PAT: 16
QR: 17
RC: 20 (I got piano'd!!)
Biology: 24
GC: 22
OC: 22
TS: 23
AA: 21

Overall, I am VERY happy with my scores. I definitely thought I would do terrible since I had to purely guess on about 6 math questions because time was running out, seeing the Piano passage rattled me a bit, and I thought Biology was tricky. Currently, I have a 3.9 overall gpa, and a 3.9 science gpa as well. I know with my DAT score and gpa I have a pretty good shot of being accepted somewhere, and there is NO WAY I'm taking the DAT again, but should I be worried that I got a 16 on PAT and 17 on QR?

BREAKDOWN:

PAT: Obviously, it's my worst section. I tend to do the worst on Keyholes and TFE and then I try to make up for it on the other sections. I used CDP and Topscore. CDP has way harder Hole-Punch problems but the real DAT has really hard angles. Topscore was pretty good, but once again, angles were tough on DAT

QR: I thought I would get about a 19 on this section, but for some reason it was taking me too long to do the beginning problems. Time was a HUGE issue on this section and I finished with just 3 seconds left. The calculator definitely helps, just don't waste time using it for every calculation which could have been one of my weaknesses. I used DAT destroyer math and Math Destroyer. There were a lot of word problems and more geometry and trig than I thought there would be.

RC: Search and destroy usually always works for me, I really don't like using any other method. My first 2 passages were easy so thank god I had plenty of time for the Piano passage. This definitely threw me off and I actually had to read a good chunk of the passage. There were also True / False questions which I had never seen before during practice.

BIOLOGY: Used Kaplan BB and Destroyer. I have a pretty good background in Biology so a lot of questions I knew from my courses. Destroyer was definitely a big help. I suggest going through the Destroyer as many times as you can, and taking notes on both the right and wrong answers. For example, I had a Light Reaction Photosynthesis question that was nearly word for word from the Destroyer

GC: Used Kaplan BB, Destroyer, Chad's videos, notes from Gen Chem class. I am soo glad I was able to find Chad's videos about a week before my test. I went through them in 2 days and they helped a lot. I really suggest going through these videos because it's basically like sitting through another Gen Chem class. Destroyer is also helpful, but REALLY hard...DAT wasn't even close to how hard the Destroyer was. I only had 1 pH calculation, all other calculations were simply using moles and grams etc..

OC: Kaplan BB, Destroyer, notes from OChem class. Luckily, I had a really good Ochem professor so I just re-studied her notes. But Destroyer is pretty good and the Roadmaps are a good review of the likely reactions the DAT will hit. Nothing tricky was on this section, and very very basic reactions...I think the hardest reaction might have been Aldol Condensation

So just in summary, the Kaplan BB was really basic and I only looked at it once. Destroyer is really good to have and I recommend buying Topscore...it's a pretty good gauge. My Topscore tests were 18, 19, and 20.

Mar 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
it was pretty similar, but DAT had harder angles and easier Hole-Punch. CDP is definitely useful

hausee

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2006
UCSD
Status

azar87

MD 2 Be
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
New York
Status
Medical Student
solid scores man i hope they overlook ur pat score cuz im in the same situation and im concerned but otherwise very solid scores especially on reading you had the piano and pulled that off how effective was destroyer and math destroyer? and wat else did you use

Simple Jack

7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2010
Status
Dentist
well done tofu! those scores along w/ your impressive GPAs should make for a fun fall for you this year, good luck to you and thanks for the breakdown!

krnkimsung

5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Really nice TS scores... Could you give us the breakdowns of your Top Scores if you don't mind?

I admire people with high bio score. Even after going through DAT Destroyer, and Kaplan Subject tests, Kaplan BB, AP Bio Cliff Notes, I can't get over 20 TS hump. Especially Bio is killing me...

Mar 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
solid scores man i hope they overlook ur pat score cuz im in the same situation and im concerned but otherwise very solid scores especially on reading you had the piano and pulled that off how effective was destroyer and math destroyer? and wat else did you use
I would say that if you can do fairly well on both destroyer and math destroyer, you'll get at least a 19 on the DAT just as long as you can work out the issues with time...and math destroyer is definitely harder than destroyer so I would focus on that

taptapgrind

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I have also never heard of true or false questions on DAT.. Has anyone else seen those before?
And Tofu, is it only the Destroyer you went through or was it only your background? Right now I am reviewing Bio and I really wonder if I could retain so much info for the test, especially along with the other subjects..

TexasOMFS

5+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Hey refriedtofu:
From what I've heard and read on these boards, QR is typically not very important compared to the other sections so I wouldn't worry about it as long as it meets the school's minimum requirements.
The PAT score may be a problem, you should call some schools up and see what they say. Also, there's a thread by doc toofache floating around somewhere that has all D-schools listed and how important each subsection score is to them.

Jan 7, 2010
California
Status
Pre-Dental
First off, congrats on your solid scores. I got the same AA, TS, and PAT scores, and a 15 QR. Anyways, I received 9 interviews and 3 acceptances so far. You will be fine.

However, I must warn you that anything below a 17 in any section does raise some flags and will come up during an interview. Be prepared. Some schools don't even look at your application if your PAT is below their minimum score. They do make exceptions if you have a strong application to balance things out though.