rkqqnyong

5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
First, I would like to thank all the members who have been sharing their invaluable knowledge and wisdom. I learned a lot from all the posts and threads and saved a lot of time and money.

Here's the break down of my score:

PAT 23
QR 27
RC 19
BIO 19
GC 22
OC 23
TS 21
AA 22

To be honest, I am not completely satisfied with my score.
I am thinking about retaking the DAT to crank up my science scores.

I actually registered for the DAT one year ago and was going to take it in August 2011.
But due to the series of unfortunate events such as family loss, best friend's suicide, etc, etc, I had to continuously reschedule the exam several times, $25 for each.
So I ended up taking the DAT during my finals week - May 4th 2012 was the expiration day of my DAT registration, and I couldn't take the test after that.

I studied for two months to prepare the DAT.
But I couldn't dedicate all my effort and hours into it because I also had to focus on my school works to keep my GPA high. I plan to apply for the Air Force Scholarship Program, so I really need to have high GPA and DAT score.
Currently, I have 3.61 overall GPA and 3.89 Science GPA.

And here is my opinions about the test and prep materials.

Bio: It was my weakest section. I read over Barron's AP Bio twice and also supplemented with Cliff's AP Bio and KBB. I also used DATqvault. And like everybody else already said, Biology questions in the actual DAT was so random. If I study biology again to ace the bio section, I will go over Barron's AP bio to familiarize myself with the overall concepts, and read the Campbell's bio textbook and try to understand all the details.

GC/OC CHAD + DAT Destroyer.....enough said. Watch Chad's lectures, and take notes. I made 80-page notes for each of GC and OC after watching the videos once. Then I kept going over the notes with my red pen. I completed the destroyer once. I really wished that I had more time to prepare. I think that I could've scored high 20's if I repeated the destroyer problems couple more times. The questions in the actual test was simpler and easier than those in destroyer. One OC question asked me how a "Ketal" look like. And I had none of IR/NMR questions.

QC CHAD + Math Destoyer. Chad's math videos gave me an excellent review on the subject. And what he goes over in the video appears in the real DAT. Then I completed all twelve math destroyer tests once. For first couple of tests, I timed myself for an hour. Then I reduced the time down to 45 minutes - the actual DAT time. Finally, for the last couple of tests, I reduced the time to 40 minutes. In the actual exam, I had about a minute left after all of the 40 questions. During the actual exam, I marked and passed all of the "wordy" questions and dealt with simple arithmetic problems first. Then I went back to deal with trigonometry problems and less complicated "wordy" questions. In last fifteen minutes, I attacked more challenging questions. Word of advice: do not try to come up with a formula for every questions. Sometimes you can just work out the problems with the answer choices and find the right one. This can save a lot of valuable time. And I strongly recommend the Math Destroyer. Just like GC/OC section, the real DAT gives you simpler and easier questions. The destroyer will train you with all the curve balls that Chemistry and Mathematics can throw at you.

PAT I purchased Crack DAT PAT. In my opinion, it was a good reflection of the real exam. The angle section was the most identical in the difficulty level. The punch-hole section was actually harder in the real DAT. I also went over the techniques described in PreDD$.net : http://predd$.net/pat-techniques/. (Change $ sign to s...... for some reason, the real name becomes ************)
This helped me tremendously. Just practice a lot, and you will be fine.:thumbup:

RC English is my second language, and I'm a slow reader. I used Crack DAT Reading, but it did not really help. For the DAT, I read the first passage completely and wrote down key points for each paragraph. By the time I finished answering the first 17 questions, I only had 30 minutes left. At that time I knew I was f*&ked. I just tried to do my best on the second passage, and I guessed all the questions for the third.... sad....:(
My passages were about hurricane and human heart. I honestly don't even remember what the third one was about.
One thing I can tell you for sure about the real RC, search and destroy method will not work.
And if you are like me who read slow and speak English as a second language, train yourself with online science news. Try to read it fast and understand the key points at the same time. Time yourself and start this at least an year or two prior to the DAT if you want to ace RC.

Well, that's all I have to say.
I wish this could be helpful for others who are preparing.
Good luck with your studying and good luck with your DAT! :luck::luck::luck:

asdfray

currently at work
Apr 28, 2010
Status
Dental Student
If you need to retake, I'm definitely in trouble - congrats!:D

ushaseos

-Classified Information-
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2011
Status
Pre-Dental
Don't retake. Everything is good. Would 25 TS be better? Sure but you definitely don't want to retake with scores this good.

Your GPA is solid too so just work those ECs and your application will be great. Congrats on the fantastic score!

OP
rkqqnyong

rkqqnyong

5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Thank you all for the replies.
I was worried, but I feel better now :)

And in terms of EC - this stands for Extra Curriculums.... right?

I haven't really done any of volunteer works, honors, or researches.
But I was an active duty medic/pharmacy tech in the Army for four years,
and I've been working as a dental tech in the Air Force Reserve for two years.
Although I do not have any shadowing hours in civilian dental office,
I've been working with Air Force dentists and other dental techs in the clinic during all this time.

Would this be qualified as normal shadowing hours? And in which EC area should I work on more?

Last edited:

ushaseos

-Classified Information-
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2011
Status
Pre-Dental
Thank you all for the replies.
I was worried, but I feel better now :)

And in terms of EC - this stands for Extra Curriculums.... right?

I haven't really done any of volunteer works, honors, or researches.
But I was an active duty medic/pharmacy tech in the Army for four years,
and I've been working as a dental tech in the Air Force Reserve for two years.
Although I do not have any shadowing hours in civilian dental office,
I've been working with Air Force dentists and other dental techs in the clinic during all this time.

Would this be qualified as normal shadowing hours? And in which EC area should I work on more?
Yes ECs are Extra curricular Activities. What you have is actually very impressive! You're basically going to be a sought after candidate for most schools with those ECs, life experiences, DAT score + GPA. Technically I don't think what you have counts as shadowing but it is bloody impressive nonetheless and I don't think EVERY school has a shadowing requirement.

If time permits do some shadowing or volunteering but in your case I feel it is completely optional.

ajhalls3

7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2010
Status
Dentist
FYI, apply early for the Air Force, all scholarships are given away prior to Dec 1 (around Oct I think) based off the expectation that they will get into school. You will have a hard time even getting a hold of a recruiter at that point. If they are full, the Army usually has spots left over :)

OP
rkqqnyong

rkqqnyong

5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Yes ECs are Extra curricular Activities. What you have is actually very impressive! You're basically going to be a sought after candidate for most schools with those ECs, life experiences, DAT score + GPA. Technically I don't think what you have counts as shadowing but it is bloody impressive nonetheless and I don't think EVERY school has a shadowing requirement.

If time permits do some shadowing or volunteering but in your case I feel it is completely optional.
Thank you ushaseos for your information :)
I better do some shadowing and volunteering over the summer.

OP
rkqqnyong

rkqqnyong

5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
FYI, apply early for the Air Force, all scholarships are given away prior to Dec 1 (around Oct I think) based off the expectation that they will get into school. You will have a hard time even getting a hold of a recruiter at that point. If they are full, the Army usually has spots left over :)
I see, thank you very much for the heads up!
Actually, I'll call the AF health recruiter right now! :thumbup:

JonLee

JonLee
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Dude, nice scores, don't retake!
22AA is def AT LEAST top 10%!

Also when you shadow def try to shadow some of the dental specialties!

Dotoday

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2007
Status
You did very well. These are good scores. Congratulations.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Apr 7, 2012
Status
I hear you though, reading sucks. Did you try reading Scientific American, Time magazine or New York times? I even have the dictionary.com app on my phone.

May 8, 2012
Minnesota
Status
Dental Student
How can you not be satisfied with those scores? I think people put too much weight on the some of the other scores they see posted on here when they compare them to their own. How many people are gonna post scores 17-18? That's why you see so many outstanding scores and yours is included among them. The percentage on the side says it all man (90+% I'm sure). Great job. I'm envious with a 20 AA.

Dotoday

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2007
Status
I agree with therev1920. You did a great job.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Apr 7, 2012
Status
What makes you think that you did not do wwell? Many people who are studying right now would like to have your scores. Don't worry.