Tommy43087

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Status
Dentist
Well im really happy its over with, but im extremely unhappy because i know i missed a couple of cutoffs. I studied for about 2 months but very little each day, i worked and am currently taking both ochem over summer(just started the 2nd) Dont get me wrong i studied every chance i had EVERY day, but not solely for the DAT. I'd say on average i studied 3 hours a day for the 2 months. And by the way i thought it would be a great idea taking ochem while studying for the DAT because its on there, definitely not the case! Well i guess lets get down to the breakdown.

PAT-22
Bio -22
Gen Chem - 21
Orgo - 20
Reading C - 18(pianoed)
QR - 15(F**K)
TS - 21
AA - 19

Bio-I used Cliffs AP Bio, Kaplans(not much though) and destroyer. Well I can tell you straight off the bat that 90% of the Sh** i studied and drilled in my head was not on their, it was definitely random, but doable. One question was a picture i had never seen in my life, but it wasnt too hard to answer the question related to it. All i can say it if you are trying to kill this section well than study ever single little thing, but if you are trying to do decent well its just all about how much you know and the actual questions they ask you. Overall i think bio majors have the upperhand in this section.

G Chem-Used Destroyer, and Kaplan Review notes (not much though) I really didnt study G chem too much , i was pretty good at it(at least the second semester) so most of the material i had down. I would say kaplan is good enough and destoyer isnt worth it unless you really need to practice what you might be lacking. But mostly conceptual some calculations, but basic. I really screwed up on this section, First i took the longest in this section and left only 23 mins for Ochem, and second at the end of the NS sections for some god damn reason one of my question was marked incomplete and the timer stopped so one point went bye-bye in this section automatically.

Ochem-Used destoyer. I just finished taking the first semester over summer so that helped but their were a couple second semester questions that i didnt know yet so i most likely go tthose wrong although had to make an educated organic guess. This section was fairly straight forward not trick and not too difficult, i guarentee i would have got a higher score if i had finished semester 2 before taking this.

PAT-CDP obviously! Well my CDP scores ranged from 22-26, so i guess it was close to the real thing, scorewise. First of all some section were way easier some were way harder. Apeture passing- harder, TFE-ALOT HARDER(this was my bread n butter on CDP and i was dying on the real thing), Angles- it was about the same, Hole punching- def harder, Cubes-alot easier, Pattern folding- somewhat harder. Keep in mind that in every section, even the hardest one, there were still a good amount of easy questions. For thi section i guess i would reccomend CDP obviously, and practice, i somehow miscalculated my time in this section and got screwed on patter folding even though on my practice tests i would finish at least 15 mins early, So be careful but not TOO time consuming careful as i was because it will ultimately, negatively affect you.

Reading-Well i got pianoed, 2nd passage. First i would like to say that the passage is not that bad, but because of all the hype around it i freaked out when i saw the title. I luckily recollected myself and did the best i could on it. I spent too much time on it and had too guesss the last 3 answers on the last passage. So that kinda screwed me up. Just tay cool and dont freak out whether its piano, frap, or whatver it might be...these passages are surely not as bad as you are imagining them to be! But i can definitely tell you that i wouldve saved a little time if i didnt freak out a little when i saw it! So dont make that mistake.

QR- Well i royally Fu**ed up in this section. The questions were NOT hard at all, there was just a time constraint(obviously) and i honestly didnt study much for this section due to the lack of time i had. On this secition i ran out of time and had to guess like 5, and im sure i got them all wrong(I ALWAYS do) Im not going to give anyadvice on this section, becuase mmy score shows my lack oif ability to give advice on it.

Overall the test wasnt too bad, i wish i had more time to study, but whats done is whats done. I missed some cutoffs for sure, and i am just praying that these scores are decent enough to get me into somewhere. My cumGPA is 3.29, sciGPA 3.59, BCP 3.55. I have a couple things goin against me this app cycle, i have not completed all my prereqs, i need both ochems(although i just finished the first and will be done with the 2nd in a month) and physics 2 lecture(completing this fall). Also i am coming from a CSU so that a definite disadvantage. Whatever advice you guys are willing to give i appreciate it.

Emmie

10+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
did great overall, good to go, congrats!

what strategy did you use for the piano? about how many paragraphs were there?

dentalmon

7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
man.. idk y everyone do so bad on QR.. but overall you did well.. congrats!

May 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
nice breakdown..I'm studying for DAT right now, taking it in september.

I'm studying bio, and I'm wondering what the heck they put on this test if a lot of the material is stuff thats not in the review books.

Are u saying that the bio questions were not covered in cliffs or kaplan??!

cmills66

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Rochester, NY
Status
Pre-Dental
Well im really happy its over with, but im extremely unhappy because i know i missed a couple of cutoffs. I studied for about 2 months but very little each day, i worked and am currently taking both ochem over summer(just started the 2nd) Dont get me wrong i studied every chance i had EVERY day, but not solely for the DAT. I'd say on average i studied 3 hours a day for the 2 months. And by the way i thought it would be a great idea taking ochem while studying for the DAT because its on there, definitely not the case! Well i guess lets get down to the breakdown.

PAT-22
Bio -22
Gen Chem - 21
Orgo - 20
Reading C - 18(pianoed)
QR - 15(F**K)
TS - 21
AA - 19
I feel your pain...same test, same QR result as you. Good luck with your applications dude!

OP
Tommy43087

Tommy43087

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Status
Dentist
did great overall, good to go, congrats!

what strategy did you use for the piano? about how many paragraphs were there?
I just read it, and a little search and destroy. Just keep cool that is the main thing, because like i said it is NOT as bad as you are probably imagining!

man.. idk y everyone do so bad on QR.. but overall you did well.. congrats!
Yea i really am good at math, but like calulus and trig not geometry and high school stuff like that! thanks though!

nice breakdown..I'm studying for DAT right now, taking it in september.

I'm studying bio, and I'm wondering what the heck they put on this test if a lot of the material is stuff thats not in the review books.

Are u saying that the bio questions were not covered in cliffs or kaplan??!
Honestly i dont remember much, and if i did i wouldnt realy say it lol but the best you can do is just study your ass off and take in as much info as possible because it all comes down to the random stuff you know, but you cant expect bio not to be somewhat random because it is an enourmous subject with so many different details. Cliffs is good and probably the best supplement, but personally the stuff i soaked up in my classes is what got me through this section.

I feel your pain...same test, same QR result as you. Good luck with your applications dude!
I know! Damn QR! thanx man. Good luck to you too.

OP
Tommy43087

Tommy43087

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Status
Dentist
How can you be good at math with a 15 QR?
you really dont have to come in here making smug comments, READ my sentence i said calc and trig not geometry and theres alot of it.Hopefully you can kill the QR and be proud of it but since you cant read probably gunna bomb RC:laugh:

cmills66

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Rochester, NY
Status
Pre-Dental
How can you be good at math with a 15 QR?
Its not whether you are good at math in general (b/c i think >95% of people could ace the math if they had more time), but how well you have prepared for this section, just like any other section. I would say I'm pretty good at math (aced calc I, II, and probability theory), but due to my lack of prep, i have a 15 QR. plus...that time constraint is a b***h!

Pwn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Relax I'm trollin brah, but really I doubt you're "good" at math. You prolly aced your classes because they were ridiculously easy, 15 QR is like what under 50% percentile ?

vlct0ria

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Nice job...how much time did you spend studying?

prsndwg

7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental

PAT-22
Bio -22
Gen Chem - 21
Orgo - 20
Reading C - 18(pianoed)
QR - 15(F**K)
TS - 21
AA - 19

Bio-I used Cliffs AP Bio, Kaplans(not much though) and destroyer. Well I can tell you straight off the bat that 90% of the Sh** i studied and drilled in my head was not on their, it was definitely random, but doable. One question was a picture i had never seen in my life, but it wasnt too hard to answer the question related to it. All i can say it if you are trying to kill this section well than study ever single little thing, but if you are trying to do decent well its just all about how much you know and the actual questions they ask you. Overall i think bio majors have the upperhand in this section.

G Chem-Used Destroyer, and Kaplan Review notes (not much though) I really didnt study G chem too much , i was pretty good at it(at least the second semester) so most of the material i had down. I would say kaplan is good enough and destoyer isnt worth it unless you really need to practice what you might be lacking. But mostly conceptual some calculations, but basic. I really screwed up on this section, First i took the longest in this section and left only 23 mins for Ochem, and second at the end of the NS sections for some god damn reason one of my question was marked incomplete and the timer stopped so one point went bye-bye in this section automatically.

Ochem-Used destoyer. I just finished taking the first semester over summer so that helped but their were a couple second semester questions that i didnt know yet so i most likely go tthose wrong although had to make an educated organic guess. This section was fairly straight forward not trick and not too difficult, i guarentee i would have got a higher score if i had finished semester 2 before taking this.

PAT-CDP obviously! Well my CDP scores ranged from 22-26, so i guess it was close to the real thing, scorewise. First of all some section were way easier some were way harder. Apeture passing- harder, TFE-ALOT HARDER(this was my bread n butter on CDP and i was dying on the real thing), Angles- it was about the same, Hole punching- def harder, Cubes-alot easier, Pattern folding- somewhat harder. Keep in mind that in every section, even the hardest one, there were still a good amount of easy questions. For thi section i guess i would reccomend CDP obviously, and practice, i somehow miscalculated my time in this section and got screwed on patter folding even though on my practice tests i would finish at least 15 mins early, So be careful but not TOO time consuming careful as i was because it will ultimately, negatively affect you.

Reading-Well i got pianoed, 2nd passage. First i would like to say that the passage is not that bad, but because of all the hype around it i freaked out when i saw the title. I luckily recollected myself and did the best i could on it. I spent too much time on it and had too guesss the last 3 answers on the last passage. So that kinda screwed me up. Just tay cool and dont freak out whether its piano, frap, or whatver it might be...these passages are surely not as bad as you are imagining them to be! But i can definitely tell you that i wouldve saved a little time if i didnt freak out a little when i saw it! So dont make that mistake.

QR- Well i royally Fu**ed up in this section. The questions were NOT hard at all, there was just a time constraint(obviously) and i honestly didnt study much for this section due to the lack of time i had. On this secition i ran out of time and had to guess like 5, and im sure i got them all wrong(I ALWAYS do) Im not going to give anyadvice on this section, becuase mmy score shows my lack oif ability to give advice on it.

Overall the test wasnt too bad, i wish i had more time to study, but whats done is whats done. I missed some cutoffs for sure, and i am just praying that these scores are decent enough to get me into somewhere. My cumGPA is 3.29, sciGPA 3.59, BCP 3.55. I have a couple things goin against me this app cycle, i have not completed all my prereqs, i need both ochems(although i just finished the first and will be done with the 2nd in a month) and physics 2 lecture(completing this fall). Also i am coming from a CSU so that a definite disadvantage. Whatever advice you guys are willing to give i appreciate it.
How so? are you for real? does anybody esle approves this statement? cuz it gets me concerned!

ps. Good job on your TS..Solid score

OP
Tommy43087

Tommy43087

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Status
Dentist
Relax I'm trollin brah, but really I doubt you're "good" at math. You prolly aced your classes because they were ridiculously easy, 15 QR is like what under 50% percentile ?
Yea your right Calc 1 & 2 were ridiculously easy and i simply suck at math.

Nice job...how much time did you spend studying?
Thanx, i spent about 2 months but only about 3hrs a day avg.

How so? are you for real? does anybody esle approves this statement? cuz it gets me concerned!

ps. Good job on your TS..Solid score
Thanx dude...but yea ive been told by many people that its less "appealing" to come from a CSU also look at the stats, for example if you look at USC's entering class last year there was only one student out of the whole class that got accpeted from a CSU and not a specific one i mean out of ALL of them. Not trying to discourage you just going off of stats and what ive been told, but it really sucks cuz i know people who have done a couple prereqs at my school over summer and they go to UCLA and USC and they say that the difficulty level is the same other than my friend that goes to USC said that in some of his classes there are bell curves meaning only a limited number of A's and B's etc are given out.

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
Congrats buddy!
Good scores considering the fact that your PC took you through hell a week before the exam.

supraman

Boston Celtics
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
Status
Dental Student
Don't worry, a 15 QR is nothing to worry about. Your DAT scores will get you into school, good luck @ interviews.

Pwn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Yea your right Calc 1 & 2 were ridiculously easy and i simply suck at math.
I agree with both statements. Sick of people thinking they r pretty pwn @ math when they get an A in a joke class and then get defensive about their math ability when they get a :thumbdown: 15 on their QR. *QR is sooooo hard, not fair I was sooooo good at calculus*

May 15, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Congrats on the scores! It's quite annoying that the computer freezes. Mine froze about 4 times for 10-15 seconds each time. I was hoping that it would crash so I could reschedule. LOL. Other times, it would not accept my answer and I had to continuously click the answer. If you double click the radio button, it will deselect your answer which was also annoying. GL with your apps.

ucla2134

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
I agree with both statements. Sick of people thinking they r pretty pwn @ math when they get an A in a joke class and then get defensive about their math ability when they get a :thumbdown: 15 on their QR. *QR is sooooo hard, not fair I was sooooo good at calculus*
Yea, dental students and dentists need to know a lot of math

OP: you should be proud of your RC score since you got piano. Congrats btw

OP
Tommy43087

Tommy43087

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Status
Dentist
Congrats buddy!
Good scores considering the fact that your PC took you through hell a week before the exam.
Thanx alot man, yea thank god its over with, and hopefully no retake cuz of the 15!
Don't worry, a 15 QR is nothing to worry about. Your DAT scores will get you into school, good luck @ interviews.
Thanx and I HOPE your right.

Honestly I can care less if I or anyone else considers myself "good" at math, but honestly i am a high school dropout so i never really took geometry,(i went directly into trig when i decided to go to college, and recieved an A, and the class average was about 65) So trying to teach myself geometry wasnt easy, and i was only able to study for 3 hrs a night avg for about 2 mnths (because of work and summer school). So honestly I really dont give a **** about you complaining about whatever you are saying. Ace QR and be proud of yourself i can care less, i def wont give you props, you come on my page and jus say stupid ****. Go troll somewhere else.

Thanx

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
Thanx alot man, yea thank god its over with, and hopefully no retake cuz of the 15!
I think you're still above the cutoff point for most schools. So, it shouldn't be that big of a deal!
Thanx
Good Luck!

Pwn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental

Note this poster has a 14 on the QR. (Lulz)

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
Note this poster has a 14 on the QR. (Lulz)
What does that have to do with anything?
Just because he/she has a low QR score doesn't mean he/she can't state some of the facts associated with QR.

Pwn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
What does that have to do with anything?
Just because he/she has a low QR score doesn't mean he/she can't state some of the facts associated with QR.

Lul u cant see it? Low QR people rushing to tell each other how their low QR isnt dat bad!

OP
Tommy43087

Tommy43087

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Status
Dentist
Lul u cant see it? Low QR people rushing to tell each other how their low QR isnt dat bad!
Dude you are truly a loser...

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
"QR People?"
What's this, some sort of a cult I'm not aware of?

I don't see why people shouldn't support each other.
Obviously, there's a trend of lower QR scores this year and as we all know, schools will overlook this score if it's not too low and if they think you're competitive enough in other areas of your DAT exam/Application.

A piece of friendly advice:
If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all.

Pwn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
"QR People?"
What's this, some sort of a cult I'm not aware of?

r u rtarded?

I don't see why people shouldn't support each other.
Obviously, there's a trend of lower QR scores this year and as we all know, schools will overlook this score if it's not too low and if they think you're competitive enough in other areas of your DAT exam/Application.

A piece of friendly advice:
If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all.

Your advice is not constructive.

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
Your advice is not constructive.
Then continue making a fool out of yourself on this forum and we'll see how people will support you, when you need help/feedback from them!:)

Jun 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Ever heard of the phrase "you can't teach speed"? The majority of low scores is due to the time (or lack of) constraint, not a lack of understanding of the principles or the inability to solve the question.

Pwn

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Ever heard of the phrase "you can't teach speed"? The majority of low scores is due to the time (or lack of) constraint, not a lack of understanding of the principles or the inability to solve the question.
no

GiTsticker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2009
Manhattan
Status
Dental Student
Never heard that phrase. It is a test of speed and basic knowledge. The OP admits that he didn't spend much time practicing this section which explains his score. There are many ways to decrease the amount of time spent per question on QR. People reading this who haven't taken the test yet, don't neglect this section because you feel that it is beyond your ability to do math questions fast. It really just takes a little bit of studying and a lot of practice.

Yes you can be good at math and fail this section. Pwn, you admitted you're a troll. Stop trolling. Everyone else, do yourselves and all of us a favor and do not respond to his/her comments.

Last edited:

SupArora

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey good scores!! did u have a lot of trig like law of sines cosines and stuff and double angle sin2a like stuff on the exam?? Just want an idea...and wat CDP did u use 5 test or 10 test?

Last edited: