Dat done 3/4/09!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R9973

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally! The three months of studying have paid off!!

BIO: 19
GCHEM: 23
OCHEM: 22
RC: 20
QR: 20
PAT: 21

AA: 21
TS: 21
PAT: 21 (Apparently, I'm consistent!)

My thoughts and opinions...

I took Kaplan online and used it religiously. I was able to get $200 discount on the program, which means I paid about $1000 for it. I also bought CDP Royal Flush, which I did not find necessary but I will explain below.

BIO:
SOOOO RANDOM! Some of the questions were very easy, most were "average," but the really hard ones I have never even seen before in any of my studies with Kaplan or school. It really is luck of the draw. I am a Bio major with a 3.9 GPA, so I figured this would be a very easy section for me. I reviewed Kaplan's Bio, but I never truly studied hard for Bio. Honestly though, I don't think I would have done any better with the section if I studied Kaplan's Bio due to the randomness of the questions.

GCHEM:
Very easy and straightforward. Kaplan GChem did an excellent job! Nothing was unfamiliar or tricky. I figured that GChem would be my worst section since I have not seen it in 2 years, so I studied very hard for it and I am very proud of my results. I highly recommend Kaplan for the GChem.

OCHEM:
Once again, very straightforward and no sly tricks. Kaplan OChem covered everything excellently, but it might have been a tad overkill. I also devoted a lot of time to this section, and I am very excited with the results.

PAT:
A little disappointed. I bought CDP and was scoring in the mid 20s, usually around 23 with my lowest a 22. This score resembles my Kaplan PAT results. I would really like to go back and see the incorrect answers because I finished the section with about 15 minutes left and felt very confident. However, I cannot complain at all! The difficulty of the questions was very similar to Kaplan. CDP was not worth it in my opinion for those who already have a good grasp on the execution.

RC:
The first two passages were very easy reads with simple questions. I forget the gist of them, but I think one was on ECM and tooth growth. I forget the second passage completely! My last passage was Ethics, which was annoying. The big concern with this section was timing. You MUST be quick. I used an abbreviated Kaplan strategy with picking out keywords and then search/destroy. Surprised that a 20 on RC only equals a 67 percentile?

QR:
Very fast section! Like RC, you MUST move quickly. Kaplan does a terrible job with this section. I understand that it is all somewhat simple math, but I think Kaplan can do much better. I had A LOT of rate questions, like Train A leaves X and Train B leaves X - they meet where, which aren't terrible, but time consuming. Also, make sure you know your special triangles!!!!

Very pleased with the results - according to my printout, my 21AA and 21TS place me in the top 7-8%. Now I just need to figure out where to apply!!! Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow Good Job. Excellent scores.

Your applications depend on which state you're from.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG!!:eek:!! The OP didn't use Destroyer and scored a 21?? He MUST be a troll. Everyone on SDN knows you need destroyer to do well........

haha im not a troll!

more of my stats...

From PA
Pre-Dental Society President
In a club that gives tours of campus
tutor for 2 gen bio classes
TA for physiology class
good amount of shadowing
good amount of volunteering (dental clinic in DR)

I want to go to Temple or Penn, but do you guys know anything about scholarship money???

haha im not a troll!

more of my stats...

From PA
Pre-Dental Society President
In a club that gives tours of campus
tutor for 2 gen bio classes
TA for physiology class
good amount of shadowing
good amount of volunteering (dental clinic in DR)

I want to go to Temple or Penn, but do you guys know anything about scholarship money???

Yeah, scholarship money has dried up like Lake Mead in the past few months. With the economy down, donations go down, and state and federal funding have went down as well. I wouldn't count on it too much.:(

I didn't use Crack DAT or destroyer. Just Kaplan and my science textbooks, and I scored plenty well. It's just how much effort you want to put into it.

Same for me James, I just bombed QR otherwise I think we would have had same AA thread starter. Congrats and apply early and you are a shoe in!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the write up and your impressions of the test.

Congratulations on finishing the test.

Finally! The three months of studying have paid off!!

BIO: 19
GCHEM: 23
OCHEM: 22
RC: 20
QR: 20
PAT: 21

AA: 21
TS: 21
PAT: 21 (Apparently, I'm consistent!)

My thoughts and opinions...

I took Kaplan online and used it religiously. I was able to get $200 discount on the program, which means I paid about $1000 for it. I also bought CDP Royal Flush, which I did not find necessary but I will explain below.

BIO:
SOOOO RANDOM! Some of the questions were very easy, most were "average," but the really hard ones I have never even seen before in any of my studies with Kaplan or school. It really is luck of the draw. I am a Bio major with a 3.9 GPA, so I figured this would be a very easy section for me. I reviewed Kaplan's Bio, but I never truly studied hard for Bio. Honestly though, I don't think I would have done any better with the section if I studied Kaplan's Bio due to the randomness of the questions.

GCHEM:
Very easy and straightforward. Kaplan GChem did an excellent job! Nothing was unfamiliar or tricky. I figured that GChem would be my worst section since I have not seen it in 2 years, so I studied very hard for it and I am very proud of my results. I highly recommend Kaplan for the GChem.

OCHEM:
Once again, very straightforward and no sly tricks. Kaplan OChem covered everything excellently, but it might have been a tad overkill. I also devoted a lot of time to this section, and I am very excited with the results.

PAT:
A little disappointed. I bought CDP and was scoring in the mid 20s, usually around 23 with my lowest a 22. This score resembles my Kaplan PAT results. I would really like to go back and see the incorrect answers because I finished the section with about 15 minutes left and felt very confident. However, I cannot complain at all! The difficulty of the questions was very similar to Kaplan. CDP was not worth it in my opinion for those who already have a good grasp on the execution.

RC:
The first two passages were very easy reads with simple questions. I forget the gist of them, but I think one was on ECM and tooth growth. I forget the second passage completely! My last passage was Ethics, which was annoying. The big concern with this section was timing. You MUST be quick. I used an abbreviated Kaplan strategy with picking out keywords and then search/destroy. Surprised that a 20 on RC only equals a 67 percentile?

QR:
Very fast section! Like RC, you MUST move quickly. Kaplan does a terrible job with this section. I understand that it is all somewhat simple math, but I think Kaplan can do much better. I had A LOT of rate questions, like Train A leaves X and Train B leaves X - they meet where, which aren't terrible, but time consuming. Also, make sure you know your special triangles!!!!

Very pleased with the results - according to my printout, my 21AA and 21TS place me in the top 7-8%. Now I just need to figure out where to apply!!! Any thoughts?

Wow, good job man!!! I just find this to be funny because you scored a point better on every single sections including TS and AA, and we both got the same PAT score!! What are the chances of that happening? You're gonna be in dental pretty soon so good luck with your applicaton process!!!

Temple, Penn, UMDNJ, NYU, Pitt, Maryland, Tufts, BU...but my tops are Temple and Penn due to location and the possibility of financial aid

im applying to the same schools pretty much, very similar scores. job well done. you start your personal statement yet? thing is a pain in the a** :smuggrin:

don't feel like you can get into any school now because you have those stats. people still get rejected from schools with stats as good or even better than yours.

I have not sat down and actually started writing my PS, but I do generally have the ideas and structure of what I am going to say.

I certainly appreciate the comment thethethe (as much of a downer as it may be). I realize that statistics alone do not give someone the right of automatic acceptance. Theoretically, of the 4,000 students applying for 125 seats at Temple, 280 applicants will have better DAT scores (if you consider that my scores at roughly top 7% --> 7/100-->70/1000--> 280/4000).

However, if you would like a full picture of my commitment to obtaining my goals and securing acceptances I can detail the rest of my application.