DAT done 06/10/2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrutalViking

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody! I've been waiting for this day to post my score/breakdown on here. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions and helped me get through this. This is my first time taking the DAT and the last (I hope ^_^)
Scores as follows:
PAT: 20
QR: 19
RC: 18
Bio: 19
Chem: 19
Orgo: 21
TS: 19
AA: 19

Although I'm not exceptionally happy about my score, I am glad enough that I scored in the 19-range and all my scores were consistent.

Time spent: about a month

Material Used:
Kaplan course, Kaplan Blue Book and Kaplan's online practice and tests
CDP
TopScore (3 test version)
Chad's videos (1 month sub)

How I studied and how it compares to the real thing:
*PAT: Most of Kaplan's material here are too easy and thus I bought and used CDP which provided more challenging questions. One thing to mention, in the kaplan course, we were taught to use line counting method on TFE which was BS!!! I swear I was cursing Kaplan during my PAT. I have heard that line counting doesn't work on the real test but I was hoping it'll help me eliminate an answer choice or two (like I've done in CDP) but guess what? I wasn't able to eliminate a single answer choice in the TFE section. Not a single one.
*QR: I really didn't study much for this section aside from the practice tests I used. Not many geometry questions came up on the real thing. Mostly algebra (or so I remember). I learned to use the calculator during the test which helped a lot. DAT calculator is not bad (just a bit laggy sometimes)
*RC: Like QR, I only practiced this when I did practice tests. With this, it seems like it's all about timing and moving fast. I used the kaplan method of "mapping" the passage then answering the questions. I had three passages (one microbiology, another about philosophy and the third I don't remember). Like in my practice tests, I couldn't finish in time so I ended up mapping the first two and S&D on the third. It is important to note that the board and sharpie the center gave me were annoying as hell. The sharpie couldn't right straight, it was just miserable. I replaced the thing twice and still the same thing. Why can't we just use pens? what's the point of all this hassle?
*Bio: I pretty much went over Kaplan's Blue Book and took Kaplan's quizzes. Being a bio major, this score slapped me and made me its bitch. Seriously, I studied the most for this section and the question were from all over the place. Not a single question about digestion, not a single question about respiration, not a single question about mitosis/meiosis. Needless to say, I was pissed.
*Gchem: Watched Chad's videos/took notes/took his quizzes. There a lot less calculations and a lot more conceptual stuff. Again, I didn't expect it to turn out like this.
*Ochem: Went over Kaplan's book and did Kaplan's quizzes. Not as many reactions as I expected. There weren't any configuration questions nor any "identify if this is Sn2/Sn1/E1/E2".
*Kaplan's course, in my opinion is not worth it.
*Kaplan's quizzes and tests are worth it. CDP is worth it. TopScore is worth it. Chad's (If you have the time) is worth it.

Closing comment: I know my score isn't high or exceptional but this is not the reason I posted this. The reason is so people can see that not everyone makes 21+ on the DAT lol. That it is very possible to score average on here. Just do your thing and all will fall in place. For those who are taking the DAT soon, good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

niiice, they look like solid scores to me! i'm nervous about the marker and board, was it like a normal thick sharpie, or a dry-erase?

nope, it was the pointy type. Just make sure to put the cap on whenever you're done writing. That way it doesn't dry out.

Appreciate you posting your scores. It always seems like everyone here's scoring 23+. Anyway, what did you end up doing for TFE? that's the only method I know :-/ (I'm taking the Kaplan class too)

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent too much time on TFE about 15 minutes or so. What I ended up doing is tracking dotted and straight lines so they would make sense with the given sides. If there was a dent/angle/hole i would make sure that the other side has it too. But one thing is for sure, line counting does not work *_*