DAT DESTROYER!!!!! study method.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illbirz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Get the book, even if u dont go through the questions just read the answers and highlight stuff you dont know. In my opinion its abridged version of any biology book you can get your hands on."

Open to criticisms. Who agrees and who doesn't? :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

"Get the book, even if u dont go through the questions just read the answers and highlight stuff you dont know. In my opinion its abridged version of any biology book you can get your hands on."

Open to criticisms. Who agrees and who doesn't? :cool:

Don't blindly memorize the answers in destroyer. The best method is to read about the topic the answer choice is from in either a text book, wikipedia, kaplan's book or AP Cliff's Bio.

Do all the questions, no reason not to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't blindly memorize the answers in destroyer. The best method is to read about the topic the answer choice is from in either a text book, wikipedia, kaplan's book or AP Cliff's Bio.

Do all the questions, no reason not to.

Agree no one should blindly memorize biology. I thought what they meant by reading and then highlighting the portions of the answer which they dont know, one can form a solid outline of which part of biology they are weaker in and can strengthen those sections by referring to wikipedia, Kaplan blue book or AP cliffs.

CAN any1 explain to me, why hemoglobin has a tendency to release O2 at low pH? is it because of CO2 forming to carbonic acid? Acid bringing the pH down, triggering a high presence of CO2 and O2 releasing?

Has to deal with the bohr effect.
CO2 + H2O -> H2CO3 -> H+ + HCO3-
Increase in CO2 leads to increase concentration of H+ and a lower pH.
Here is the equation for hemoglobin in the tissues
H+ + HBO2 -> HHb+ + O2

Now if you combine both reactions it is easier to see how the Bohr Effect affects hemoglobin transport.
In the tissues the equation is :
HbO2 + CO2 + H2O + H+ -> HHb+ + O2 + HCO3-
Using Le Chatlier's Principles: an increase in H+ causes a shift right. In other words hemoglobin releases more oxygen at lower pHs.

This is wonderful for the body because the pH of the tissues are more acidic than that of the lungs. This enables hemoglobin to unload oxygens at the tissue and bind oxygen at the lungs.

This also shows that the body is all about chemistry.

You were on the right track. I hope this helps you out.

Has to deal with the bohr effect.
CO2 + H2O -> H2CO3 -> H+ + HCO3-
Increase in CO2 leads to increase concentration of H+ and a lower pH.
Here is the equation for hemoglobin in the tissues
H+ + HBO2 -> HHb+ + O2

Now if you combine both reactions it is easier to see how the Bohr Effect affects hemoglobin transport.
In the tissues the equation is :
HbO2 + CO2 + H2O + H+ -> HHb+ + O2 + HCO3-
Using Le Chatlier's Principles: an increase in H+ causes a shift right. In other words hemoglobin releases more oxygen at lower pHs.

This is wonderful for the body because the pH of the tissues are more acidic than that of the lungs. This enables hemoglobin to unload oxygens at the tissue and bind oxygen at the lungs.

This also shows that the body is all about chemistry.

You were on the right track. I hope this helps you out.

Indeed it helped. Thank you...