DAT Done 8-26-08! Full Breakdown!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthodocs12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally! So happy I am done:cool:!Happy with my scores, and really happy to get my life back I lived through the DAT! SDN has been very helpful to me, with clarifying any questions or concerns I had.
I took the DAT yesterday at 5pm, the only time slot available. I am not really a morning person, and I am used to afternoon tests, so it wasn't a big deal for me.

My scores:

Subject Score Percentile
PAT 22 97.6:D
QR 19 81.8
RC 17 26.3 (???):(
Bio 22 95.8
Gchem 24 94.5
Ochem 23 93.7
TS 23 98.3 :laugh:
AA 21 91.5:cool:

I am really happy with these scores(except RC). I studied for 3 months, pretty much all I did this summer. Didn't even go to the beach once, and I'm from Florida. Oh well. The things we do...

Breakdown:

PAT: look below.

QR: very happy w a 19. 2 months ago, my math knowledge was that of a 9th grade high school student. I used Destroyer for practice problems, and read through Kaplan's math section. If u get stuck on a long q, and dont know if u can figure it out, skip it and come back. Time is a huge factor in this section. You'd rather get 4 easy ones right at the end than one hard one right in the beginning.

RC: I guess I was expecting something in this range, maybe a little better. I can't complain, though. Had a passage that every single q was tone. That was rough. Oh well, at least I didnt get frapped or pianoed.

Bio: Yeaaaaa! Did not expect this score. All i can say is know Destroyer. I know there is speculation about people advertising, but hey, I just took the DAT and used the Destroyer as my main guide. This is the most impt. study guide. I had Destroyer and AP Cliffs Bio for reference. I actually read Cliffs first, since I took Bio 2 years ago and forgot most of it. Cliffs is a great refresher, and gives a good broad understanding of the material. Destroyer will give u the details that you need to know. Know every answer, wrong answer and why it is the wrong answer, and read the solutions thoroughly. Not all the information is in the answer choice.

Gchem: Not so many calculations. many of them were just set up. good amount of theory q's. again, Destroyer was money. Especcially the theory q's, very impt. to know those.

Orgo: pretty straightforward except for a few q's. If you know the road maps in Destroyer, and do the q's from there, you should be fine.

Topscore

Test 1 Test 2 Test 3
Subject Score
PAT 21 23 N/A
QR 17 19 21
RC 19 20 19
Bio 17 20 15 (very random questions)
Gchem 18 19 21
Ochem 23 23 23
TS 19 20 19
AA N/A 20 N/A

I found Topscore to be helpful. I dont know how it compares to Achiever or other programs, but it was useful for my needs. I took the first test 3 weeks before my test, used it to assess where I was, and to find points that I needed to work on. compared to CDP and the real DAT, I found the PAT to be much easier. The QR I found to be most challenging and helpful in practicality for the DAT. For RC, this and a few Kaplan passages were the only preparation I used. Guess I should have done more. 17 is not so pretty...Topscore was also great by getting u acquainted w the computer-based test. I treated the last 2 tests as real tests, and only gave myself a 15 min break in between PAT and RC, like the real thing.
Great buy!

CDP

18, 19,20,21,23,23,22,21,(got lazy), (got lazy)

CDP is excellent. I suggest anyone planning on taking the DAT to purchase this. I initially bought the 5 pack, but felt I needed more practice, so upgraded to the 10. As u can see, I was not very good at first. I was scoring 20-21 on the Kaplan and Barron's PAT's, but then I took CDP and went back down to an 18. The angles are much harder on Crack, and the hole punching was impossible at first, with 3 half holes on some of them. But after doing a few Crack PATs, they became easier. Angles I never got better at, usually getting like 9 out of 15. But DAT angles weren't as hard.

Comparison of Crack to DAT:

Key Holes: DAT trickier in a few of the questions, but other than that, about the same.

TFE: I know many say the DAT is harder on this section, but I found it to be about the same.

Angles: DAT much easier than Crack. No question!

Hole Punching: Easier than Crack, but the image was very small on my 15" screen from 1980, so had to look closely. The strategy I used was writing out ABCDE in a table, and for every q started eliminating, unless it was very simple, then I would just choose the right answer:D.

Cube counting: Very simple and straightforward. Much easier than Crack. No illusions on my test.

Pattern Folding: In my opinion, the hardest section on the DAT, relative to Crack. On Crack I was scoring 14-15 on the last few tests, but these were trickier.

Studying: I couldn't study at home. ever. maybe some crack, but besides that, nothing else. I studied at my school library, on a quiet floor. I mostly studied alone, but had 2 friends that were always there for reference: shoutout: O! O! and eliopp! i found it motivating to have study partners. they took the test a week before me, and much procrastination went on after they left.:sleep:.

hope this helped. My top choices are Columbia, Nova, and Buffalo. What do u guys think my chances are? I have a 3.6 overall GPA, with a 3.35 science.

Members don't see this ad.

wow wonderful scores! see you in dental school!!
and i have to agree, Destroyer is great! people who say it is always sounds like an advertisement..but we're only speaking the truth.. i'd say 9/10 buyers are happy.

Members don't see this ad :)