DAT Done. 3/22/2010.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmpedUp

The Legend Still Lives
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I took my DAT today. Forgive me for the lack of detail here in some parts of this Review/Report/whateveryouwannacallit

Bio = 19 (+2 from TopScore):
Random like IceBreaker mentioned. However, unlike IceBreaker, items in this section were a bit different e.g. I had a lot of plant stuff. 30 min.

GC = 21 (+3 from TopScore)
This score surprised me a little...I saw a lot of gas law stuff, stochiometry, and all the other common topics here (no electrochemistry though). Can't remember what else was tested... 35 min

OC = 18 (-3 from TopScore..ouch!)
A little surprised at how low my score was here, but I was also crunched on time because (and I also thought I saved the "best" for last here - so I was ok with 25ish min here). Poor time management on my part. Ummm honestly, I can't remember what was tested here...lol I'm the "logical" type when it comes to OChem, meaning I just move electrons around with the given reagents.

PAT = 16 (-2 from TopScore and -1 from CDP..)
In my opinion...

• Keyholes - easier than CDP and TopScore (breezed through this)
  • TFE - about the same as CDP and TopScore
  • Angles - same as CDP (TopScore is not a good comparison - throw it out)
  • Hole Punching - I found it to be on CDP's level (I was slow here)
  • Cube - easier than CDP
  • Folding - same as CDP
Disappointed with my score though...I thought I had done better...

RC = 16 (-5 from TopScore...YIKES)
Let's just say I got Piano'd here....Gooooood God that was a time consuming and difficult passage!! I was fumbling on that one...It was crazy. I was happy by the fact that I skipped over the Piano passage and did that one last....However, I still struggled to finish this section. Bubbled guesses on the remaining 7.

QR = 16 (-3 from TopScore)
OMG lots of calculations and word problems....At the 10 min mark, I had about 20 done, so I ended up guessing on the last several problems to make sure something was bubbled at the 1 min mark. Seriously, the ADA should consider extending the time in this section. I couldn't even get my mouse to freakin click some buttons on the calculator...I wish the numerical pad worked here. I also consider myself a mathematical person, but I just couldn't compete with the CLOCK.

OVERALL SCORES:

AA 18
TS 19

Should I plan on Retaking? Sooo exhausted from 3ish months of studying...

Some Notes About Me:
3.7ish GPA for both Sci and Overall
Graduating at the end of this semester with a Gen Studies (emphasis in Chemistry) degree
~50 hours of shadowing
tons of Volunteering experience at a free clinic

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Percentile Breakdown

PAT - 34 percentile
QR - 53.2 percentile
RC - 18.5 percentile
GC - 87.4 percentile
OC - 62.6 percentile
BIO - 77.1 percentile

Total Science - 76.6 percentile
Academic Average - 64.2 percentile

Last edited:
where are you applying?

I don't really have a list. However, I'll apply to any school that takes me....Literally, any school. I don't care.

My #1 school is UMKC though (my state contacts with them for in-state seats)

If you have a list of schools that'll like certain parts of my score report, go ahead and recommend them. I'm going to work on my list ASAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really have a list. However, I'll apply to any school that takes me....Literally, any school. I don't care.

My #1 school is UMKC though (my state contacts with them for in-state seats)

If you have a list of schools that'll like certain parts of my score report, go ahead and recommend them. I'm going to work on my list ASAP.

hey um.. i was just wondering..
everyone says they got "Piano'd" for RC section..
what does that mean??
Is "Piano" a some kind of very difficult reading passage?

hey um.. i was just wondering..
everyone says they got "Piano'd" for RC section..
what does that mean??
Is "Piano" a some kind of very difficult reading passage?

It's a Passage about the Piano....You can't prepare for it at all. The questions that were asked were RIDICULOUS!! I was lost.

Hi there, not to you break down your confidence or anything. UMKC is looking for atleast 19AA and 19 TS from WICHE states. I have personally met with Richie Bigham and their associate dean. They although don't care too much about PAT, but I scored a 14 on PAT and 19AA and 21TS, and was still advised to retake DAT. I felt like giving you a heads up buddy.
Fell free to ask any questions!

AmpedUp, you didn't do too shabby - you did well in the sciences, from what I understand anything above an 18 is good. What worries me are the other sections - specifically PAT and RC. If you can get those scores at least 2 points up, then I would say you would be safer. As far as QR goes, schools are starting to not really pay attention to that score, but the problem with it is that it effects your overall score and can bring you down. I noticed on your list of study materials you did not use the DAT Destroyer. Both the Destroyer and Math Destroyer bundle are a good investment if you want to boost your scores up. I read from a previous post that 70-80% of the QR probs are similar to the Math Destroyer problems. And maybe for PAT you were too nervous? I'm sure you prepared well if you used CDP.

I would also consider getting more shadowing hours under your belt. When I called Baylor, they said they wanted to see a DAT score of at least a 19 and at least 100 hours of shadowing experience. So I would call the school that you want to get into and see what they want from their applicants. Every school is different. My GPA is similar to yours and this will be my second time taking the DAT. I did not prepare well last time (i.e. only depended on KBB and my score shows it), so now I am using KBB as background info, Cliff's AP for Bio (might even go back to my Campbell text and refer to the phylogeny and plants chapters), Alan's notes (PM me if you want them), Chad's GChem videos, DAT destroyer, Math Destroyer, and have the Royal Flush edition for both PAT and Math. And for the reading section I was considering about investing into the CDR, still not sure.

If you do decide to retake, I would still submit my application to AADSAS when it opens June 3rd. A helpful site with LOR, personal statement examples, etc is www.dmdstudent.com. He is currently a D4 student at Temple and goes through his pre-dental and dental endeavors in depth to help other folks out there. Check out his suggestions, they are helpful.

I apologize for the long post, I hope it was helpful though. On the bright side, your AA and TS are still good. The sciences really brought you up and saved you in the end. :thumbup:

Hi there, not to you break down your confidence or anything. UMKC is looking for atleast 19AA and 19 TS from WICHE states. I have personally met with Richie Bigham and their associate dean. They although don't care too much about PAT, but I scored a 14 on PAT and 19AA and 21TS, and was still advised to retake DAT. I felt like giving you a heads up buddy.
Fell free to ask any questions!

what was your GPA?

AmpedUp, you didn't do too shabby - you did well in the sciences, from what I understand anything above an 18 is good. What worries me are the other sections - specifically PAT and RC. If you can get those scores at least 2 points up, then I would say you would be safer. As far as QR goes, schools are starting to not really pay attention to that score, but the problem with it is that it effects your overall score and can bring you down. I noticed on your list of study materials you did not use the DAT Destroyer. Both the Destroyer and Math Destroyer bundle are a good investment if you want to boost your scores up. I read from a previous post that 70-80% of the QR probs are similar to the Math Destroyer problems. And maybe for PAT you were too nervous? I'm sure you prepared well if you used CDP.

I would also consider getting more shadowing hours under your belt. When I called Baylor, they said they wanted to see a DAT score of at least a 19 and at least 100 hours of shadowing experience. So I would call the school that you want to get into and see what they want from their applicants. Every school is different. My GPA is similar to yours and this will be my second time taking the DAT. I did not prepare well last time (i.e. only depended on KBB and my score shows it), so now I am using KBB as background info, Cliff's AP for Bio (might even go back to my Campbell text and refer to the phylogeny and plants chapters), Alan's notes (PM me if you want them), Chad's GChem videos, DAT destroyer, Math Destroyer, and have the Royal Flush edition for both PAT and Math. And for the reading section I was considering about investing into the CDR, still not sure.

If you do decide to retake, I would still submit my application to AADSAS when it opens June 3rd. A helpful site with LOR, personal statement examples, etc is www.dmdstudent.com. He is currently a D4 student at Temple and goes through his pre-dental and dental endeavors in depth to help other folks out there. Check out his suggestions, they are helpful.

I apologize for the long post, I hope it was helpful though. On the bright side, your AA and TS are still good. The sciences really brought you up and saved you in the end. :thumbup:

Cool!

My scores do show that I was a little fatigued after the NS section :)

With CDP, I was scoring between 16 and 19...I might have been trying too hard on the real thing. However, I think the angle determination, folding, hole punching brought my score down significantly here. TFE, Keyhole, Cube Counting were easy for me though...

and yeah, I think I might need the DAT Destroyer if I decide to retake...

Oh and...I used Chad's and Alan's notes (not reflected in my sig at the moment)...and they were helpful!

Appreciate your post though. The longer the better! :thumbup:

Hey man, it might be good to get CDM or Math Destroyer to get ur speed up in math...
I would say retake...those scores are average and don't exactly GUARANTEE you a spot anywhere (I know a lotta schools hold the RC in high regard, and some love the PAT). Of course if your application is in early and strong in other areas, you still have a chance. Personally, I just wouldn't risk it.

you will most likely need a re-take if you have the chance to avail one go for it USE destroyer and math destroyer this time get the highest score possible until you have no more chances it'll make a big difference so buck up and get back to the books and u shall be fine also try using Crack dat pat and kaplan review stuff

you will most likely need a re-take if you have the chance to avail one go for it USE destroyer and math destroyer this time get the highest score possible until you have no more chances it'll make a big difference so buck up and get back to the books and u shall be fine also try using Crack dat pat and kaplan review stuff

oh ok. i'll consider retaking it...but at this point, im really busy with school and stuff. i got a research grant to write and many more other papers/tests for my classes (cuz i got a gpa to maintain). so in june, i'll decide whether i should retake. im a little fearful that NS scores might drop if i do retake...and i really don't want to take that chance... but i'll think about it though. im sure my PAT and QR scores can improve.

so....schools don't really look at GPA anymore? more emphasis is placed on a 5 hr test than 4 yrs of coursework? :rolleyes:

aggghhh confusion sucks...

Hi

if you don't mind, Could you please post your practice scores (Top score Pro)? I have a VERY similar TS scores as yours and I am taking mine in 3 weeks.

Also, compared to Kaplan Subject Tests, how would you compare the real one? I'm struggle with the Bio section the most even after Destroyer / Subject test/ AP Cliff Notes.

Thanks, :)

oh ok. i'll consider retaking it...but at this point, im really busy with school and stuff. i got a research grant to write and many more other papers/tests for my classes (cuz i got a gpa to maintain). so in june, i'll decide whether i should retake. im a little fearful that NS scores might drop if i do retake...and i really don't want to take that chance... but i'll think about it though. im sure my PAT and QR scores can improve.

so....schools don't really look at GPA anymore? more emphasis is placed on a 5 hr test than 4 yrs of coursework? :rolleyes:

The good part is you can apply first week of june like me. I am planning to study my butt off May, June and July and retake DAT in August. So its a win win situation as our applications won't lack anything, if you know what I mean. 99% of all schools recommend you to apply early buddy. I know retake sucks, I was planning a vacation this summer, but gong to invest another summer in DAT prep. :)

yeah looks like you got fatigued, but don't go beating yourself up. You got solid NS scores and GPA. Sure it's disappointing that there wasn't a stronger correlation w/ your prep figures, but I say go ahead and register for another test, and then decide later if you actually take it. Meanwhile, finish the semester, get good LOEs, and write a killer personal statement. If summer rolls around and you get energized then hit the PAT hard while staying abreast of the sciences. For me personally I think RC and QR are going to be a crap-shoot, and I only have one shot at it since I test in July. thanks for sharing and stay positive, amped up. :thumbup:

Your GPA plays a huge part and so does the DAT. The DAT provides an fairer means of comparison, even though it is only one test.

Your GPA plays a huge part and so does the DAT. The DAT provides an fairer means of comparison, even though it is only one test.

Yeah I getchu! I was just letting some air out lol.

I am leaning more toward a retake now...First though, I'm going to visit my counselor and talk to admission folks up in UMKC to see if it's necessary (since NS scores are strong and the others are lackluster).

I think next time I take the test...I'm going to work on endurance...

Also, do schools take the highest scores from each section for multiple tries?

to my knowledge they dont pull scores from multiple test to form a high score. something you may consider and i dont know if this will work at all, but retake and make sure to submit your scores to different schools from the 1st time. If you make a better score then submit to umkc. This may be a way to hide it this cycle but not sure about the following cycles.

By the way,

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE ADVICE!!!

I'll let you all know how things are going for me. Like I mentioned above, I'll consider retaking the exam. I'm probably going to use DAT Destroyer for all (math and science), practice some more PAT on CDP..

HOWEVER, I'm still a little unsure on how I can improve on RC (Kaplan and TopScore didn't really do much to prepare me). I guess I'm going to have to create something that works in that regard - reading science articles, etc.