DAT Done 2/9/2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shawerma90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Evening dental community;

I just completed my DAT this morning. Thankfully I did well, and I am very pleased. Im writing this to inform you of what materials I used to study. While many will post the same information, I feel obligated to give back. Prior to reading, I must say that the factor that best help me attain my scores was TIME. Having graduated in May 2011, I had ample time to study along with working in a lab. I studied for around 3 months, which is a while but it paid off.

BIOLOGY:
First off I read through KAPLAN BLUE BOOK and took notes. A lot of people bash it, but it really isn't that bad. While reading I incorporated my Histology and Bio-chem notes to add to the information. Next I used 2010 DAT Destroyer. Always read the explanations. DATqvault was also very useful, and for the price you get a lot of material!

GEN CHEM & ORGO:
I did not use Kaplan. I opted to use Chad's Videos, and he really is impressive. He focuses solely on the material you need, and his outlines+quiz's are pretty legit. 2010 DAT destroyer was used for additional questions. They were a great resource, and the questions i saw on the DAT were at times similar to the material found in DAT Destroyer.

PAT:
Crack PAT helped a lot. It was never a weakness, but the system used is marvelous.

QR:
Meh, I didnt put much effort into this. Mostly DAT Destroyer.

Practice Tests:
Top Score was amazing. I really enjoyed using it, and the exams were pretty spot on. Yes PAT and RC are not a good indicator, but the Sciences and Maths were good.

DAT Achiever was another good tool to use if you have the money and time to use it. Yes, its difficult but as many people say the more questions you see the better. Organic Chemistry was difficult for me here, but i was scoring well on the Gen Chem/Biology.

THE REAL THING: It went by pretty quickly. Not going to lie, but the material was very basic. Nothing really threw me off. Actually some basic biology questions had be scratching because I couldn't exactly recall the information. Overall the sciences went well. DAT Destroyer helped a lot in terms of Orgo/Gen Chem.
PAT was meh. Some of the shapes and images used weren't that nicely presented. Angle ranking was tough as balls. I was sitting staring like a platypus at several of the questions.
RC started off with the "WTF" because the opening passage was awful. The next two passages were a delight and easy to read, plus simple questions.
QR, maybe I got lucky but around half were easy calculations. It was near the end and I didn't really pay much attention but it was deadly.

I hope I can help some of you with questions and my experience. You need to take this exam seriously. After graduating and not getting a single interview you question your future and what you're capable of. I thankfully had time to study, and it paid off. My GPA is 3.57 with my science GPA I believe around 3.4. Just make the effort and time. You're all capable, and you all rock!

Members don't see this ad.

Pat: 21 83.1%
qr: 18 73%
rc: 21 77.1%
bio: 21 91.8%
gc: 24 96.1%
oc: 22 88.7%

ts: 22 94.8%
aa:21 91.3%

Does are really good scores!!! Congrats!!
For RC: Do you remember what were the passages about? Were there alot of questions on tone??
You did awesome on GC! what subjects do you remember came up?
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does are really good scores!!! Congrats!!
For RC: Do you remember what were the passages about? Were there alot of questions on tone??
You did awesome on GC! what subjects do you remember came up?
Thanks!!

Not sure anyone is going to get into what they saw on the test with you, study hard and you'll do well

Wow those are amazing scores!!
You mentioned the dat destroyer was very helpful and similar so if I just use that plus some readings and notes regarding biology and sciences plus crack dat pat how do you think I would do, or better yet how you would do without all the extra material u used? It's tough to answer but just curios

I'm not trying to get questions, I just would like to have an idea of the topics... Every little helps...

If you have Chads, Destroyer, and CDP, I promise you will do well, just put your time in and read the explanations to the problems you dont understand! Success stories are flooding this section of the forum, you will be one of them too, no need to panic

DAT12: Thank You for the kind words!

DAT Destroyer helped me understand GC and OC much better. Following Chad's Videos and seeing an array of questions that incorporated the information was refreshing and insightful. Even the explanations in Destroyer are well written. For Biology you never know what you can get, so practice as many questions as you can. If you feel you understand the information then Destroyer should suffice.

If i could recommend one thing it would be TopScore and Chad's Videos. I liked the questions they used. Make sure to understand why you are correct or wrong. I think everything I used + having time helped me a lot. I took the DAT before and didnt put in any time and no effort and it really showed because I did horrible.

Wow dude, these are awesome scores. Congrats.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Adamsswag, thank you. It really took a while but the hard word did pay off.
Dotoday, I appreciate the kinds words.

No problem, you deserves it. What schools did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
DAT Achiever was another good tool to use if you have the money and time to use it. Yes, its difficult but as many people say the more questions you see the better. Organic Chemistry was difficult for me here, but i was scoring well on the Gen Chem/Biology.

You are like one of the few people I have seen who has said good things about achiever :).

In any case great job on the test and those are some pretty solid scores!

Last edited:
ushaseos: Haha, Achiever wasn't a pleasure but the additional material was always useful. I'm not saying I scored well on them lol, however its another practice exam tool. I remember 2 days before I took the exam, I took my final Achiever exam, and I got a 13 in Ochem. I would pick Top Score over it.

MatthewCC: Yeah, I know what you mean. You reach that stage where you simply just want to be done. I hope you do well!

Dotoday: I will be applying for Fall 2013 cycle, which is kind of a waste of a year, but oh well. Hope it doesnt hurt me too much. My priority schools are in state, which are Detroit Mercy & U of M. Ill be applying to a range of schools. Yourself?

What was your study schedule like?

For October/November I was working at a Lab part time, and so the days I worked I studied after work from 6:30 - 11:00pm. The days I didnt work I spent around 6-8 hours. Sunday's I never studied since it was reserved for NFL, and Saturdays were half days. December was pretty slow and I didnt get much done, but in January I studied everyday for at least 6 hours. Having the time helped me stay sane :) so I didnt need to do that 12 hour day people talk about

One year wait does not have to be a waste. You can definitely work in a dental office and take a class or two. That will prove to schools that you care about academics.