DAT done!!! 1/4/14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Words cannot describe how great it feels to be done! :banana:
I finished the test a couple days ago on January 4th, 2014.

Here's my scores:
PAT - 26 :D
QR - 19 :shrug:
RC - 22 :luck:
BIO - 22
GC - 23
OC - 24
TS - 23
AA - 22

I spent my entire summer and winter break studying for this test, and it was well worth it. I was so nervous the day before the test that I could not get any sleep! But, I wasn't tired at any point during the test because of how wound up I was. I drank 2 Redbulls right before I walked into Prometric and as soon as I sat down to take my test I had to pee so bad! I just held it until my break and raced to the bathroom, then drank another redbull that I stored in my locker hahahah

I was very shocked to see my 26 on PAT, and a little bummed about the 19 on QR, but overall I did very well! Needless to say, I walked out of Prometric with a big grin on my face! :D (It seems that most people walk out with a frown lol)

I was especially shocked about the 19 on QR because I had spent the previous 2 weeks studying exclusively for QR and PAT. I went through tests 1 through 9 of Math Destroyer and tests 1 through 4 of DAT Bootcamp. Also, I think my QR section was pretty tough, it was on the same level as Math Destroyer. I was expecting it to be easier! This was the only section where I didn't have time to look over my marked questions.

I was very lucky to get a 22 on RC, because I only took 3 of the practice tests on DAT Bootcamp and I was getting 18's. All I did was S&D, I got lucky that 9/10 questions were S&D! This was the section I was most worried about the night before the test.

I attribute my performance on the science sections to my A's in all of my pre-req classes, as well as CHAD'S VIDEOS!! I highly recommend chad's videos, they are the most important thing you need and they are CHEAP!!

This is the stuff I used to study for the DAT:

General Chemistry:
1) Chads Videos
2) DAT Destroyer (Went through only once)
3) DAT Bootcamp (Tests 1 through 3)

Organic Chemistry:
1) Chad's Videos

Biology:
1) Cliff's AP Biology (Went through only once)(very good for bio!)
3) Chad's Videos (not that good for bio)
4) DATBootcamp (Tests 1 through 4)
5) I took Cell & Molecular Bio and Human Physiology classes the quarter leading up to the DAT. ( I highly recommend doing this because it made the BIO section much easier)

PAT:
1) Crack The PAT (Tests 1 through 7)(I was averaging a 23)
2) DAT Bootcamp (Not that good for PAT)

Quantitative Reasoning:
1) MATH Destroyer (Tests 1 through 9)(HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!)

Reading Comprehension:
1) DAT Bootcamp (very good for RC and very representative)

Other:
1) DATquestionaday.com ( This site will e-mail you one practice question every morning and is great to keep you on your toes about the DAT)
2) 2009 ADA Practice DAT ( I took this 3 days before my test and I got a 21 AA/ 21TS / 28 PAT) ( The RC on this is the closest to how it will be on the real DAT)

I hope this is helpful to some of you! :)
Good luck to anyone taking the DAT soon! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome scores. You rocked the PAT section. Does Red Bull really help?

Awesome scores. You rocked the PAT section. Does Red Bull really help?

I don't think Red Bull really helped me that much, I only used it because I couldn't get any sleep the night before and I was very tired. It might have helped me on RC, because I was definitely reading faster and I might have been retaining things better. So, the only section it could have helped me on was RC.

Please i would love your advice
I have taken the DAT before, scored
bio - 15
gchem -19
ochem-18
RC- 18
QR-16
PAT 19

I have been studying for the last three weeks to retake but i just started with practice tests and i am doing horrible:
I did 2009 ADA and score
bio-20
gchem-21
ochem-15
should i cancel my test? if not any advice on what to cram this week?
i have an interview with Loma LInda University in two weeks

Do you think knowing the topic can hurt you in RC? Since you know the subject, you may rely on your knowledge, not necesserily on the information in the passage.

Please i would love your advice
I have taken the DAT before, scored
bio - 15
gchem -19
ochem-18
RC- 18
QR-16
PAT 19

I have been studying for the last three weeks to retake but i just started with practice tests and i am doing horrible:
I did 2009 ADA and score
bio-20
gchem-21
ochem-15
should i cancel my test? if not any advice on what to cram this week?
i have an interview with Loma LInda University in two weeks

I dont think cramming is gonna do much, but chad's videos are the best resource for GC and OC. Bio takes a very long time to prepare for.

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask why you thought bootcamp was bad for PAT? Was it just not representative of the real test?
Bootcamp was definitely not representative for PAT. The keyholes were way too hard, and so was the pattern folding. The angles were good though. The real DAT just like crack the PAT, except the angles are easier on the real DAT.

Do you think knowing the topic can hurt you in RC? Since you know the subject, you may rely on your knowledge, not necesserily on the information in the passage.
Honestly, I didn't know any of the topics from any practice RC or the real DAT. I just read the questions first, answered the S&D, then answered the tone/complex questions. You DEFINITELY should not rely on your knowledge, because the way they word some of the questions is specific to the article.

Thanks for replying! So you mentioned you studied a lot for QR 2 weeks before your test....did Math Destroyer cover all the types of problems you saw on your test? I'm just wondering if I should use any other resource for QR. Thanks again!

Thanks for replying! So you mentioned you studied a lot for QR 2 weeks before your test....did Math Destroyer cover all the types of problems you saw on your test? I'm just wondering if I should use any other resource for QR. Thanks again!
Math Destroyer covered everything just fine. Part of my problem was that I didn't memorize the unit circle. They should have put that in the book, because it's critical that you know the unit circle to answer some of the trig questions. Also, I never got good at simplifying trig expressions. I think I had problems with trig because in my college trig class, we were allowed to use formula sheets on the exams lol.

lol no worries, you still did amazing! So a lot of people say destroyer is overkill...you did amazing in the sciences so if you had to pick between chad's, destroyer, or bootcamp, which resource do you think I should study the most for the highest yield score?

lol no worries, you still did amazing! So a lot of people say destroyer is overkill...you did amazing in the sciences so if you had to pick between chad's, destroyer, or bootcamp, which resource do you think I should study the most for the highest yield score?
I wouldn't say that destroyer was overkill, it just wasn't as high yield as other sources. Chad's is by far the highest yield for GC and OC. Don't waste your time with Chad's Bio videos though (low yield IMO). Destroyer may be the best for bio.

Alright sounds good! Last question, what do you think you missed on the GC/OC sections? To get scores as high as yours you probably missed only 2-3 questions tops in those sections? I'm just trying to figure out what are the "harder" questions they ask because chad's quizzes seem too easy....and yet people say it's close to the real thing? :eek:

Alright sounds good! Last question, what do you think you missed on the GC/OC sections? To get scores as high as yours you probably missed only 2-3 questions tops in those sections? I'm just trying to figure out what are the "harder" questions they ask because chad's quizzes seem too easy....and yet people say it's close to the real thing? :eek:

I don't really remember the GC and OC sections that well, but the questions were pretty simple. Maybe a little harder than chad's, but not quite as hard as destroyer. I finished the science section with like 10 min left. The "hard" questions were probably the problem solving type ones.

Reactions: 1 user
Words cannot describe how great it feels to be done! :banana:
I finished the test a couple days ago on January 4th, 2014.

Here's my scores:
PAT - 26 :D
QR - 19 :shrug:
RC - 22 :luck:
BIO - 22
GC - 23
OC - 24
TS - 23
AA - 22

I spent my entire summer and winter break studying for this test, and it was well worth it. I was so nervous the day before the test that I could not get any sleep! But, I wasn't tired at any point during the test because of how wound up I was. I drank 2 Redbulls right before I walked into Prometric and as soon as I sat down to take my test I had to pee so bad! I just held it until my break and raced to the bathroom, then drank another redbull that I stored in my locker hahahah

I was very shocked to see my 26 on PAT, and a little bummed about the 19 on QR, but overall I did very well! Needless to say, I walked out of Prometric with a big grin on my face! :D (It seems that most people walk out with a frown lol)

I was especially shocked about the 19 on QR because I had spent the previous 2 weeks studying exclusively for QR and PAT. I went through tests 1 through 9 of Math Destroyer and tests 1 through 4 of DAT Bootcamp. Also, I think my QR section was pretty tough, it was on the same level as Math Destroyer. I was expecting it to be easier! This was the only section where I didn't have time to look over my marked questions.

I was very lucky to get a 22 on RC, because I only took 3 of the practice tests on DAT Bootcamp and I was getting 18's. All I did was S&D, I got lucky that 9/10 questions were S&D! This was the section I was most worried about the night before the test.

I attribute my performance on the science sections to my A's in all of my pre-req classes, as well as CHAD'S VIDEOS!! I highly recommend chad's videos, they are the most important thing you need and they are CHEAP!!

This is the stuff I used to study for the DAT:

General Chemistry:
1) Chads Videos

Organic Chemistry:
1) Chad's Videos

Biology:
1) Cliff's AP Biology (Went through only once)(very good for bio!)
3) Chad's Videos (not that good for bio)
4) DATBootcamp (Tests 1 through 4)
5) I took Cell & Molecular Bio and Human Physiology classes the quarter leading up to the DAT. ( I highly recommend doing this because it made the BIO section much easier)

PAT:
1) Crack The PAT (Tests 1 through 7)(I was averaging a 23)
2) DAT Bootcamp (Not that good for PAT)

Quantitative Reasoning:
1) MATH Destroyer (Tests 1 through 9)(HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!)

Reading Comprehension:
1) DAT Bootcamp (very good for RC and very representative)

Other:
1) DATquestionaday.com ( This site will e-mail you one practice question every morning and is great to keep you on your toes about the DAT)
2) 2009 ADA Practice DAT ( I took this 3 days before my test and I got a 21 AA/ 21TS / 28 PAT) ( The RC on this is the closest to how it will be on the real DAT)

I hope this is helpful to some of you! :)
Good luck to anyone taking the DAT soon! :thumbup:

That is SO AMAZING!!! I am taking my test next month however, I am so nervous because I feel as if I do not know enough. I have used the Barron DAT book, I have THE 2013 dat DESTROYER, KAPLAN DAT BOOK. I am currently taking classes while studying for this test mostly science classes. HELP ME PLEASE.

Were bio questions mainly physiology and Molecular Bio, or there were some ecology, evolution and plant bio questions?

That is SO AMAZING!!! I am taking my test next month however, I am so nervous because I feel as if I do not know enough. I have used the Barron DAT book, I have THE 2013 dat DESTROYER, KAPLAN DAT BOOK. I am currently taking classes while studying for this test mostly science classes. HELP ME PLEASE.
Make sure you watch chad's videos, because that will ensure you do well on OC & GC. Don't forget about RC and PAT, those are the most important sections.

Were bio questions mainly physiology and Molecular Bio, or there were some ecology, evolution and plant bio questions?
Yeah, they were mainly physio and cell/molecular bio. Only a handful of the other types. Just make sure you know Hardy Weinberg and basic ecology concepts.

May I ask what specific parts of physio? Things that are low yield like ear/eye or things like the kidney, heart, muscles, etc?

May I ask what specific parts of physio? Things that are low yield like ear/eye or things like the kidney, heart, muscles, etc?
I would study the endocrine system more, because I got a few very random questions asking about the small details. Definitely memorize EVERY hormone and its function. Also be sure to study spermatogenesis and oogenesis. Most of the bio questions were general concepts, but there were definitely a few hard/random ones that I honestly don't even remember reading about. I only got one eye question and surprisingly, nothing about digestion. But you should definitely understand digestion very well and all of the enzymes/secretions. I got a few questions about the heart & CV system, and a couple about bones. I don't think I got anything about muscles, but be prepared.

What section took most of your time to learn in well?
BIO took the longest to learn, especially because it was the only section that I had a separate book for. (Cliff's AP BIO)
The BIO section covers a larger breadth of information than the other sections.

I agree with you on the "grin" when you walk out of the center.
I really couldn't help but grinning like an evil after I got my score report.

I hope this is the case for everyone who takes the test, bc imho, the real test seems like it is easier than the material that we use to train ourselves, so most people seem to do slightly better than they think they deserve.

Either way, solid scores! I envy that PAT score because my PAT score is the lowest of my all.

BIO took the longest to learn, especially because it was the only section that I had a separate book for. (Cliff's AP BIO)
Yes. Bio is a lot. Maybe it is best to focus mainly on physio part and ecology? Were there any questions about plants?

What does S&D stand for ? I am currently practicing my reading comprehension but been doing badly.

S&D stands for Search & Destroy. Basically, you just read all of the questions, then skim quickly through the articles to find the keywords/answers.

Yes. Bio is a lot. Maybe it is best to focus mainly on physio part and ecology? Were there any questions about plants?
What do you think about Feralis notes?

What do you think about Feralis notes?
Feralis notes looks perfect. If you use that, then you wouldn't need Cliff's AP BIO. Now that I think of it, I wish I would have used Feralis notes instead of Cliff's... Feralis looks like it includes the same stuff as Cliff's plus some more physiology material.

Thank you for your comment about Bootcamp being harder than the DAT. I was scoring 20s in CDP but below 15 in Bootcamp. I'm so relieved now! :)