DAT done! 7/19/2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vcl238

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So, i've been using this forum for over a year now and it really was a big help. All those high scores freaked me into studying :D

Anyway, I figured I should write something about my experience so here it goes.

Here are my scores,
PAT 21
QR 20
RC 20
BIO 22
GC 25
OC 25
TS 24
AA 22

Materials used: DAT destroyer 2010, KBB, Schaum's outlines biology, Chad's videos (the old ones my boyfriend gave me, no quizzes with them), DATQvault (free 100 qs), Kaplan online test (my friend gave me his password so used some of it), 2007 sample test, Topscore, Examcrackers biology, Baron's DAT

I purposely scheduled my test at 12.30pm instead of 8am just because on regular days, I don't wake up till 8.30am. I wanted my brain to be alert during the whole time of my test. If you wake up late, you might consider scheduling your test a little later in the day.

The day before, I drove to the test center and I am very glad that I did because there was no way I would be able to find it on the day itself without being late. Google maps did not help me very much. I actually
"accidentally" found the prometric center. So, you if dont know where the center is, check it out the day before.

The day of, I woke up early and did some light studying. Going over some
math formulas etc etc.

I did not have any problems with my eraser. The marks came off very easily. No spitting or anything like that. I dont know. Maybe the erasers in Texas are special. The only "problem" I had was mistaking my eraser for my mouse because it looked like the mouse :D

In the middle of my math section, all the computers wen't blank. Power outage or something. Don't freak out. You can resume your exam.

PAT -- I did not buy CDP. I didn't have that kind of money to spend. I just used whatever I had. It was really difficult on the real thing. Especially hole punching. I don't know how I got a 21. Sorry if Im not much help here.

QR -- I did not use Math Destroyer. Probably a mistake. But I am still happy with my 20. I just did whatever I had. Sorry, not much help here either. Time is really really important. Alot of wordy problems and I needed the board a lot.

RC -- I just did whatever I had. On the real thing I was freaking out because I couldn't find the answers and I ended up guessing on 5 questions. But it wasn't too bad.

BIO -- It wasn't very "random". Maybe I got lucky. Most of the topics on my test were already covered in the destroyer. First I read Schaum's outlines, it was a book with a lot of words in it. But I did feel like it covered a lot of terms in the Destroyer that I had never seen before. Then I used examcrackers. I really liked this. My friend just gave me an old version. I was very well organized and made it easy to learn. I did the destroyer 3 times and reworked all the wrong problems twice. I only used DATQvault once, so I dont know enough to say about that site.
Oh, lets not forget Baron's DAT. Full of mistakes. But I did them anyway, just to work more problems.

GC -- I watched chad's videos and worked through problems in the Destroyer 3 times, Baron's DAT, KBB, kaplan online problems and that was it. The test was pretty basic. I think if you can do the destroyer, this section shouldn't be a problem.

OC -- Same as GC. The day of the test I decided to memorize the different tests, like Benedict's test, Tollens reagent etc etc. Thank God. So, don't neglect topics you dont like. In my case anyway.

Topscore, I really can't give you my scores just because I dont have them anymore. I only sat through 1 full practice test. For the other 2, I would stop on QR because I would be so tired and lazy. But I remember that I never got above a 20 on any of the science sections. I had 17s, 18s, 19s. But I made sure to go over all the questions. Then all the questions I got wrong. And made sure I knew how to do all of the problems.

If I can do it so can you. SDN really freaked me out with all those high Topscore scores. So, don't get freaked out if you don't make 20s. I didn't, and I still did pretty good.

One more thing I did was pray pray pray. I had a lot of people praying for me and I was even praying during the test when I couldn't solve problems.

I hope this was helpful.. If you have any questions...just ask... and good luck to the rest of yall studying :)

If you need some studying materials, I have some I need to sell.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=842373

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What a chilled performance. It was like: 'I didn't have all the materials or couldn't afford some and just did with whatever I could. I also skipped QR in my practice exams cuz I was tired'...lol Yet you still scored a 22 with such a chilled approach. Wow, very impressive.

What a chilled performance. It was like: 'I didn't have all the materials or couldn't afford some and just did with whatever I could. I also skipped QR in my practice exams cuz I was tired'...lol Yet you still scored a 22 with such a chilled approach. Wow, very impressive.

his/her GPA is probably 4.1

Members don't see this ad :)
-thanks...foreverkhaled
-letsgotodentalschool...Well I did do all the math problems..I just never finished them when I took the practice tests... I would do 10 and get worked up because I couldn't figure them out..so I would just quit... please don't get me wrong....I did study hard for about 2 months and I utilized all the materials I had...
- addis4ever... haha...4.1?! I dont even have a 3.8!

-thanks...foreverkhaled
-letsgotodentalschool...Well I did do all the math problems..I just never finished them when I took the practice tests... I would do 10 and get worked up because I couldn't figure them out..so I would just quit... please don't get me wrong....I did study hard for about 2 months and I utilized all the materials I had...
- addis4ever... haha...4.1?! I dont even have a 3.8!

great job though!! seriously! all the hard work and time put into it really pays off. I'm glad it's over and time 4 u to chillax ;)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thats me congratulating you :D

How specfic were the RC questions, i mean r they doable in the 1 hr alotted time or did u end up having to rush through a few?

In my case, My first passage took me about 22 minutes. It took a while to find some answers. The 2nd one was a lot easier but the third one kicked my butt. I didn't have time to finish. So I just guessed.

Some of the questions required the use of common knowledge and some of the questions were applied questions. Like, so XYZ happens, what would be the likely result. You have to apply the knowledge you learn from the passage.

Hope this helps.

Wow, congrats on the great scores! :thumbup: Especially having not used all the "standard" SDN study materials, that's great!
G'luck with the cycle :xf:

What are important tests in Ochem? I have not found a list of them for the DAT. Thank you.

Well, I can't say what is or isn't important because I only took one version of the DAT. I just searched SDN for the tests. There is a thread where people post different tests they think are important. I just memorized that. I don't have that thread bookmarked anymore so just do a little searching and you'll find it.