DAT Destroyer OChemistry #235

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KyoPhan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
O CHem, #235

It shows an terminal diacids and then has an arrow with a "D" on top. The answer talks about the acid losing water when heated and it forms a cyclic anhydride. What exactly is "D"?

Members don't see this ad.

Deuterium is basically hydrogen right? In the answer, it doesn't mention anything about hydrogen or deuterium. All it says is that when heated, the dicarboxylic acid will lose water.

Few questions:
1) Is the D even needed for this reaction?

2) Are we suppose to assume that there's heat?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hmm, sorry I was looking for this problem I have the 2010 version so there's no 235 I had to hunt around for it. Its 220.

In mine it is heat or rather symbol for heat. Maybe when he was redoing it he wanted delta symbol but put D by accident.

I probably would've told you its a misprint right away if I bothered to read what you wrote. summer laziness I guess.

hmm, sorry I was looking for this problem I have the 2010 version so there's no 235 I had to hunt around for it. Its 220.

In mine it is heat or rather symbol for heat. Maybe when he was redoing it he wanted delta symbol but put D by accident.

I probably would've told you its a misprint right away if I bothered to read what you wrote. summer laziness I guess.
No problem. I probably should have scanned it right away.