1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

DAT Done 6/20 :)

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Epictetus21, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Epictetus21

Dentist 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Just got home from Prometric. My scores are:

AA: 20
    TS: 21
    PAT: 20

Bio: 20
    GC: 23
    OC: 21
    QR: 17
    RC: 19

I was really surprised by the 19 on RC. I was getting 22s in Topscore, and I thought I nailed almost every question. There were a lot of "tone" and interpretive type questions though, so those are very subjective. I used Destroyer for Bio, straight Kaplan for GChem/OChem, and Topscore to practice everything. Destroyer was perfect for the Biology section, I knew it cold, and there was only one question that I really had to stop and think about. The Gen Chem and O-Chem were just like Kaplan. I kind of planned on taking a hit on QR, because I spent all my time on the sciences, and just decided that it wouldn't really count for much in the end. The PAT wasn't too bad. I used Barrons and Kaplan for strategy and Topscore to do general practice, but aside from that I really didn't do a whole lot of practice. Overall I am pleased with how it turned out.

#1 Epictetus21, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. osimsDDS

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    what do you mean the gchem/ochem were just like kaplan, do you mean kaplan blue book or the online material like subject tests??? thanks

4. Neuro178

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Nice scores!! I'm hoping for scores like that too. :)

5. Bruinlove

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Good job!
    I haven't seen anyone with score below 20 in these few days.
    Looks like this is gonna be a tough year! :thumbup:

6. Epictetus21

Dentist 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Just the standard Kaplan blue book (2007-2008 version). I didn't take the class or have the online materials. The gen-chem overview is great in the Kaplan book, and the reactions covered in the o-chem section are good to go.

7. osimsDDS

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    thanks...btw did you just use the search and destroy method for the RC section, like did you read the answer and then try to find it in the passage or did you read the passage first and then go back to the answers??? thanks

8. harrygt

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Nice collectino of 20s. You will definitely get in one of the nation's dental school this year. Yeah, a PAT of 20 would make me very happy too. By the way, you said Bio was easy for ya, and that you did not think hard on any question except one of them. So what happaened? Why 20? Careless mistakes? I would also want to hear the answer to Osim's question. It would also be great if you could update the post with a brief description of the type of questions in each section. THanks

9. Dmitry Malayev

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    pretty solid scores, very nice. Congrats!

10. Epictetus21

Dentist 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Yeah, I did 100% search and destroy. I think reading the whole passage takes too long if you can get good at just scanning for key words from questions.

11. Epictetus21

Dentist 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    To be honest, I don't know which ones I missed! There were a few that were "choose which of the following is most representative of...," "which process happens fastest," and "which one of these is incorrectly described" questions that aren't as clear cut. Maybe I missed a few of those.

As far as types of questions, there was a very even distribution of the standard molecular biology/ecology/genetics/animal diversity/cell bio. Like I said, it was very similar to the types of questions on Topscore, and the extra details were covered in Destroyer.

The chemistries were pretty evenly split between conceptual and calculations/reactions. Maybe a little heavier on conceptual.

12. Simply_Unique

Simply_Unique Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Good scores...congrats! I hope I do as well when I take mine. :)