Dat Done (5/12)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I took my DAT today and here are my scores. I am sad about my RC. What do you guys think of my chances? MY GPA is 3.69 and I was engineering major.

AA 21
TS 21

Bio 20
GC 21
OC 24
RC 18
PA 20
QR 19

I used all the resources that were recommended on this forum. I want to thank members of this forum for providing information. Please feel free to ask me if you have any questions or concerns.

I used the following text books for my test:

Bio: Cliffs AP, kaplan blue book, and destroyer. I definitely recommend Cliffs AP. Questions are random and you need to know almost every detail. AP biology really helps. I read Cliffs almost everyday to make sure that I remember subjects for my test. Kaplan is not enough, and destroyer is just a good way to push you and study more. Questions on destroyer are harder than real DAT, but don't rely too much on destroyer. I just got one similar question from destroyer.

G-Chem: Kaplan is a really good source for G-Chem. I also used my own lecture notes. Last week I used kaplan flash cards to make sure that I remember some of the equations. G-Chem questions on DAT IMO are more conceptual and less calculating.

O-Checm: Kaplan is a good source. But I think the best way to learn is to write all the reactions and summarize them. O-Chem is straight forward and as long as you memorize the reactions you are fine. Destroyer is also helpful to practice and I worked on destroyer O-Chem questions almost everyday.

RC: I was out of time. I am a slow reader and I could not finish the last passage. I wish I had more time. I guess I need to put some explanation with regard to my RC on my application. Passages are longer than Top Scores and Kaplan practice passages.

PA: I used Kaplan and top score and I think Top score is helpful and it is very similar to the real one.

QR: It is really hard. Just do lots of practice but QR on real DAT is much harder and I think the only thing that I can recommend is not to give up and keep going. There are some super hard questions, but also you find some easy questions. If you could not get the answer for any question do not erase your answer because when you go back you spend less time to find the answer. I used Kaplan, top score and destroyer for this section.

I studied for two months 4-5 hours everyday and last week I just took topscore practice exams and reviewed my flashcards. Hope this help you out.

Thank you and Good luck to everybody!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
good job on your DAT. Along with your solid GPA you should be able to get into some schools. im surprised by your low QR score considering you have an engineering degree. heh. Still a great job.

good job on your DAT. Along with your solid GPA you should be able to get into some schools. im surprised by your low QR score considering you have an engineering degree. heh. Still a great job.

allstardentist, Thanks for your response. I was surprised too. I did not spend so much time to study for math. I scored 21/21/20 on my Topscore's QR section and I guess it misleaded me!! QR for real DAT is way harder than practice tests. I should have done more practice.

I was also very tired at the end; doing lots of calculations made me slow so I think I did not do well on last 5 questions. I read on this forum that QR score is not very important, and hopefully it is the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have chances for some private schools like NYU or USC but I am not sure about public dental schools!

No, he has chances everywhere, and definitely a lot of public schools.

Great job and good luck.

allstardentist, Thanks for your response. I was surprised too. I did not spend so much time to study for math. I scored 21/21/20 on my Topscore's QR section and I guess it misleaded me!! QR for real DAT is way harder than practice tests. I should have done more practice.

I was also very tired at the end; doing lots of calculations made me slow so I think I did not do well on last 5 questions. I read on this forum that QR score is not very important, and hopefully it is the case.

hahaha...tell me about it....i was surprised too while i was doing QR section....but QR is not something reasoning but it is specific about certain things like ellipse equations....and what is up with engineers and low RC..:(:(...i dont know about OP but Ethics passage just killed me...i was very confident during the scientific passages but then Ethics passage with its tone questions...aaarrgggg....
hopefully one low score should not affect that much...

and good job ASAM..we share almost same score!!! gluck...

hahaha...tell me about it....i was surprised too while i was doing QR section....but QR is not something reasoning but it is specific about certain things like ellipse equations....and what is up with engineers and low RC..:(:(...i dont know about OP but Ethics passage just killed me...i was very confident during the scientific passages but then Ethics passage with its tone questions...aaarrgggg....
hopefully one low score should not affect that much...

and good job ASAM..we share almost same score!!! gluck...

Hi Sajjy, I also got ethics passage and it was very very long. Because of ethics passage, I was out of time for the last passage.

Anyway, it is done! You also did great on your DAT. Good luck on your application process! Best, ASAM

You have chances for some private schools like NYU or USC but I am not sure about public dental schools!

I do not get this comment!! Are f**k kidding me? ASAM10 got TS=21 and it is definitely above average. Can you tell me why OP can not get into public schools? I think saying things like this make others with lower stats not to come up on this forum and post their scores...You should be more fair Rose!

I do not get this comment!! Are f**k kidding me? ASAM10 got TS=21 and it is definitely above average. Can you tell me why OP can not get into public schools? I think saying things like this make others with lower stats not to come up on this forum and post their scores...You should be more fair Rose!

Yes and he has above average GPA as well.....

Rose, Actually I don't plan to apply to USC. They have PBL system and I am not used to this type of studying. I prefer to go to schools that have traditional lecture format.