DAT Done 5/16/08

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

playa2652

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow! I am so happy that it is finally over...First things first, SDN is one of the greatest resources any pre-dental student can have. I used Topscore, Achiever, Destroyer, Crack DAT PAT, and kaplan. Destroyer is definitely a huge asset...know it, study it through at least 3 times. Topscore and Achiever should be used too, go through it the last week as a timing practice to gage how much time you should spend on the test. Crack DAT PAT and Kaplan were both helpful. I would say that Kaplan was fairly good at covering basics, which did come up on the test for all sections.

Here are my scores:
Standard Score Percentile
PAT 22 97.2
QR 16 50.9
RC 19 53.3
Bio 19 75.3
Gchem 23 94.5
Ochem 22 89.8
TS 21 91.3
AA 20 84.3

So what are my chances? I am a bioengineering major, who has done over 200 observation hrs, assisted and developed a dental research project with a professor at the UOP dental school, was an interim employee at the American Dental Association for 6 months and did research with them. The research is going to be in a scientific journal and I'm a coauthor. Part of a biological honors society, in a fraternity (was treasurer), and part of a club that teaches elementary school children proper oral hygiene. My overall gpa is 3.36, but my BCP is 3.42.

Members don't see this ad.

Hoss19..you really helped me out this past week with the advice you gave me last week thanks. Also, shout out to allstardentist who helped me with RC (I used to suck at it), and of course SDN once again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrat! Please let me know if you plan to sell those study materials. I am going to use them for my studying. Thanks.

Congrat! Great Scores overall.. plus with all your experiences I think you will be a great candiate... I am sure you will get in to several schools...
btw, how did you prepare for the g. chem? Lately, I've heard that there are more conceptual questions than calculation part.. what was your impression?
Thanks

I think the best way to prepare for the gchem was destroyer as a solid foundation followed by topscore and achiever. I had like 5-6 calculation probs on my test, but most people had more conceptual...so study as much as you can because you never know what they can give u. I felt that the probs on the actual tests were definitely not as hard as destroyer, but destroyer really reinforces basic concepts to help you do well on the gchem part. Gchem used to be my weakest section on every practice test on Kaplan, Destroyer, Topscore and achiever. On the actual test, it was my best section, weird huh? maybe I overprepared myself for that section that it just seemed easier, but thats my advice. Best of luck.

damn nice scores man. congrats! my test date is comin up in 2 weeks. the jitters are starting to set in haha. i'm just going over dat destroyer over and over and taking a practice exam every few days. i hope it will be enough. any advice to give?

hi there i would like to know on the gen chem section was tthere a lot of calculations such as ph ka kb and so on

Thanks jigabodo.

Userah: I would continue what your doing right now. Study your mistakes on practice tests and make sure you know why you got a prob wrong on destroyer and why the other possible choices are wrong too. My OChem and Gchem went up by 4-5 points from my practice tests. For Bio I would say if you have time go thru a bio textbook and look at captions for pics. If you can find some website with application based probs, then study that somehow. All I can say is that the test overall I believe was fair and pretty straightforward. The hardest section for me was QR, even though I'm an Bioengineering major, my strength comes mainly from the bio part not the math. Math I can do, but when pressured, its a lot harder to process my thoughts clearly.

nilejewles430: The gchem section had a solubility question but thats all I remember. I had about 5-6 calc probs but nothing that destroyer didn't prepare me for. Honestly, I was stoked when I found out my score for that section. i got consistent 17s on practice exams and got 23 on the real thing. This emphasizes the fact that if you know the basics for gchem you will do will on the test. I would enlighten you more on this section, but in order to give everyone a fair advantage, this is all I can say.

I'm just worried about my QR score and the fact that I'm a bioengineering major supposedly means I can pull answers out of nowhere instantly. Honestly though, engineers spend hours on end doing harder derivative and integral problems than doing stuff that we haven't seen seen early high school. Overall, my scores are solid and considered competitive. I want to get into UOP, but i'm not sure if they will let the QR score slide this year like they did the previous year.