DAT done!! 7/20 Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bballa775

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First I have to thank everyone on sdn who posted previous breakdowns, this helped tremendously!

PAT 21 (87.9%)
QR 19 (91.2%)
RC 22 (84.4%)
Bio 22 (95.9%)
GC 24 (97.7%)
OC 23 (94.4%)
TS 23 (97.8%)
AA 22 (97.0%)

I studied for 10 weeks, 8-10 hrs a day with every Saturday off for work.

Basically I used Dentalworks' schedule the first 4-5 weeks, but modified it. The rest of the time I made my own schedule to cram in all the practice problems.

Ok so here is the breakdown of how the DAT went for me:

Biology: Cliffs Ap, KBB, class text books, DESTROYER
I have always been pretty strong in bio and have a good undergrad background. Basically I found this test to be as random as everyone has been saying. With that said, it is possible to do well if you put in the time. Use Cliffs to refresh all the general material you forgot over the years and then Destroyer & DATQV for the random info Cliffs doesn't have. Every single one of my questions on the DAT could be found in the Bio Destroyer somewhere. I think 3 were word for word. It was intensely frustrating to be sitting in that chair and not remembering a fact that romano had said because I didn't think it would be important. EVERYTHING is fair game in the destroyer

GC: Chads vids, text book, Destroyer
Really chads videos are all you need here and the destroyer is excellent practice. If you don't have any trouble with either of these sources you are ready for the test. The DAT was very simple, I think I had about 3 calculations and the rest were either set up or concepts. I had 2 random lab technique questions, but they werent impossible.

OC: Destroyer, text book
I have a very strong orgo background, mainly because my teacher was ridiculously hard, so I didnt study much for this section. I am actually dissapointed with my orgo score. On the test I had simple reactions, acid/base, lab technique (where I lost my points), and some concepts.

PAT: Crack PAT
I was never amazing with this section. I thought the key holes/TFE were harder than CrackPAT but nothing crazy. My angles were actually not as bad as CrackPAT. Hole punching & cubes were a joke. Pattern folding was pretty hard for me, but that was always my worst section. Basically if you are good with CrackPAT you'll be set for this test. Maybe consider buying achiever, as I have heard its representative of the keyhole/TFE

RC: Crack DAT Reading
Crack DAT reading was very representative of how my passages went. I felt like I was actually doing another crack reading test. However, on the DAT there was far less tone questions, so it was pretty simple. I think the only ones I got wrong were questions like "what word would best summarize this sentence." I didn't know what the words meant so I was SOL. My stragety was spend the first 5 minutes reading the passage and make a quick mental map of where everything is, very general nothing specific. After reading, search & destroy worked perfectly. My passages were on Herbal medicine, antibiotics & bone fractures. All easy reads & interesting so that helped.

QR: Math Destroyer, text book, khans
Ahhh my most dreaded section. Math destroyer is deff enough for this section and maybe review your text book for concepts you don't understand. I just never liked math so it is what it is. Best stragety though is to skip anything you don't know how to set up by the time your finished reading the question. I skipped the first 6 on my test and thought I was ****ed. After that I went on a pretty good streak of like 20 in a row and deff calmed down. There are easy ones in the end so make sure you see all 40 questions. I finished with 15 minutes left and had time to go back and answer more once I knew I finished the majority and was very calm. Even questions you know how to do but will take a long time, skip them and come back later.

Overall, I can't complain Im very satisfied with my scores and soooo happy to be done its unreal. However, I thought I would have scored higher due to the fact that my practice scores were pretty good. If I had to do it over again, I would'nt have done anything different except do the BIO destroyer 3 times. I would have got a 30 in bio without a problem. Im still pissed about orgo but whatever man.

Here's my topscore results for comparision: My last topscore was almost dead on.

Test 1:
Bio/GC/OC/PAT/QR/RC/TS/AA
22 21 23 18 16 22 22 21

Test 2:
21 19 25 19 18 23 21 21

Test 3:
21 23 28 21 19 21 23 22

Also, the 2009 ADA is the closest thing to the actual DAT. I thought the 2009 ADA bio was a lot easier. This test has deff evolved but the preparation materials today have also evolved so work hard and you will not have a problem with this test. Trust that all the work you put in will put you in a position to be ready for this test!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow, all awesome scores, congrats!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Mind posting ur 2009 ADA test results? To see how they match up?!
Thanks!

I bought the 2009 ada the day before and only took the sciences seriously and glanced at everything else.

I got 92/100 on the total science
The PAT was easier, reading comp was the same as the real test - very easy, and the math was a lot harder on 2009 than the real thing

Members don't see this ad :)
what were your CDR scores like?
Congratulations!! I really envy those scores! Time to relax and unwind for a bit ;)

My Crack PAT scores were a gradual increase starting with the first two tests being a 16 then to an 18 then eventually to a 20 and 21