DAT done 9/21

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndoWolv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Long time SDN follower, first time poster. You all have been so helpful with your posts, so I thought I'd give some feedback. Just took it yesterday, here are my scores:

PAT 17 :(
QR 18
RC 19
BIO 19
GC 18 :(
OC 22
TS 19
AA 19

below avg. GPA = 3.15 overall, 3.56 science

Used only the Kaplan book and purchased the DAT Destroyer after it came highly recommended by others in this forum. The Destroyer was the most helpful resource I used. Here is how I studied:

BIO: Purely used Destroyer and Wikipedia. The Destroyer is a must for this section, as I easily recognized a couple of the answer choices in at least half the questions on this section, if not more. Enjoyed the multiple choice format of the Destroyer and supplementing whatever knowledge I needed with some info on Wikipedia. Should've used Campbell's and some of the other recommended books on this forum to get myself into the 20 range, but considering the amount of time spent on Bio, I got what I deserved.

GC: Used Destroyer and Kaplan book. Don't know what happened here. I honestly thought I scored higher than this when I was taking the test.

OC: The Destroyer is a must for this section. I never thought I had the ability to score even a 20 in this section until I used it. After practicing the problems in the Destroyer my confidence skyrocketed, and I was able to do most of the Kaplan orgo questions. If you know and understand the Destroyer questions and concepts, orgo can be transparent.

QR: Only used the Destroyer, which gave me a good review on probability and conversion concepts. Spent a minimal amount of time studying (between 1-2 hours overall) for this section because I knew I could score at least a 17 on math based on what I already know.

Note: There were at least 5 questions that I had no idea how to answer, and I consider myself good at math! One of them required you to know the formula of an ellipse.

RC: I did not spend any time whatsoever studying for this. Like someone said in a different post, its hard in the short term to prepare for what essentially is a long term skill.
The only way to go about this, to me, is to search and destroy. In this order, I would read the very 1st paragraph, skip all the tone questions, go to the questions that were specific about a line or two in the passage, look them up, answer those confidently, and go back to the tone questions at the end when you have already ended up "reading" the passage for all intents and purposes. Honestly I don't know how people read the entire passage and then answer all the questions given the time constraints. But there has to be some speed readers on here, as I only scored in the 54th percentile.

PAT: Crack DAT PAT was great for practice. I believe if I had practiced it more diligently my score would be significantly higher.

I wish I had done better on QR & GC, and I know I could have done better on bio and PAT.

I applied at the end of August. What do you think are my chances of getting interviews? Are my scores good enough to roll with or would anyone suggest a retake? Be brutally honest.

Members don't see this ad.

im almost on the same page as you except i got a 19aa/19ts/21pat. its too late to do a retake now so you just need to sit back and see what happens. thats what im doing and i think we deserve this rest. i can finally focus my time on my classes rather than the dat book.

Indo IMO you should get some interviews. Those socres are pretty solid overall. Good Luck!

hey, i m wondering where did u take ur test (if u r from michigan)...i took the test same day too...

Hey all,

Long time SDN follower, first time poster. You all have been so helpful with your posts, so I thought I'd give some feedback. Just took it yesterday, here are my scores:

PAT 17 :(
QR 18
RC 19
BIO 19
GC 18 :(
OC 22
TS 19
AA 19

below avg. GPA = 3.15 overall, 3.56 science

Used only the Kaplan book and purchased the DAT Destroyer after it came highly recommended by others in this forum. The Destroyer was the most helpful resource I used. Here is how I studied:

BIO: Purely used Destroyer and Wikipedia. The Destroyer is a must for this section, as I easily recognized a couple of the answer choices in at least half the questions on this section, if not more. Enjoyed the multiple choice format of the Destroyer and supplementing whatever knowledge I needed with some info on Wikipedia. Should've used Campbell's and some of the other recommended books on this forum to get myself into the 20 range, but considering the amount of time spent on Bio, I got what I deserved.

GC: Used Destroyer and Kaplan book. Don't know what happened here. I honestly thought I scored higher than this when I was taking the test.

OC: The Destroyer is a must for this section. I never thought I had the ability to score even a 20 in this section until I used it. After practicing the problems in the Destroyer my confidence skyrocketed, and I was able to do most of the Kaplan orgo questions. If you know and understand the Destroyer questions and concepts, orgo can be transparent.

QR: Only used the Destroyer, which gave me a good review on probability and conversion concepts. Spent a minimal amount of time studying (between 1-2 hours overall) for this section because I knew I could score at least a 17 on math based on what I already know.

Note: There were at least 5 questions that I had no idea how to answer, and I consider myself good at math! One of them required you to know the formula of an ellipse.

RC: I did not spend any time whatsoever studying for this. Like someone said in a different post, its hard in the short term to prepare for what essentially is a long term skill.
The only way to go about this, to me, is to search and destroy. In this order, I would read the very 1st paragraph, skip all the tone questions, go to the questions that were specific about a line or two in the passage, look them up, answer those confidently, and go back to the tone questions at the end when you have already ended up "reading" the passage for all intents and purposes. Honestly I don't know how people read the entire passage and then answer all the questions given the time constraints. But there has to be some speed readers on here, as I only scored in the 54th percentile.

PAT: Crack DAT PAT was great for practice. I believe if I had practiced it more diligently my score would be significantly higher.

I wish I had done better on QR & GC, and I know I could have done better on bio and PAT.

I applied at the end of August. What do you think are my chances of getting interviews? Are my scores good enough to roll with or would anyone suggest a retake? Be brutally honest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Went to school at U of M, but am a Queens resident.
I took it at the Queens Blvd. Prometric Center