a chance. 1 mole of butane....or ANY substance contains 6.02 X 10 ex 23 particles.........1 mole of butane contains 6 X 10 ex 23 MOLECULES.......
I recommend the Raymond Chang text book to you for a quick review if these vital basics !

Reactions: 1 user
This molecule contains 4 atoms of Carbon and 10 atoms of hydrogen. This is needed for the calculation because the last step necessitated this conversion factor.
48.gif

Thank you Dr. Romano for such a great book and for helping us with these issues.
@orgomann22

I totally understand it more now.

also thank you to the others that replied really appreciate it.