1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Dat Done 6/14

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by STEP, Jun 21, 2008.

1. STEP

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    SO I took the DAT last saturday.
    I had that frap exam with ethics passage. I got so freaked out as soon as I saw the passage cuz everyone who had that passage said it was horrible. However, it was not too bad. It was a long passage but every paragraph was short. Here's my score

PAT :22
    BIO : 23
    GCHEM : 22
    OCHEM :21
    RC :18 (18 was my goal since English is not my first language)
    QR:20
    TS:22
    AA:21

Overall, I am really satisfied with my score. I studied 10-12hours/day for 6 weeks nonstop. I used everything out there and I totally dedicated myself to studying. I have a bechelor's degree in political science and I am doing post-bac. My overall GPA is 3.96 and Science GPA is 4.0

PAT : I was really surprised by my score. I was hoping to get 19-20 on the real dat cuz I was getting 22 on topscore but 18 on achiever. 22 was my highest practice score and I got that on the real DAT. I thought the real DAT was easier than those two practice tests.

BIO : In fact, I was lucky. I only took general biology and there were at least 10 questions on the DAT I had no idea whatsoever. I used kaplan, Destroyer, top score, and achiever. Some questions were really easy and simple but others were just so random. I was getting 21-20 on achiever.

GCHEM : It was all about concepts. I only had 4-5 calculation problems. IF you have a strong basic knowledge of GCHEM, it is no sweat. I think Destroyer is a bit overkill.

OCHEM: It was really easy except that I had a bunch of lab technique questions. IF you know basic reactions, you will be totally fine. I went over a couple of important lab tech before the test but it was not helpful at all. I think all you need for OCHEM is Destoyer.

RC: I had two science passages and ethics passage. I used kaplan method. I read the passage first and then went to the questions. It worked pretty well for me.

QR: ACtually, I was really confident about QR section. I was getting perfect scores or I missed one or two on the practice ones. However, time flew by so fast on the real test. On top of that, I swear they had two questions which didn't have correct answers. I spent so much time on those and ended up wasting my time. ( so I had to guess some of them at the end) But I am happy with my score.

I am so glad that it's over. I've been enjoying the summer since the test was over. IF you have any questions, I am willing to answer. Keep up the good work guys and I hope you guys all do well on the DAT!:smuggrin:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. harrygt

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Damn it. I have always been worried about the question on lab technics. so based on what you said, the sections in Kaplan and destroyer did not help you on the lab questions at all?

4. osimsDDS

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hey nice scores man, so for bio what would you compare it to? also for RC did you take notes while reading like kaplan says to or did you just read and then go back and answer the question, thanks...

5. harrygt

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Can anyone finally tell us some details about that FRAP question? I guess I'm gonna be the one to get the FRAP and let everybody know about it, once I get good scores in 20s.

6. STEP

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Well, nothin really helped me on those lab questions in my opinion ( or I wasn't prepared enough I guess. They are not hard but I just got them wrong)

For bio, it is hard to say cuz some of them are just out of nowhere. I've never had those types of questions on the practice tests. In addition, I didn't study biology in depth even though I am a biology major currently. So that could be the reason why I found it difficult.

For RC, I read through really fast while writing down key words. (numbers, years, weird terminology stuff) AFter reading the question, I went to the note, found the paragraph I needed, and then answered the question. I had a couple of tone/inference questions for each passage. For those questions, I just picked whatever after reading the answer choices.

Hope this helps!

7. Thundercatz

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Whats up with the DAT having so many questions on lab techniques?

8. gogobruin

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    good job!!!!!!!11 Where will u apply?? I think u can get into every school. My english is 18 as urs, and eng is not my first language. gooluck!!!