DAT done 6/14/11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlotusboys37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to post my scores real quick...will be back later the update what I did and which materials I used.

PAT. 20
QR. 17 (ya not my strong point but oh well)
RC. 20
Bio. 23
Chem. 24
Ochem 22
TS. 23
AA. 21

Here's the link to my prinout for my scores/percentiles.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/album.php?albumid=1206&pictureid=3000

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't get it. How did you jump so much from practice tests to real thing? Did you say you did practice tests weekly up until 2 days prior? Were you just making a lot of careless errors? Or did the dat just ask you everthing you were solid od

I felt like the real DAT was easier than the practice test...in science anyways. I have a friend who is at SA right now and told me the same thing before I took the DAT - "the real DAT is easier, so you should be fine." And, he was right. That may not be true for everyone though but I studied my butt off and I'm happy with the results...I'll be starting dental school in a little more than 2 months now!

Yes, I took my last practice test 2 days before taking the real DAT. One thing to mention is that I took my practice tests on Sundays and that's all I did that day - no studying at all so that I could give myself a break. I would look over the science and math questions that I missed but that's it. I honestly didn't take too much time looking over the questions that I missed...usually because I saw that it was because of a simple error or something that I understood very quickly as to why I missed the question.

But like JonLee said, there are a lot of factors that play into doing well. Could have been that I was asked about information that I knew very well and/or gotten "easier" questions. Plus, taking the practice tests help with you timing and help you to not freak out by the time you take the real DAT.

I remember going back to 2 or 3 questions on my Chem section bc my mental "lighbulb" went off in the middle of the exam and I was like, "I remember this type of question! I've got this!" haha

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, congratulations, you did good job :)

would you please tell us about how well you did in your prerequisite- classes?? and if you don t mind, tell us about the interviews ??

I felt like the real DAT was easier than the practice test...in science anyways. I have a friend who is at SA right now and told me the same thing before I took the DAT - "the real DAT is easier, so you should be fine." And, he was right. That may not be true for everyone though but I studied my butt off and I'm happy with the results...I'll be starting dental school in a little more than 2 months now!

Yes, I took my last practice test 2 days before taking the real DAT. One thing to mention is that I took my practice tests on Sundays and that's all I did that day - no studying at all so that I could give myself a break. I would look over the science and math questions that I missed but that's it. I honestly didn't take too much time looking over the questions that I missed...usually because I saw that it was because of a simple error or something that I understood very quickly as to why I missed the question.

But like JonLee said, there are a lot of factors that play into doing well. Could have been that I was asked about information that I knew very well and/or gotten "easier" questions. Plus, taking the practice tests help with you timing and help you to not freak out by the time you take the real DAT.

I remember going back to 2 or 3 questions on my Chem section bc my mental "lighbulb" went off in the middle of the exam and I was like, "I remember this type of question! I've got this!" haha

Hi, congratulations, you did good job

would you please tell us about how well you did in your prerequisite- classes?? and if you don t mind, tell us about the interviews ??

thanks

Great job dude. What happened to you on the QR section?

QR - just isn't my strong point. I'm sure if I had devoted more time to studying for QR I would have done better but I don't really get excited about math...just not "fun" for me (I imagine that it wouldn't be much fun for many others either).

Hi, congratulations, you did good job :)

Houston) the faculty and the students seemed very chill and cool. One big thing that they talk about is how there school is a "family." Based on what I saw, after talking with the students at Houston, I would agree with that statement. If you like the town and living in the largest medical center in the world...then it's perfect. The one thing that I didn't like about it was the school building is only open from 8am-10pm (I don't think those times are correct but it's something around those times - someone at Houston can correct me on that). Of course, the other big thing is their new dental building...totally awesome. the interview: like I said, all of the students seemed to really enjoy being there. Interview by 2 faculty members.

SA) One thing that I really like is that the school is open 24/7. I have a family so the fact that the school is always opens means I can spend time with my family and go up to the school if I ever need to catch up on anything. Another plus for me is that one of my best friends is in his first yr at SA so he would be a lot of help for me. the interview: 2 interviewers: 1 faculty member, 1 by a DS3 or DS4. What I liked about the SA interview is that the interviews didn't have my GPA or DAT scores, just my essays from my application; which, I felt allowed them to judged the interviewee on a more personal basis. I didn't feel like they were measuring me strictly by an "academically ruler" in the interview (All schools measure you academically to some extent so that's not to say they didn't). Something that I felt alot at my Baylor interview. SA also requires you to write a short essay at the end of the interview, just make sure that your writing style matches the style in your application essay...to check for plagiarism. I didn't stress over it..I wrote it in 20mins.

Baylor) The interview: I interviewed with 3 ppl, each interview was about 15mins long and each of the interviewers had my gpa and DAT scores in front of them. Oh, that's another thing...Baylor looks heavily at the sciences on your DAT. Every person I interviewed with told me how well I did on my DAT and that my TS score was really good. All the students here really like going to Baylor. They also mentioned that they have the most clinical requirements, which they actually do, compared to Houston and SA. I liked talking with the students and enjoyed the school when I was there. I honestly thought that I wasn't going to like it but after interviewing I enjoyed the school, but I never really wanted to go to Baylor to begin with. I had my eye set on SA as my first choice.

Note: These were just MY personal experiences as each school. It does not reflect everyone else's experience at each of these schools. When I was at my Baylor interview, there was a guy there who didn't have a great interview at SA - contrary to what I had.

Last edited:
Don't sweat it about QR. You still did a great job. I though the verbal setion would be most boring. Everyone is different I guess. You are right though, it does get a bit dull studying QR.

Don't sweat it about QR. You still did a great job. I though the verbal setion would be most boring. Everyone is different I guess. You are right though, it does get a bit dull studying QR.

Thanks! Ya, I'm not too worried about it...I'm starting school in 2 months so the worse is over. Now to get through 4yrs of Dschool...exciting!