1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

DAT done 8/9/11

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Ozn, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Ozn

Ozn

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I just took my DAT this morning.

PAT- 25
    QR- 22
    RC- 24
    BIO- 20
    OC- 19
    GC-21
    TS- 20
    AA-21

I used the Kaplan blue book for the sciences and I thought was sufficient for this exam though the questions in bio were much more detailed than I was anticipating. I had at least 65% of bio marked and I wonder if the score were scaled down for BIO. I thought I got at least a 24 or 26 on GC and OC, very few questions that I was unsure of. So I am incredibly disappointed with these two sections.

I used the Kaplan for QR. There were 2 questions I could'nt solve but I thought I did good on the rest but maybe not.

For the PAT I thought it was really easy. There were 2 questions on keyholes? (the first section) that I was like wtf but other than that I thought it was very easy. The Kaplan blue book is really easy and I would say it isn't sufficient if you want to get a good score. I bought the 10 practice tests from crack the pat; the first 3 or 4 were really tough on that as I consistently got about 18-19 but after that I got about 20-21. I didn't have enough time to do the the last 4 tests. I strongly recommend using the Crack the DAT PAT, it helped me greatly; they are only practice tests and they don't give you a good strategy but it really helped me.

I also bought Crack the DAT for RC. I thought the questions were less tricky then Crack the DAT but the passages were really long and it took forever for me to go through them. I had to rush for the last 7 questions or so, granted I am a slow reader but still seemed a bit tougher than Crack the DAT RC.

Overall I am very disappointed about my test and I wonder if I should take it again. I have a 3.0 sGPA and 3.1 overall and my DAT might not be enough to compensate my GPAs. I know 21 is a good score but I was hoping for higher score and after I saw the scores I felt nauseous. Any advice?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dusk

Dusk Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Good job, don't retake, you did very well.
    Maybe take some more classes/informal postbac and bump up the gpa.

4. AllahIsGreater

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    nauseous? lol...ur dat is good dude. you have a chance to get in, just make sure you already applied and applied to alot. do u have lots of shadowing?

5. Golfguy

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wouldn't re-take. You could improve on the sciences, but your RC stands out as fantastic. The filler section of QR brought up your AA. I would say take more classes and get A's in them for now.

6. Demps

Dental Student
    yes def. not a retake. you destroyed that RC

7. Ozn

Ozn

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have about 100 hours. I applied to about 20 schools. I don't know, I was talking to some friends from school who are already in d-school and they suggested I retake but I don't want to go through studying for the test again :(.

8. Demps

Dental Student
    I would not retake with 21AA. Your scores are well-balanced where every section is ~20. Don't feel discouraged. If anything, take more classes to boost your cumulative GPA like other people suggested.

9. nondescriptive

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Your scores are too high to risk a retake. You are already in the 93 % tile. I am confident you will definitely get some interviews.