Dat done! 4/19/11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sap1622

SPatel
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I just finished taking my DAT this morning and wanted to let you know how I did. First I want to say thank you to all the SDN-ers out there. Without you all I would have been clueless and lost. Thank you all and I mean it! Secondly I took this DAT in 2.5 weeks after my classes ended. So I took my finals and went straight into studying hardcore. I had started my initial studying the winter break prior to this summer. I did a very little bit my spring semester. Also the last thing is I took this DAT without spending more than 12 bucks (tax included).

Breakdown:

PAT- 19 (69.4)
QR- 26 (99.8) WTF
RC- 19 (67.6)
Bio- 21 (95.5)
GC- 21 (91.6)
OC- 19 (75.7)
TS- 20 (91.3)
AA- 21 (97.2)

The basic study materials that I used came off the internet, KBB (old version), Cliff's AP Bio, and Barron's DAT books.

Bio- surprisingly I didn't have tooo many random questions. Only a few. But yea it was that bad. I'm content after feeling anxious in the beginning. (Cliff's AP bio/KBB/PreDDS.net)

GC- This section wasn't bad. The questions were really easy and I didn't have to compute any numbers. I didn't get as many number-crunching questions as other people were saying so that helped too. It was all formulas that you needed to know! (KBB/PreDDS.net)

OC- This was kinda a crap shoot. I'm pretty good at orgo, but there were too many reactions and stuff. So I didn't prepare as much as I wanted to. A good amount of concept questions as well. (KBB/PreDDS.net/all those orgo reaction flashcards)

PAT- I found myself running out of time in this section which kinda surprised me. During my "practice tests" I was able to finish with like 5 min left, but today I had to guess on like 3 to 5 questions. (Barron's PAT/online tests)

RC- Did not get "piano-ed"! Can't say much about this. I'm a terrible reader so I guess it shows lol -_- (winged this)

QR- I'm surprised. I thought this section would be tougher. Maybe it's because I really prepped for this section. IDK. Anyways I happy about this score and how it bumped me up in AA. (Kaplan QR practice tests)

Story here is: I managed to do this in a few weeks using hand-me-downs form my cousins (books are like 3-4 years old, but still works!). I didn't buy Topscore or Achiever or Destroyer. I did this with you all and a few resources. It's definitely possible.

So I have a 3.834 GPA, and my science GPA is 3.9XX (I got all As, except 1 A- one semester freshman year). I think I have competitive scores. Any chance I won't get in where I want?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where are you applying? You might not seem competitive to some schools....... ha NOT. Sick scores bro! Your def. going to get numerous interviews and acceptances!

Where are you applying? You might not seem competitive to some schools....... ha NOT. Sick scores bro! Your def. going to get numerous interviews and acceptances!

-University of Connecticut Health Center School of Dental Medicine, Farmington, Connecticut
-University of Maryland Dental School of the*University of Maryland at Baltimore
-Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine
-Tufts University School of Dental Medicine,*Boston
-University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey - New Jersey Dental School,*Newark
-New York University College of Dentistry, New York City
-Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine,*Philadelphia
-University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine,*Pittsburgh
-Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry, Nashville

As of now... My top 2 are BU and Tufts

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats man. You should be fine getting in to schools that you want to... as long as everything else adds up.

Now that you have taken it and know what the real DAT is... how would you have changed the way that you studied?

Hi all!

I just finished taking my DAT this morning and wanted to let you know how I did. First I want to say thank you to all the SDN-ers out there. Without you all I would have been clueless and lost. Thank you all and I mean it! Secondly I took this DAT in 2.5 weeks after my classes ended. So I took my finals and went straight into studying hardcore. I had started my initial studying the winter break prior to this summer. I did a very little bit my spring semester. Also the last thing is I took this DAT without spending more than 12 bucks (tax included).

Breakdown:

PAT- 19 (69.4)
QR- 26 (99.8) WTF
RC- 19 (67.6)
Bio- 21 (95.5)
GC- 21 (91.6)
OC- 19 (75.7)
TS- 20 (91.3)
AA- 21 (97.2)

The basic study materials that I used came off the internet, KBB (old version), Cliff's AP Bio, and Barron's DAT books.

Bio- surprisingly I didn't have tooo many random questions. Only a few. And I completely blanked on "how old the earth is" but guessed 4 billion which turns out to be right. But yea it was that bad. I'm content after feeling anxious in the beginning. (Cliff's AP bio/KBB/PreDDS.net)

GC- This section wasn't bad. The questions were really easy and I didn't have to compute any numbers. I didn't get as many number-crunching questions as other people were saying so that helped too. It was all formulas that you needed to know! (KBB/PreDDS.net)

OC- This was kinda a crap shoot. I'm pretty good at orgo, but there were too many reactions and stuff. So I didn't prepare as much as I wanted to. A good amount of concept questions as well. (KBB/PreDDS.net/all those orgo reaction flashcards)

PAT- I found myself running out of time in this section which kinda surprised me. During my "practice tests" I was able to finish with like 5 min left, but today I had to guess on like 3 to 5 questions. (Barron's PAT/online tests)

RC- Did not get piano-ed! Can't say much about this. I'm a terrible reader so I guess it shows lol -_- (winged this)

QR- I'm surprised. I thought this section would be tougher. Maybe it's because I really prepped for this section. IDK. Anyways I happy about this score and how it bumped me up in AA. (Kaplan QR practice tests)

Story here is: I managed to do this in a few weeks using hand-me-downs form my cousins (books are like 3-4 years old, but still works!). I didn't buy Topscore or Achiever or Destroyer. I did this with you all and a few resources. It's definitely possible.

So I have a 3.834 GPA, and my science GPA is 3.9XX (I got all As, except 1 A- one semester freshman year). I think I have competitive scores. Any chance I won't get in where I want?

GPA+DAT so stellar.... Your gonna be competitive at 99% of schools, enjoy picking & choosing your acceptances

You shouldnt be really putting up questions that came from your exam, on public blog. Unless you want to get your scores deleted. Just my two cents.

You shouldnt be really putting up questions that came from your exam, on public blog. Unless you want to get your scores deleted. Just my two cents.

Fixed it! Don't want that to happen.

Anyways after taking the exam, I def am glad that I gave myself no more than 3-4 weeks. I feel like if I stretched it out, I would have forgotten more stuff. That's kinda how I learn so it works. Um I thought the actual PAT was easier than I thought...but my score doesn't really convey that so I kinda wish I might have used CDP to boost it up a point or 2. I wish I studied more of the reagents for orgo. I think If you know the combination of each reagent u'll ace those question...harder done than said. I'm really really REALLY glad I spent time practicing my math, which ultimately brought my AA up to a 21. One thing I also remember is how slow the computers work. I wish I did more practice tests to get the feel of test day. Really try to time yourself in the same conditions because when I got there I sort of panicked and skipped like 5 out of the first 10 bio questions and eventually came back to it. As the test goes on you get better and less anxious. But yeah practice def would have helped.