SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

DAT DONE 6/2/08 - some tips

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by bruin432, Jun 2, 2008.

1. bruin432

bruin432 2+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2008
    okay so i just left the test center not to long ago and wanted to say first and foremost thanks to everyone who has inputed on this site, its an amazing resource. So: back to business

Bio: i thought had some tricky questions that were somewhat odd ball, i ended up marking many of them and coming back. I used destroyer, cliff's bio, kaplan, schaum's, old exams, and princeton stuff. I thought that all of this was helpful but above all, destroyer was GOLD, make sure you know the basics and honestly it was not all that bad. I thought there were a few random questions, but they have all been discussed ont his forum (in terms of general topics, so nothing crazy)

Gchem: VERY VERY VERY straightforward questions, nothing I didnt really know, don't know what I missed on this section. I read my entire gchem book (because i was a bit rusty on it) this helped me the most, along with destroyer, which reinforced concepts. I recommend really learning everything on kaplan as well. I found that it is crucial to know BASIC concepts and not get caught up studying the intricacies of an one topic.

OCHEM'; straightforward, as everyone has said...nothing crqazy, destroyer/kaplan were enough here

Reading comp: i have never scored less than 22 on reading comp EVER, not even on my first diag. I scored 25 on the last acheiver test, and i ended up with a 17 on the real thing.....i cant stress enough how important it is to PACE YOURSELF

Quantitave Reasoning: a lot of stuff out of nowhere, nothing really prpared me for this. jsut practice as much as you can!!!

PAT: exactly similar to CRACK the PAT in my opinion, acheiver was a bit harder, and kaplan a bit easier...I had been scoring around 18 all along and its what I got.

QR: 16:scared:
    TS: 22
    AA: 20

so here is the question mayeb soem of you can help me with.... should I retake?? MY RC and QR are very bad!!! I dont knwo what happen. My GPA is around a 3.5 with science around 3.4.... I have been a dental asdsistant for four years, reseacrh, and a lot of other stuff with some good letter of rec....RETAKE??!

Please feel free to ask me any questions!!!
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Mamona

Mamona 5+ Year Member

Aug 5, 2007
    I don't think you should retake. Your science scores are very good and I have heard that most school have 16 as cut of for score and you are right there..... also you got that on QR some school don't care about that. With RC it is a little bit more tricky, Is English your second language??? I wouldn't retake but I don't know if that score is enough in RC....
  4. smile101

smile101 2+ Year Member

Dec 4, 2007
    I think your overall scores are good. Depending on where you wanna go...if ur instate school is crazy about instate ppl only then you def have a chance. I don't wanna hold you on my words as for you to retake or not, I personally wouldn't...and thats only because ur overall and sci avg is good, not to mention ur extracurriculars!!!

I have a question though...I am not as good with RC, the most I have scored is 20 and thats only recently. When you said that you had been doing good on that section, I assume that you are good with time management and pacing. Then is it the question types that got you involved or passages? I am still trying to figures out whats going to save me on this section...
  5. alltheway

alltheway 2+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2007
    you will get accepted somewhere. So I think you should get some rest and enjoy. Great job
  6. bruin432

bruin432 2+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2008
    So, english is my first language...although my score doesnt reflect that lol, but I am in, i dotn know.

As for reading comp, I have never scored below a 21, a swear it was just a LONG, difficult passage, and then I ran out of time for the last (shorter one). just be careful and time manage

So, I am in a blunder....bittersweet feeling :)
  7. Predentknight

Predentknight 5+ Year Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Your scores are solid. Congrats! For Bio you mentioned schuams and cliffs did you read those cover to cover or just skim certain sections. Also, for Organic was there many questions regarding carbohydrates and amino acids and proteins? Anything that came as a surprise?
  8. allstardentist

allstardentist All-Star 10+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    just roll with it. you should be fine i think.
  9. bruin432

bruin432 2+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2008
    nope no sugar stuff!! ( i was surprised) but, that was my test, it is possible that you may get something else. Read them cover to cover (Cliffs, Schaum) ut I am also a bio that did not hurt. i think my 24 in bio was lucky because I did not think I was going to do all that well.

And to all of you with the advice, thank you, it is appreciated!!
  10. OMFS08

OMFS08 Tooth Extractornator 7+ Year Member

May 11, 2008
    Apply, your good trust me.
  11. Orgodox

Orgodox 7+ Year Member

Feb 8, 2008
    New York
    Great job on the sciences! Just wondering...Did you focus most of your time there? Thanks
  12. userah

userah 7+ Year Member

Aug 9, 2007
    damn nice scores! rocked the sciences! QR is least looked at section so I think you should be fine. 17 for RC isn't great but I think your other scores more than make up for it. Apply early and I think you'll be fine. Good luck =)

again congrats on the score. really well done!
  13. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics 7+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Are you kidding me? What amazes me is that you read all that. How long have you been studying and do you suggest the DD over anything?
  14. bruin432

bruin432 2+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2008
    hey ya'll, thanks!! So, funny but, i spent a lot of time on sciences but just as much time on RC and QR, like I said, I really was thrown off by the RC score, because I had never done that bad....but, hopefully the sciences will compensate....feel free to PM me with more Q's!

LOL, i actually did read all of that, I have been studying for like 5 months...I know, I am insane, it ruined my life. :)
  15. AFF2009

AFF2009 2+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2008
    In my opinion u dont need to retake, u should just say AHHHHHHHHHHHHh it's over and breathe, U did great!!

Question on the RC? do u recall the topics? just currious if u had the ethics passage?

And also for QR did u have crazy trig identities?

and GOOD LUCK with the rest of your application :thumbup::thumbup:
  16. bruin432

bruin432 2+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2008
    lol.........that ETHICS passage ruined me. the worst thing ever. :)
  17. jigabodo

jigabodo Dentist 10+ Year Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    I think you will be fine too. Good luck on the rest. :)
  18. bruin432

bruin432 2+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2008
    thanks for all the feedback. :)
  19. CannabisWERD

CannabisWERD 2+ Year Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Could you say what your practice test scores were for the quantitative reasoning and the reading comp, i would appreciate it . thanks good job btw
  20. drtoothy

drtoothy 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2007
    yeah that ethics passage definitely killed me too.

good job though...i think your gpa makes up for it - you should be fine!
  21. bruin432

bruin432 2+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Okay soo: I really can not remember all my scores, since I had taken like 12 practice tests but I can give you my last TS and my Last Acheiver

TS: #2 Acehiver
    AA:20 19
    TS:20 17
    Bio: 19 16
    OC:21 19
    GC:21 17
    RC:21 25
    QR:18 17

hope that helps

I also thought the real thing was different than the practice tests, meaning the test questions were not the same style...